Kamrooz
  •  Kamrooz
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2008-02-22T01:17:38Z

I thought it'd be fun to do something a little different. Why not a thread for the ugliest rigs? Got a computer rig that you're not proud of? Post it! 😃....Those with ugly rigs deserve some attention too! 😃. Here's mine! toss in yours if you wish ^_^.

UserPostedImage 

Ohh yes! the ugliness is just so beautiful! [:D]. Let's take a closer look at this beast (by beast I do mean hideous ^_^)

UserPostedImage 

The cutting forefront of technology ^_^. The reason I have a large oversized panel (part of another case), is due to the fact that the genius who designed this case didn't leave room for the SATA or IDE ribbon connector for the hard drives. If I placed the real case panel on there, there's a chance I could snap the SATA connectors on the drivers >_<. Time to take a look at the guts 😃.

UserPostedImage 

Holy Massive Wires Batman! That! Is my beauty! =D

UserPostedImage 

That is indeed a Tuniq tower 120 on a 3.2 prescott 😛. Atleast it keeps it cool..LOL

UserPostedImage 

The only worthy part of my rig ^_^ (besides the tuniq tower). Two 500 gig seagate 7200.10's (which replaced two dead 200gig maxtors), two 160 gig seagate 7200.7's in raid 0, and just for the hell of it a 80 gig maxtor IDE laying around, needed the space, so why not? 😃. *Note* Never buy maxtor, unless all the old maxtor drives are out of circulation (Seagate bought them out). They are very low quality drives that die very often. Out of all the brands I've used (Maxtor, Seagate, WD, IBM), Seagate drives have never died on me yet, and sport the longest warranty.

UserPostedImage 

Last but not least! a X700 pro whose fan loves making this annoying clicking sound. I thought it was dying, but it's still alive and keeps clicking away. I pretty much have to listen to music 24/7 or the ticking would drive me mad [H]

Think you have a uglier rig? Post it! Let's have some fun here ^_^.

recoveringknowitall
2008-02-22T01:22:37Z

Clever thread idea... it'll be intersesting to see what ppl post!

mazuki
2008-02-22T01:24:42Z
dang, now i wish i still had that old ibm with a blue button that let the 5.25" cover slide down all automatic-like.
Kamrooz
  •  Kamrooz
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2008-02-22T01:27:44Z

lol...I'm glad the thread is getting a positive response ^_^. I have some stripped looking old beige cases with a p3 933 system, and a dual AMD mp 1800+ system. But they are no where near as ghetto rigged as my main pc ^_^. 

recoveringknowitall
2008-02-22T01:31:59Z

Does the PC have to be functional to qualify? The reason I ask is because my current desktop is down and if I can't get it running soon I may be driven to mangle it lol!

Kamrooz
  •  Kamrooz
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2008-02-22T01:41:10Z

LOL! Yes it has to work, I should of laid some guidelines 😛. But to be fair 😛, Main rigs only! It adds to the humor factor...Actually, even spare is fine, but just mention it's a spare rig. But yea, It has to work! lol! Nice try! [:P] 

nelsoncp21
2008-02-22T07:05:03Z

Kamrooz, Have you thought about trying some of these cables? Maybe you could get your side panel back on then.

peti1212
2008-02-22T07:46:16Z

Wow, even my old PC that I have built when I was about 13 years old with a Pentium 4 in it did not look this bad. Now I am really into organizing my cables and all the parts in my computer system. I just hate looking at ugly cases especially if it would be my computer. It is preety fun to see others though. lol

werty316
2008-02-22T12:35:09Z

Thats quite the mess of cable you have there. 

Kamrooz
  •  Kamrooz
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2008-02-22T17:42:47Z

LOL...It is indeed a mess, I'm for neat cablse also. You should see the rigs I build for people.

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

There is only one really problem witht his, forgot to get a rounded IDE Floppy cable, so I scrunched it up as much as possible. I was planning to use an exacto knife to seperate each individual ribbon cable and tip them together with a zip tie, but ended up forgetting to do so before I gave the computer to the guy who I was building it for. Also, the wires all the way in the back corner against the hard drives might look messy, But they are actually zip ties to the corner of the case..So it's MUCH cleaner than it looks ^_^. 

