News
  •  News
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2008-03-21T22:45:45Z
Can't get market share the good old-fashioned way?  How about sneaking your browser onto systems, then?

With the release of Safari 3.1 on Tuesday, Apple started giving Windows users the option of downloading Safari via the Apple Software Update pop-up.

"Safari for Windows is the fastest and easiest-to-use web browser for the PC. It displays web pages faster than any other browser and is filled with innovative features -- all delivered in an efficient and elegant user interface," states Apple's message in the pop-up screen.

Tsk, tsk.  The browser that's really starting to take market share from Internet Explorer is Firefox, which, according to Net Applications, now has 17.3% vs. 74.9% for IE and 5.7% for Safari.

frg1
  •  frg1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2008-03-22T01:26:42Z

just noticed that today it does indeed try installing safari

Dev
  •  Dev
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2008-03-22T04:20:54Z

Bad move on Apple's part. Very dissappointed in them. They have a good reputation for not pushing these kind of agendas.

EDIT:At least the Mozilla CEO agrees with me.

Mozilla CEO wrote:

Apple has made it incredibly easy--the default,

even--for users to install ride along software that they didn't ask

for, and maybe didn't want. This is wrong, and borders on malware

distribution practices.

It's wrong because it undermines the trust that we're all

trying to build with users. Because it means that an update isn't just

an update, but is maybe something more. Because it ultimately

undermines the safety of users on the Web by eroding that relationship.

It's a bad practice and should stop.

-Dev

frg1
  •  frg1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2008-03-22T05:07:23Z

couldnt it be a security threat too i mean now that they can can patch or add stuff you dont have what would it take for somebody to hack it now

Dev
  •  Dev
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2008-03-22T06:09:31Z

I don't think this changes any security issues, it's just bad practice. You can still decline the download.

-Dev 

frg1
  •  frg1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2008-03-22T06:12:50Z

true just wonderedwhy they would do something like this

AjayD
2008-03-22T09:12:47Z
The reason they would want to do this should be obvious. Though it is a bit sneaky and an aggressive way to go about it, it is also a great way for them to convert people over to Safari. I am not surprised to see them do this at all. On the rare occasions that I use QuickTime, it always tries to have you update to a version that has iTunes. Apple loves to bundle unrelated things together in an attempt to expand their market share. This is only a natural progression of those tactics. Personally I don't care for IE that much and have been using Firefox for quite a few years. With all the extensions and add-ons IE and Safari have nothing on Firefox.
ice91785
2008-03-22T10:38:41Z

I read this and laughed because my g/f was updating her iTunes last night and she is one of those people that doesn't pay close attention when shes installing a program (it will ask if you want to install 10 toolbars) and she'll just click next, not caring.....

Anyway, she inadvertantly installed safari and got scared -- "What IS this??" she asked me like she had just downloaded a virus or something.

willardcw4
2008-03-22T11:42:41Z

ice91785 wrote:

"What IS this??" she asked me like she had just downloaded a virus or something.

... any MAC software IS a virus!!!!

PC 4 LIFE!!!

coolzonestefan
2008-03-22T12:18:18Z

i also found out that Quicktime,Itunes are the most vulnerable to malware multimedia programs 

frg1
  •  frg1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2008-03-22T13:55:50Z

thats good and i thought it would be winows media player or realtime 

Anonymous
2008-03-22T19:53:47Z
Didnt the Ceo of paypal warn people recently about using safari to log into their site ? saying it was severely unsecure ? I thought i read something like that.
frg1
  •  frg1
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2008-03-22T20:00:06Z

safari supposdly only good on apple 

trueg50
2008-03-22T22:42:25Z

Comrade Jobs should realize most Mac people will allow you install stuff and do lots of things quietly and behind the scenes, but folks on other OS's don't like it so much. Plus there is a massive difference between having updates checked by default, but an install of a program as well?

Very underhanded of Apple. I guess this is supposedly their response to MS installing silverlight (kind of like Flash) with Office 08 (regular install, not an update), but it is too far.

Funny people claimed that MS was the evil one, and that Apple was the pretty and good one...

I most certainly won' trust any of that Apple crap, way too much extra files and folders it throws randomly around. I made sure to disable all Apple services (other than Itunes).

coolzonestefan
2008-03-23T00:56:34Z

I really do not understand why did Apple need to make a Windows version of their Safari browser.It was really and uninspired idea and a lot of people hate this browser being on Windows