nhwynter
2009-10-19T18:42:17Z

Ok - I have 8 GB  of OCZ Reaper  PC2-6400 (800Mhz) HPC Edition RAM in my system.  On boot up, I see timings of 6-6-6-18 (2T) and the voltage when I look in the CMOS is set at 1.85v.

The memory has labels on it that says 4-4-4 and 2.2v

I've seen reviews where people have them set to 4-4-4-12.  Which, from my limited knowledge, should be better than the 6-6-6-18. 

Other than the voltage and the 4 timings to set manually (EVGA 780i MoBo), is there anything else I'd have to change?  And SHOULD I change them?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor
Super Dave
2009-10-19T22:48:39Z

When it comes to memory timings, lower (tighter) is better. Your current setting of 6-6-6-18 is actually underclocked from the factory specs, so upping the voltage to 2.2V and setting the timings to 4-4-4-12 should not cause any problems. I like to use Super Pi set at 1M to test my memory when I change timings. Run Super Pi 1M on your current settings a few times and see what kind of time you get. Then, after you change your timings, run Super Pi 1M again a few times and compare it to your old settings. If Super Pi generates any error messages then you have probably pushed things a little too far and will need to loosen the timings a bit.

*EDIT* - The reviews that I have read on NewEgg shows a lot of the purchasers using 4-4-4-15 timings with this RAM, so that's where I would start!

Super Dave
2009-10-19T23:24:32Z

Super Pi Mod v1.5 is free and can be downloaded from HERE.  Anyone not familiar with Super Pi might like to view THIS video.

mentaldisorder
2009-10-22T09:13:31Z

Well, here is a preliminary question for you, is your cpu overclocked?  If so, how much?  If your cpu is not overclocked, then you can just throw the stock timing straight into the bios as you stated, as well as change the voltage.  You should have no issues, unless you overclocked, in which case those timings may not work anymore.

Super Dave
2009-10-22T10:49:38Z

mentaldisorder wrote:

You should have no issues, unless you overclocked, in which case those timings may not work anymore.

Yes, I forgot to ask if anything else was overclocked! Good point!