WhatltCouldMean
2002-03-16T11:40:02Z
hey whats the best computer , i dont care about price or anything , i just read some dudes post and he said AMD's will smoke if your hsf stops working and then they wont work anymore , is this true ? I know p4's are good but they arent that good cause my friend has a p4 2ghz and i can barey tell difference in it then my p3 850 mhz.. but ive heard great things about athlon and i really wana get one from alienware.com or falcon-nw.com , please help!!~(oh btw im not a computer rook or anything im a x-treme gamer)

p.s. Guys whats the most stable when overcloking , p4 or amd?? and what is the best motherboard for stabilityand overclocking??

thanks 🙂
Sponsor
Vegeta847
2002-03-16T11:52:31Z
If game is yor name AMD is the ONLY way!!!!!!!! I've never used Alienware but I've heard they are half way decent.......I would build my own thogh.....
pompoen
2002-03-16T11:52:53Z
if you stop cooling your Athlon (xp or not) it will smoke/burn/melt in just a few seconds (3-5sec). Totally destroing itself and disabling the socket, while stop cooling a P4 will just make it shut down.

im having troubles making the same choice, certainly while there isnt a big price gab between AThlon 1800+ and northwood 1.6 and 1.8

in wich aplications you didnt notice a big differnence between you 850 and his 2.0, because i find this a kind off odd.
pompoen
2002-03-16T11:54:36Z
hey vegeta seems like we posted at the same time

do you choose for Athlon based on your own experience?
WhatltCouldMean
2002-03-16T11:55:51Z
Vegeta where would I get all the parts?? Where I live there are no computer shops or anything except best buy and comp usa but they suck.. should i find some internet sites with 1-800 numbers?
WhatltCouldMean
2002-03-16T12:00:04Z
Yal where do I find the Northwood's , are they just 2.2 ghz p4's?? or you have to do some diggin to find them??
Vegeta847
2002-03-16T12:09:07Z
Guys I dont mean to start an AMD VS Pentium war but here's what I have experienced......... The Myth about AMD burning comes from people who do not understand much of the set up nesesary to run and cool them properly........ Most modern motherboards have sa[censored]uards that will prevent any damage to your processor.....for example.....I have an EPOX motherboard that I can set to shutdown if my processor heats over a predetermined temp....I have mine set at 70 degrees C....this is usefull if my heatsink fails.....in addition to a good heatsink you must use thermal compound (Artic Silver 2 My favorite)....and of course two fans on your care (intake and exhaust). It is really not fare to compare AMD and Pentium beacuse they both work differently.....This is the main difference....while P4 may be running a a higher frequency....a slower AMD will blow it out of the water (at least in gaming) because of the way they work....To get from point A to point B P4 for go thru let say for the sake of an example 4 steps while AMD will acomplish the same thing in 2 steps....it doesnt mean one is better than the other ....they just work differently and that difference id what gives AMD the edge in gaming....blowing P4 out of the water in bench marks...... I do my shopping at newegg.com....lowest prices I've seen.....check out the ABit boards.....Epox....is more economical and very overclockable and stable.......I have an Epox 8K7A+ on a raid O 40gig x 2 512DDR pc 2100 and a 1.4 T-Bird (AMD) running at 1500.
Vegeta847
2002-03-16T12:11:40Z
I forgot to mention if you really want the edge in gaming...regardles on what you choose to set up.....AMD VS P4...go with ATA133 and raid 0.....killing combination!
WhatltCouldMean
2002-03-16T12:21:00Z
THANKSU VEGETA~ I GUESS THAT GUY JUST HAD A BAD MOTHERBOARD FOR HIS AMD , THANKS MAN I APPRECIATE THE HELP CUS I WAS GETTING DISSAPOINTED TO HEAR AMD CAN BREAK DOWN SO EASY BUT IM DEFINITELY GETTING AMD CAUSE ALL I DO IS GAME GAME AN GAME USUALLY RTS GAMES LIKE AGE OF KINGS THE CONQUERORS AND SHOOTING GAMES LIKE MEDAL OF HONOR ALLID ASSAULT , THANKS SO MUCH

Vegeta847
2002-03-16T12:23:43Z
you're welcome:cool:
Acid_Burn
2002-03-16T15:48:50Z
For games? I'd have to recommend a high-end P4 if you got the cash. Otherwise I'd say go with AMD.

Get the Northwood 1.6a and overclock it via-bus. EVERY owner of the 1.6a is getting 800mhz+ overclocks. Friend on AIM has his 1.6a @ 2.6ghz. Another guy on another forum has his 1.6a @ 2.9ghz. All with air stock cooling 110% stable they say.

Oh and get some quality RDRAM with that, and you'll have one kick-ass system my friend

But if you want to go AMD, wait like 2 weeks for the Thoughbred XP2200+, and couple that with an Abit KR7A-133 board, and some Mushkin Enhanced performance RAM from Here .

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Vegeta847
2002-03-16T15:56:58Z
WOW RAM....isnt that a pretty picture????almost better than naked chicks!!!!
Acid_Burn
2002-03-16T16:55:02Z
LOL I never looked at it that way. All I know is that RAM would look mighty fine in my system
WhatltCouldMean
2002-03-16T21:34:49Z
Thanks ACID~ One question where do I purchase Northwood's?? 🙂 What I graphics card should I get ( money does not matter to me , ( computers are my life ) (I go to the library and read books everday about computer )
Geek Goddess
2002-03-16T22:02:54Z
No!!! Intel is evil...Get AMD. Its alot better..
Just remember what Vegeta847 said.
And you'll be ok.

*pokes AB* Tsk tsk. Intel is evil.