_Viper_X_
2002-04-03T18:40:15Z
just vote, and maybe say what you voted for, but DON'T start an argument over which one is better!:mad:
Sponsor
_Viper_X_
2002-04-03T23:19:24Z
oh, come on, only 5 ppl have opinions on the biggest rivalry in all of computer history
[mi6] GRiD
2002-04-04T03:06:55Z
I wasn't sure who to vote for....it was tough. In fact I haven't owned an AMD proc since a 486...
However, I voted for AMD because they are usually more overclockable. (except the new Intel chips I know) and they perform just as well with slower clock speeds. Which leads me to think they have a better instruction set. (or inner-workings for a non-technical term describing what I was thinking).

I am running an Intel right now though...
_Viper_X_
2002-04-04T16:37:23Z
oh come on guys.....the reason i posted this is to see more results on polls, people always post polls and only about 5 or 6 people vote, i figured this one would get more attention, and also see how many more people like one over the other
The_Punisher29
2002-04-04T17:22:44Z
You should put it in the lounge.
_Viper_X_
2002-04-04T17:31:19Z
yea, but the ppl would say i'm cross posting:rolleyes:

can a moderator do it for me???
_Viper_X_
2002-04-04T17:34:33Z
if not i'll re-post it, i don't care if they tell me i'm cross posting
ewitte
2002-07-10T13:55:14Z
Hehe. I voted for AMD even though the new computer I'm building is a P4. 1.6a @2.4+. You can't OC AMD near as much as the 1.6a Can we get a P4 with AMD FPU
RudyR1999
2002-07-10T16:05:56Z
I dont get it....you say that the P4 OC better and you are getting one, but you still voted for AMD :- . Now for my main reason for voting for Intel is.......AMD is all talk! Yes they are going to come out with something that is going to whip the P4b chips ass, but by the time it comes out Intel could have a P5 out by then.
gateways_rule
2002-07-10T16:15:39Z
Intel anyday.
The_Punisher29
2002-07-10T16:43:01Z
Quote:

Originally posted by RudyR1999
I dont get it....you say that the P4 OC better and you are getting one, but you still voted for AMD :- . Now for my main reason for voting for Intel is.......AMD is all talk! Yes they are going to come out with something that is going to whip the P4b chips ass, but by the time it comes out Intel could have a P5 out by then.

I agree with you on this one...
ewitte
2002-07-11T10:01:52Z
Quote:

Originally posted by RudyR1999

AMD's FPU is far superior. In fact without SSE2 support my 1.4Ghz gets over 20% higer than a highly overclocked 2.6Ghz Intel. According to Sandra SSE2 more than triples the P4s FPU. I think that is cheating. Problem is the current XP's are already highly overclocked and their not progressing very fast. If they had released the 0.13 micron a little faster and cooler they would still be the best solution. They are at a wall with the current chip while intel still has room to grow. If Intel was not as conservative as they are they could release a 4Ghz P4 tomorrow with little change to the chip. Although it may be as hot as the current XPs. Short answer. It takes a 400-600mhz faster p4 to compare to the XP. Overclocked P4s have had as much as 1400Mhz lead over the top XP. The XP can get a few 100 Mhz overclock but with rediculous cooling. I'm not buying a Peltier to beat a 3Ghz P4 If they are good with the timing of their Hammer CPU I'll probably get one, clock the P4 back down to 2.1Ghz and run it as my server. Its all timing and AMD is taking too much time IMO.

Eric
The_Punisher29
2002-07-11T18:01:21Z
Yup AMD chips are supperior but for their timing...
clee
  •  clee
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2002-07-11T21:12:02Z
Quote:

Originally posted by ewitte

AMD's FPU is far superior. ......................Eric

YES, it is.

o.k. don't wanna turn this into flamage as Debaser put the nail right on the head dead on & IMO both procs have merits depend on which side U're on.

But I just can't resist questioning 'bout what U said "AMD is better because of it's superior FPU"..............

Even a P-III has MORE power with it's FPU and beats the P4's.Compare to the P3's microarchitecture, Athlon is superior with better and newer design. CLOCK for CLOCK, P3 run circles with Athlon but the aging P6 microarchitecture sees it's end day, & it isn't comfortable runnin' @ high clock speed.

So here comes the P4's new Netburst microarchitecture,it's designed to last many years & will provide sunstantial(sp?) performance gains as clock speeds rise. And Intel's design philosophy IS:
clock-for-clock( IPC ) should be relatively low, but bus clock speed ought to be VERY high and here comes along deep 20 stage pipeline, dbl clocked ALU, execution trace cache..blah blah blah but most important of all - high mem. bandwidth.

IF's JUST A DIFFERENT DESIGN.

Any why ppl keeping debating 'bout FPU's importance As IPC x mHz = total performance & it's total performance that counts.

btw Intel already demo. a 4 GHz CPU in Nov. ( ? ) last yr, prior to Nothwood release. And I don't think even an XP on pelt. can challange P4 as 2.26B already runnin' in 3.0-3.2 range depending on cooling gears. U may press for the Hammer but don't discount Prescott on the .09 die - & both are vaporwares.

edit. My opinion ONLY.
ewitte
2002-07-11T22:24:58Z
Quote:

Originally posted by clee2000

btw Intel already demo. a 4 GHz CPU in Nov. ( ? ) last yr, prior to Nothwood release. And I don't think even an XP on pelt. can challange P4 as 2.26B already runnin' in 3.0-3.2 range depending on cooling gears. U may press for the Hammer but don't discount Prescott on the .09 die - & both are vaporwares.

edit. My opinion ONLY.

More reason they can release a 4Ghz version tomorrow if they wanted too I did not say an XP on a peltier would have a higer clock speed. Just that it would be faster. You probably only need to get one to 2.4Ghz to beat a P4 at 3.0 or 3.2Ghz in all but memory bandwidth. But your not going to see much over that even with a peltier. I'm sure we will get results with the p4 well in excess of 3.2Ghz within as little as a few weeks. I would not be surprised if someone with insane cooling actually does make it to 4ghz especially after the 2.8 is released.