But yea, my case is a mess, I have no passion in making it look nice considering how weak and old the hardware is...But yea,  Most of the parts in this rig are 6 years old, from a old p4 northwood rig, the hard drives, cables, dvd rom drives, etc. board and cpu died 3 years later, so I nabbed a PCI express board with a 3.2 prescott and a x700 pro. about a year ago I replaced the drives since 2 of them died...But parts of this rig are about 6 years going on (PSU being one of them along with others I mentioned). I also know about the L neck SATA cables, damn good stuff, but I see no need in wasting money on this horrid rig 😛.

recoveringknowitall
2008-02-22T17:47:35Z

Kamrooz wrote:

I was planning to use an exacto knife to seperate each individual ribbon cable and tip them together with a zip tie

I had an Audigy with the 5.25" bay panel and modded the cable for it as you mentioned... my friend liked it so much he had me do the same with all the cables in his system.

It's amazing that Creative hasn't gotten around to including round cables yet.

BTW: Since that last pic of the guts in that 900 look alot like mine, I'm posting a pic of mine again. Sorry to be a show off, but I couldn't resist! :P

This is the PC I mentioned possibly mangling if I can't fix it soon. [:|]

1 more thing: The Corsair PSUs really are nice aren't they.

Kamrooz
  •  Kamrooz
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2008-02-22T18:02:10Z

I love the cleaning job you did with that one, I was deciding whether or not to route everything through the back of the motherboard mounting as well, but decided not too 😛. Very nice job though man, I also see you'er using a Antec 900 ^_^. Honestly, for the money, the antec 900 is a steal, 4 adjustable fans with 3 speeds, one of them being a giant 200mm exhuast at the top. The rig I built in the prior post was for a family friend. I was gonna tab him a TUE 120, but newegg didn't have them in stock, and I didn't see the reason to spend 60 bucks for one from another site including tax and shipping as well, so I just nabbed a Tuniq Tower 120 from newegg with my large order, and replaced all the fans in the antec 900 as well as the tuniq tower with 24DBA Scythe Slipstream fans. Quiet rig, damn cool, and oc'ed that sexy q6600 to 3ghz with ease ^_^. 

recoveringknowitall
2008-02-22T18:36:59Z

So rooz... you seem to be in the know. Since my board is out for RMA I was strongly considering ditching my E6600 and getting a Q6600. I mostly game and surf on it and realize that no games truly leverage 4 cores yet let alone 2. I hear that there are games coming out this year that will benefit from more cores so my question is: Would getting a quad be worthwhile? Even if I just end up keeping it through this year and upgrading to Nehalem next?

Money is an issue, but not a huge 1 so I wouldn't mind paying $250 for an OEM quad that I'll only use for about a year.

Kamrooz
  •  Kamrooz
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2008-02-22T19:11:22Z

Do you plan to overclock? It also matters what else you will be using your pc for that can take advantage of the four cores. If you're only gaming, I don't really see the need, it would just be wasted money. In terms of your e6600, have you overclocked it? Honestly, if I was you, try overclocking it a bit to get more performance out of it, make it last till q1 2009. The performance difference between Nehalem and current processors is going to be MASSIVE. Better to just save your money together, and when Q1 hits, nab a Nehalem board and processor to really give yourself a edge that will last the long road. But if you plan to ditch the q6600 and mobo later for nehalem, and dump the q6600 in a spare rig for Folding@Home or other uses, it would be beneficial. It all depends on which route you want to go. Also if you need a second rig in the future...

What other applications do you use? If you can give me a list, I can help you ease your mind on your decision ^_^. 

recoveringknowitall
2008-02-22T20:30:34Z

I'm currently running my E6600 @ 3ghz(9 x 333, 4:5).

I read an article regarding the upcoming game Alan Wake that indicates up to a 30% performance boost when using 4 cores vs 2, hence my interest in getting a quad now. Granted it's only 1 game, but it's most likely gonna be a hit and I expect other games being released this year to follow suite and be optimized to fully utilize 2 - 4 cores.

Kamrooz wrote:

What other applications do you use?

Mostly games. Might start F@H.