willardcw4
2008-03-18T17:57:25Z

I own an EVGA 8800 GTX 768mb Superclocked card... and it pwns face to say the least. However, it can get mighty hot despite my 5 120mm fans in my coolermaster case. Playing COD4 on maxed settings, i'm hitting between 75C and 80C. My computer is acting as the best heating unit I could ever ask for!... but summer is just around the corner....

I've been doing some research on useful gpu cooling solutions without going to a liquid cooled system, and this is what I think may be the best:

ZALMAN VF1000 2 Ball VGA Cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118037

I also saw the ZALMAN RHS88 VGA Cooler which cools the other chips on the card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118038

(note, links are just to show the product(s), not necessarily where I will purchase them)

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? Are these two products worth the money? Is there a better cooling solution without going liquid?

Thanks in advance.

MikeL_HH
2008-03-18T22:40:30Z
I haven't used either product personally so I can't give you any specific recommendations. However, have you tried messing with your existing cooling? Maybe you could try repositioning or reversing some of your case fans. It is possible that one or more case fans are interfering with the stock cooling on your 8800 GTX. What is your ambient case temp during gaming? Perhaps it is a bit too high. I recommend you check out your current situation before you drop money on a new cooler.

Your temps are pretty typical for a 8800 GTX using a reference cooler. Aftermarket coolers like the VF1000 should get you down to 60C-ish under load, based on what I've read.

willardcw4
2008-03-18T23:08:38Z

in my Coolermaster 830 SE case, i placed 2 120mm fans on the bottom 2 side panel slots blowing air into the case (as well as one on the top of the case pushing air out of the case), meaning i'm bringing ambient air TO the fan on the video card. I've also used riva tuner to crank up the fan speed to be running around 94% both idle and under load (from what i've seen, it has kept it much cooler). Are the 120mm fan placements incorrect? They make sense to me, bringing cooler ambient air into the case via side panel.

I'm fairly sure my other temps (cpu, HD, etc.) are within check of normal operating range, and again, my concern isnt that my 8800 gtx temps arn't too high, its just that having 75C air being pumped out of the back of my case is going to run me a high cooling bill when im gaming and temperatures warm up! 🙂 Although my card sitting around 55-58 C idle and 75-77C under load is considered normal, I figure if I can find an alternative cooling solution for 50-80 bucks, it may be worth it if the temps drop 10-15C.

From what i've read (reviews), an idle temp drop of about 5C is expected, and a drop of maybe 10-15C under load can occur with the VF1000 and the RHS88, confirming your stats Lovely. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any first hand experience with the product, or can suggest another air cooling solution around the same price range with similar effectiveness. Or maybe there are other methods to reduce GPU temps? Or maybe the VF1000 and RHS88 are the best non-liquid cooling solutions since sliced water blocks! I'm all ears!

Thanks.

MikeL_HH
2008-03-19T05:47:56Z
willardcw4 wrote:

I'm fairly sure my other temps (cpu, HD, etc.) are within check of normal operating range, and again, my concern isnt that my 8800 gtx temps arn't too high, its just that having 75C air being pumped out of the back of my case is going to run me a high cooling bill when im gaming and temperatures warm up! 🙂 Although my card sitting around 55-58 C idle and 75-77C under load is considered normal, I figure if I can find an alternative cooling solution for 50-80 bucks, it may be worth it if the temps drop 10-15C.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it doesn't quite work like that. It doesn't matter what kind of cooling solution you have, your video card will still be producing the same amount of heat. The key with cooling is how much heat can be brought away from the object being cooled. However, that has zero effect on the amount of heat produced. So it doesn't matter what cooling solution is on your 8800 GTX, it will still be producing the same amount of heat and that heat will still have to eventually make it's way out of your case. The only thing you can really hope to control is where most of the heat is exiting. Even if you could magically make 10C-15C of the heat on the surface of your 8800 GTX dissapear, that doesn't equate to a whole lot of heat. Your ambient room temperature probably wouldn't even flinch. Also, the heat coming out of your video card's exhaust vents is probably closer to 30C-35C. The temperature you see for the video card is measured right at the source, where it is concentrated in a relatively small area.

trueg50
2008-03-19T08:24:40Z

Before getting a new cooler I woulf first do two things

1. Remove the old cooler and reapply thermal paste (Shin-etsu or Arctic silver 5) to the core, making sure to leave the memory thermal pads in place.

2. Using Rivatuner and this guide, change your fan settings, also try setting your fan speed manually. I have heard from some that turning the fan up to 100% isn't too noisy and really drops temps.

willardcw4
2008-03-19T11:33:26Z

Thanks for the guide trueg.

Lovely - I understand that the heat generated can't change unless the actual use or function of the product does (yay for thermo).

Let me see if I understand this:

From what I understand, a cooling solution simply redistributes the heat somewhere else. I also thought that if one cooling solution has more surface area (within reason), then the heat radiating off of that solution would be cooler than the heat radiating off of another cooling solution with less surface area (seems logical to me). If this assumption is correct, then the cooler's role in heat dissipation will influence the temperature of the surrounding air.

If the surrounding air could be 'less' hot, then wouldn't that have a direct influence on both the ambient temperature in my case AND my room? (assuming there is exhaust).

Is my logic flawed? In my eyes, while the hardware is staying the same, the alternate cooling solution can minimize the warming of the air surrounding the product (or being exhausted either into or out of the system)... or i'm just an idiot. Now i'm unclear as to how the temperature reading changes with the existence of a cooler at all, meaning how would the temperature I read from speedfan change if I have 1) no cooling solution, 2) stock cooling solution, 3) vf1000 cooling solution. I would assume that the advertised 'drop in temps' from a cooling solution is being read by the same sensor as speedfan is reading, meaning that the small concentrated area at the 'source' would ultimately read a different temperature (not because of less thermal production, but because of dissipation and whatnot). So with the addition of a cooler and a 'lower temp' as read by speedfan (or other software), the influence would have to be a result of the cooler. And if so, then wouldn't the temperature of the air radiating off of the cooler be lower than if there was no cooler and the air was simply radiating off of the gpu?

Also, on Riva, I've had the profile set to around 94% for the fanspeed for a few months, and it has helped. 

Thanks (sorry if my schpeal got a bit confusing...).

willardcw4
2008-03-20T19:52:37Z

Anyway... i'm just looking for a good vga cooler for my 8800 GTX superclocked... I really like this VF1000 and RH88, but it IS a bit pricy... anyone else have some decent VGA cooling solutions? I'm not going to spend more than $80, but would like a 10C or more decrease under load.