nECrO1967
2008-08-08T19:13:45Z

Hack/crack or workaround?

When I was 9 years old we got our first cable box. it was an analog box with a dial. I had a habit of taking things apart that would get me into big trouble. LOL. I took it apart and found that there were dip switch type holes that you could poke a toothpick into and turn a channel on. We instantly had every channel. I didn't get into trouble until my dad had the box replaced before I could remove the toothpicks. The cable company billed him for a years worth of HBO and Showtime. I didn't sit for awhile.  :(

Sponsor
warlord
2008-08-08T20:16:15Z

Cb radio's when i learned to tune the crystals and get longer range.

nECrO1967
2008-08-08T23:32:47Z

Sweet. my Dad had 2 CBs. One in the car and one in the house. We had an antenna on the house that NASA could see from orbit.  :)

frg1
  •  frg1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2008-08-10T03:22:35Z

nECrO1967 wrote:

Sweet. my Dad had 2 CBs. One in the car and one in the house. We had an antenna on the house that NASA could see from orbit.  :)

lol mine was we first got dialup and got a virus spent hours researching how to get rid off it and loved tinkering with computers since then

frg1
  •  frg1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2008-08-10T03:22:40Z

nECrO1967 wrote:

lol mine was we first got dialup and got a virus spent hours researching how to get rid off it and loved tinkering with computers since then

FSeven
2008-08-13T11:01:17Z

Back in the 80's, my brother and I used to buy Commodore 64 games from Toys R Us, copy them, sell copies to friends at school for $5 a pop and return them and use the store credit to get a different game.

bob_on_the_cob
2008-08-13T22:50:22Z

I'm a baby(22 years old) and I didn't really have to many hackable things when I was little but the first one to stick out was in spanish class I stole the cd for the workbooks that we had and copied it and put it back on the teachers desk the next day. She was out for two days. I made a website and all of are tests and homework was on the cd.

I told two people about it and soon everyone in the school knew about it and everyone called it the magic mexican. That was the name of the website. When it got found because stupid people al of a sudden got all 100s my name got called out as the one that started it. I told them that I new about the website but I had found it on google. They asked me to find it on google and I couldn't.

The IT guy told me to go home and think about it and gave me brother a cd later that day. I went home and it was a googlebomb. I came back the next day and it was the first result for the workbook name. I got ISS for a week for cheating but I didn't get expelled like I should have.

Super Dave
2008-08-14T00:26:59Z

^LOL That is a funny story, Bob!^

bob_on_the_cob
2008-08-14T00:35:46Z

And  close call my parents never found out. If they had I wouldn't have been able to sit for weeks.

digitaldd
2008-08-14T08:33:32Z

Software: Electronic Arts disk protection: Realm of Impossibility on the Commodore 64.

Hardware: made a lot of odd things that weren't in the project book for my Radio Shack "300 in 1" Electronics kit. Also used to disassemble any old radio/remote controlled toys and modify them to do different things when i got older.

ice_73
2008-08-15T02:18:41Z

i took apart my dreamcast when i was really young, around 10 or so, and i put it back together... first true hack/crack would of been when i discovered tpb 😕 i did overclock my first computer when i was 11, i had to flash the bios to a hacked one to get overclocking

does that all count?

recoveringknowitall
2008-08-15T02:23:21Z

ice_73 wrote:

i did overclock my first computer when i was 11

When I was 11 I had grass stains on my knees, candy on my breath and a raging case of A.D.D.!!! lol

bob_on_the_cob
2008-08-15T02:24:46Z

I have that at 21!

warlord
2008-08-15T02:48:05Z

ice_73 wrote:

i took apart my dreamcast when i was really young, around 10 or so, and i put it back together... first true hack/crack would of been when i discovered tpb 😕 i did overclock my first computer when i was 11, i had to flash the bios to a hacked one to get overclocking

does that all count?

Yes it does

ScotDB
2008-08-20T18:03:35Z

Great stories... I haven't thought about this for years, but  I'd have to say my first hack was about 17yrs ago.  I had gotten a job at a bank starting off as an asst. loan analyst.  A loan analyst would take all your information and determine if you were a good or bad risk for a mortgage.  Anyway, we all had security levels and me being new, I  had the lowest.  I managed to manuever my way in to the system and raise my security level to its highest.  The only people with this level were the bank manager, asst. mngr and the two Underwriters.  I had access to everything and although they couldn't prove I had actually done it (the next day I changed it back) two days later I was fired.  I was stupid, ego driven and I bragged to someone about what I had done and she ratted me out.  They couldn't take the risk.