Drago
  •  Drago
  • 51% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2008-11-07T10:45:12Z

Well man i have officially been reduced to a worse compy than yours.  Im running with an Intel Pentium Pro 200mhz cpu, 128mb of RAM, 1mb of video ram on a matrox gfx card, 2 4gig SCSI hard drives, 12x/16x cd rom drive, Windows 98se and since there is no high speed where im at all my computers use dialup modems, and this compy has a ISA modem that im getting 31k with.  Aside from being older than dirt, it runs real fast, boots in just under 3 min.  Well below is what happened to my main rig.

Well last night i was

surfing the net getting ready to turn it off for the night and suddenly

my compy just shut off. Well it wouldnt power back on when i pressed

the power button, so i pressed it harder a few more times and it

finally came back on. Well no video, hard drive light steady, so i took

out all the stuff from the mobo but my cpu and ram and still nothing.

Took out my RAM and no beeps, so somethings up with the mobo. I figured

either some bug got in there and fried itself or something was wrong

with my power supply. Well after sleeping and taking my mobo out this

morning, i found the problem, a blown capacitor. Evidently when it blew

it leaked over some traces that like really screwed the board.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

So my DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB has bit the dust and ill likely get a replacement motherboard for it once i test the rest of my components just incase the mobo dieing like that caused any damage to them.

bob_on_the_cob
2008-11-07T15:08:51Z

I don't see anything blown?

Drago
  •  Drago
  • 51% (Neutral)
2008-11-07T15:24:27Z

well leaked might be a better word. That small silver capacitor that is laying down on the motherboard with that green crap on it, that is the problem.  That green stuff came out of that capacitor, so that capacitor no longer works like it should.

bob_on_the_cob
2008-11-07T15:37:26Z

Are you sure that's not glue? I may be having a moment of stupidity though.

nelsoncp21
2008-11-07T15:50:17Z

well if you don't get find anything in the near future I will have a socket 939 board available for you soon. hopefully anyway. let me know if you still haven't found anything in a couple of weeks.

amdcrankitup
2008-11-07T17:24:05Z

Drago wrote:

Well man i have officially been reduced to a worse compy than yours.

Hey drago you trying to take my crown get that thing fixed!!!

warlord
2008-11-07T17:49:42Z

I agree with Bob it does look like glue hold that crystal control down. The chip in question is sealed so it would have a very noticable burn and the leak wouldn't be green but rather yellow when fresh as it is sulfer dioxide. What you described sounds as if the vrm control has failed in the psu. Meaning it can no longer regulate a load over 4 amps . It would spin the fans hd's and cdroms but would be unable to send enough current down the 12v rail to volt the cpu up. i have seen this happen alot in fact  my wifes  antec 550w  did this exactly and this will be the 3rd replacement from just such a defect.

amdcrankitup
2008-11-07T18:00:54Z

I agree with warlord ! It you have a compatable PS around try that 1st!Ive got 2 power supplys here at the house with same problem.Good luck!  Funny thing you said about bugs they love Power supplies.

Der Meister
2008-11-07T18:24:36Z

I agree with the glue. Capacitors don't leak green ooze..lol.. Bummer about the baord though. Hope more didnt go with it.

SqUiD267
2008-11-07T19:12:58Z

That scares em a little I have a DFI DK Lanaprty 790 FX. Any precautions can take to avoid that from happeneing?

Drago
  •  Drago
  • 51% (Neutral)
2008-11-07T21:26:44Z

It isnt the PSU, as i got it to fire up my dad's emachines, and i tested my board with his psu and got the exact same results.  When i got this board, i checked every inch of it and that green stuff wasnt there, and it looks new cause its slightly sticky. The only stuff i have ever seen around capacitors are that yellow goop that you find when you open up a power supply and they are on the capacitors and resistors and just about everything. After looking the board over again, the only thing else i have seen that looks weird is this whiteish hazy stuff on the back of the mobo, could be dust, but doesnt look like it.  Either way, that mobo does not run anymore.

Luckily i have the parts to test my rig at work tomorrow and see if everything is ok, and we have an off the record spare mobo that we replaced cause suddenly the com port stopped working on it.  We have lots of lightning and the phone system took a hit and blew out mobos before it with serial ports before, but this time a new mobo didnt fix it, it performed the same as the old one, so i believe it is a good board, but i will find out tomorrow.  If worse comes to worse, i can spend 35 bucks at newegg and get a foxcon s754 board to get me backup and running if it is only the board that is damaged.

Drago
  •  Drago
  • 51% (Neutral)
2008-11-09T01:22:28Z

Well good news, im back up and running on a slightly used Abit KV-85 that my boss at work let me have.  Now if i could just get it to run my RAM at full speed and get my mic working.

bob_on_the_cob
2008-11-09T01:35:31Z

Drago wrote:

Well good news, im back up and running on a slightly used Abit KV-85 that my boss at work let me have.  Now if i could just get it to run my RAM at full speed and get my mic working.

Good to hear! If your using Vista. Check to see if the mic is on mute. Every mic I have used or helped someone fix in vista has been automatically set to mute.

amdcrankitup
2008-11-09T10:59:01Z

bob_on_the_cob wrote:

Well good news, im back up and running on a slightly used Abit KV-85 that my boss at work let me have. 

Good deal glad to hear it. I cant have anyone stealing my crown! LOL[Y]

bob_on_the_cob
2008-11-09T12:08:25Z

amdcrankitup wrote:

[quote user="bob_on_the_cob"]Well good news, im back up and running on a slightly used Abit KV-85 that my boss at work let me have. 

Good deal glad to hear it. I cant have anyone stealing my crown! LOLYes

?? I don't remember this?