ice91785
  •  ice91785
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2008-11-29T22:18:12Z

These could be voted on by the users to get a concenous of what would be most in demand. Here would be a few of my picks that I think a lot of users would read/input on a lot.

1) RAID Array guide

2) Intel & Amd overclocking guides

3) Case modding guide/ideas

tanka12345
2008-11-29T23:05:53Z

I'd like to see that too [:D]

My main choice out of those guides is the Overclocking one because I don't know how to and i'm not sure if it's worth OCing a Pentium 4. [:S]

Thanks,

Tanka12345

recoveringknowitall
2008-11-30T01:00:59Z

Tweakguides.com has good general guides, but unfortunately those topics aren't covered. I would be most interested in the OC'ing guides, since I'm still very much a noob in that area.

Tanka: It would be worth OC'ing your P4, even if for no other reason than the experience. The real challenge would be cooling that silicone inferno down.

ice91785
  •  ice91785
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2008-11-30T11:20:44Z

If i had the time i wouldn't mind writing an OCing guide myself but I do not possess a desktop board that will allow for overclocks at this point (laptop and intel mobo in my HTPC)

That said I also do not own an AMD CPU anymore either.....

None-the-less, should I be able to fabricate some equipment and get an editor (for my writing) I would be happy to do such a thing

recoveringknowitall
2008-11-30T14:33:48Z

ice91785 wrote:

get an editor

I don't have any tangible credentials or real world experience per say, but feel that my command of the english language is quite good, as is my spelling and use of appropriate punctuation.

Holla! ;)

bob_on_the_cob
2008-11-30T22:51:21Z

Totally worth overclocking a P4. We use to have guides in the forums. We should work on some.

ice_73
2008-12-01T16:15:16Z

bob_on_the_cob wrote:

Totally worth overclocking a P4. We use to have guides in the forums. We should work on some.

id be up to help if you guys would want me to. 

ice91785
  •  ice91785
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2008-12-01T21:34:43Z

We should do like a group project -- split guides into parts and assign parts to those who volunteer to do them...maybe? [*-)]

ice_73
2008-12-01T21:45:27Z

good idea ice. 

Der Meister
2008-12-01T23:39:53Z

I think a good OC'ing guidline is hard to produce becasue it varies allot from CPU to CPU and from chipset to chipset... A general one I don't think would be a good idea unless someone really knows what they are doing... but the other two, I agree

bob_on_the_cob
2008-12-02T01:04:38Z

I think a few would be good. I general core2duo/core2quad, Athlonx2/phenom, and a i7 guide. It would be a lot for work, but that would offer each platform a good understanding and we could pont out key CPUs like th Q6600 and such.

Der Meister
2008-12-02T01:08:00Z

or E6600... but there is so much more than just Oc'ing the CPU like cooling and RAM selections and then RAM under/over clocking

recoveringknowitall
2008-12-02T01:26:15Z

I think the 1st part of the OC'ing guide should cover the factors common to all cpus, both AMD & Intel. For example: What the multiplier is and how it relates to the front side bus speed. Ram speed, timings, voltage, what a divider is and how it relates to the fsb speed. The importance of cooling and what temp ranges are normal/safe/acceptable for each individual processor and chipset. The utilities for monitoring temps and voltages. I feel that explaining these fundamental things would be a good place to start to get the ball rolling.

bob_on_the_cob
2008-12-02T02:29:28Z

recoveringknowitall wrote:

I think the 1st part of the OC'ing guide should cover the factors common to all cpus, both AMD & Intel. For example: What the multiplier is and how it relates to the front side bus speed. Ram speed, timings, voltage, what a divider is and how it relates to the fsb speed. The importance of cooling and what temp ranges are normal/safe/acceptable for each individual processor and chipset. The utilities for monitoring temps and voltages. I feel that explaining these fundamental things would be a good place to start to get the ball rolling.

Hey If I right that up would you guys help me edit it ?

recoveringknowitall
2008-12-02T02:53:11Z

Send the rough draft to me via a PM and I'll proof read it. At the very least I'll correct spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors. If need be I'll do some recomposition to make it as cohesive as possible. Once I've polished it up a bit as needed, I'll send you a copy. If you're satisfied that I've left your creative vision and/or style of delivery intact and only made corrections/changes for the sake of accuracy, we can submit the copy to "the boys" and have them either sticky it or post it prominently somewhere.

BTW: If you're not satisfied with my input, no worries... I just want to help in any way I can. :)