timiny_cricket
2008-10-17T07:26:58Z

Hi. Although I've done a lot of research into this, I'm new to building computers, and any advice on whether these parts should work well together would be greatly appreciated. I'm mostly unsure about the motherboard and if everything can plug into it.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
Asus P5Q Pro
Corsair 4GB 6400 C5DHX (2x2GB)
Asus EN9800GT Ultimate --or-- Asus EN9800GTX+
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB (or something similar)
Antec Twelve Hundred case
Viewsonic 19" VA926 DVI --or-- Samsung 19" 943B

I'll be running XP.

What kind of power supply would be recommended for this system?

I haven't decided yet on the keyboard or optical drives, but I don't suppose those things would really have any compatibility issues, right?

I'm unsure about how computers are put together because I've never done it before, and I have a few questions.
- Do the fans that come with the case all plug into the motherboard?
- If so, where can I find information on how many fans a motherboard can support? (Because the Antec case comes with 7 fans + 1 optional, which seems like quite a lot, and I'm not sure if the motherboard will support that many)
- The Asus 9800GTX+ has a 2 x 6 pin power connector, as opposed to a single 6 pin connector for the 9800GT. Does that mean a single 9800GTX+ takes up two SLI slots?
- I intend to play games with this system; is this motherboard a good choice with that in mind?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor
ice_73
2008-10-17T20:48:48Z

timiny_cricket wrote:

Hi. Although I've done a lot of research into this, I'm new to building computers, and any advice on whether these parts should work well together would be greatly appreciated. I'm mostly unsure about the motherboard and if everything can plug into it.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
Asus P5Q Pro
Corsair 4GB 6400 C5DHX (2x2GB)
Asus EN9800GT Ultimate --or-- Asus EN9800GTX+
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB (or something similar)
Antec Twelve Hundred case
Viewsonic 19" VA926 DVI --or-- Samsung 19" 943B

I'll be running XP.

What kind of power supply would be recommended for this system?

I haven't decided yet on the keyboard or optical drives, but I don't suppose those things would really have any compatibility issues, right?

I'm unsure about how computers are put together because I've never done it before, and I have a few questions.
- If so, where can I find information on how many fans a motherboard can support? (Because the Antec case comes with 7 fans + 1 optional, which seems like quite a lot, and I'm not sure if the motherboard will support that many)
- The Asus 9800GTX+ has a 2 x 6 pin power connector, as opposed to a single 6 pin connector for the 9800GT. Does that mean a single 9800GTX+ takes up two SLI slots?
- I intend to play games with this system; is this motherboard a good choice with that in mind?

Thanks in advance.

most will plug directly into the psu for power, and the mobo for monitoring (this is optional)
it wont, but the mobo just monitors it, so there really is no point. the only important fans for the mobo is cpu fan. 
no, it means it needs 2 pci-e connector slots, a 9800gtx does take up two pci slots but it wont interfere with sli.
motherboard doesnt affect gameplay much, unless you plan to overclock. video cards are most important, then cpu and ram. your ram is fine and cpu is fine if u want better performance get a 4870x2 

hope this helps. everything should be fine with your computer. if you need any more help feel free to post 

3vi1
  •  3vi1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2008-10-17T21:35:59Z

I have an Asus9800GTX+.  It takes up two slots, but the PCI-E 16x slots are so far apart on my motherboard that it's not a concern.

It's a *long* card though... I really hadn't thought about that when I bought it.  It almost touches my hard drives, but still fit in my Antec 900 case fine - I just had to move some cabling to take a different route than with my previous card (a defective EVGA 9600GT 😞 ).

I wouldn't want to install a second in that 900 case though:  The position of the lower 16x slot on my MB (Asus Striker II Formula) would put the fan right above the fan on my power-supply, and it might not be a great spot for airflow.

timiny_cricket
2008-10-17T22:02:58Z

Ok, thanks both of you for the help. Now I understand fans better and how the video card connects to the motherboard.

ice_73
2008-10-17T22:12:05Z

np, if u need more help just ask. 

AlaskaDrew
2008-10-18T06:16:18Z

FYI , I have 3 Air cooled GTX 280s in my 900 and it works great. If you put a fan in the middle bottom fan mount and move the hard drive bay forword to fit the card in. I also put a fan in the case window next to the cards. The bottom card does get hotter than the others but it stays plenty cool even when I OC all 3 to the same(or higher) specs as EVGA's factory water cooled card.

timiny_cricket
2008-10-18T08:11:55Z

AlaskaDrew wrote:

FYI , I have 3 Air cooled GTX 280s in my 900 and it works great. If you put a fan in the middle bottom fan mount and move the hard drive bay forword to fit the card in. I also put a fan in the case window next to the cards. The bottom card does get hotter than the others but it stays plenty cool even when I OC all 3 to the same(or higher) specs as EVGA's factory water cooled card.

Wow, that sounds pretty amazing. I'm guessing your system performs incredibly well with today's games?

Just out of interest, does your system get a bit noisy with all those fans running?

AlaskaDrew
2008-10-18T10:01:37Z

Yes, my system including all fans has 12. I use closed headphones(PC350) so it doesn't bother me. Sorry I didn't answer your original post the first time but here is what I will add to what everyone else has said:

One thing that you may think about is going with an Antec 900 and getting a GTX 260 and a 22" Monitor. I know you may have a budget to stick to but When I think of the minimum I would want to game with I wouldn't go below that myself. Another thing you can do if your new to building is check out which parts some of the major game system companies are using for their rigs. for example go to cyberpower and check out what parts they use to build with. The advantage being that they make sure it all works together.  I personally use a dual core E8500@ 4.16 GHz but most of the games I play don't use more than 2 cores anyway so I just got the fastest dual chip(second fastest now) that I could buy. I do think though that more and more games are going to start coming out that use quad cores so if you will have this rig for a while a quad core may be a better choice. And about my system and playing games, I have a problem with not being able to play a game until I can turn it up all the way so I had to do it to play crysis. : ) Witch looks amazing by the way, I spent the first part of the game with my jaw on the floor crawling around alone in the woods looking at the freakin trees and stuff LOL.

Drew

tanka12345
2008-11-21T15:47:57Z

Hi,

Nothing seems to be out of place with your proposed setup. Theres just one thing I would like to add: I think you should consider getting a NZXT Tempest case, it's awesome. It comes included with 6 fans pre-installed so you don't need to buy any, and looks great too. Check it out at: http://www.nzxt.com/products/tempest/ .It's also alot cheaper and comes with a $20 rebate at newegg until 29 November!

Heres the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146047&Tpk=nzxt%20tempest

Thanks

Tanka12345