News
  •  News
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2008-01-04T11:46:49Z
This morning we’re ringing in the new year with a special treat.   We’ve taken Dell’s brand new UltraSharp 3008WFP for a spin around the block and we think you’ll be interested in seeing how she handled.  Here's a snip from the piece...

"It's easy to see where Dell was going with the introduction of their new UltraSharp 3008 WFP 30" LCD display.  Calling upon the input received from previous 30" panel incarnations and marrying these feature requests in with new technologies like a wider color gamut and the bleeding-edge of display interface technologies.  As the first DisplayPort-enabled LCD from Dell, the 3008 WFP is claiming that sexy is back.  No Justin, not you -- she's getting a Dell?"

Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP 30-inch LCD With DisplayPort

bob_beckwith
2008-01-04T19:16:34Z

The author said:

"And though this niche obviously drives lower volume demand versus the mainstream, you have to remember that the enthusiast end-user is a very influential segment of the market, often times assisting in the definition of what will become mainstream technology tomorrow."

Although this may be true, I'll bet that the initial target market may be Wall St. types. These folks LOVE flat panels and to them (a) bigger is better, and (b) cost is no object. Plus, having your logo in some trader's face all day probably doesn't hurt much either.

So, well heeled enthusiasts enjoy, but don't forget to thank Wall St. for some of your blessings.

Just my 2 cents, 

--Bob

Dave_HH
2008-01-04T22:58:38Z
Hahaha! So true, so true! You certainly can get a few tickers going on one of these screens. Thanks for stopping by and for the comments, Bob!
Battle_Rattle
2008-01-05T04:07:15Z

I accidentally double posted...apologies

Pretty darn good review.

Please though... Test this monitor

against a CRT for input lag. There's the thought that the addition of

the 3008 scaler chip could add input lag to the monitor. Upwards of

60ms. It is crucial to know how this scaler chip acts. It could be "on"

even at native resolutions. Simply hook the 3008 and a CRT up to the

http://tft.vanity.dk/  ) and

take some photos at 1/2000 shutter speed. The difference between the

CRT and the 3008 is the input lag... any more questions just PM me.

Also....

Just how hard was it to calibrate by hand, and afterwards were their some colors that "just didnt look right?"

What are the qualities of the screen coating? This is the first

large monitor with True Bright type technology. So subjectively... is

it Glossy? Is it Matte? Is it in between? 

Good scoop! Top it off with an addendum though please... You'd be surprised at how many people have been waiting for this one.

Dave_HH
2008-01-05T10:05:45Z
Heya Battle,

Firstly, great input. Thanks very much for stopping by with these suggestions!

Frankly, I did look at input lag but only subjectively versus another 30" panel like the HP LP3065. I would say there is definitely a bit more input lag but nothing to me that was a show-stopper by any stretch, though your needs may differ.

Calibration was tricky but indeed once I had it dialed in, this panel looked better than anything I've ever seen and I've had the HP LP3065 side by side next to it, as well as the 3007 WFP-HC.

The screen coating, in my opinion, was really nice. I'd say it's more of a matte finish, though some have taken issue with glare on the panel. We specifically have a lab with a large window nearby the test bench and I didn't really see an issue at all with glare.

In short, we've looked at a lot of 30" panels here and this thing is gorgeous in our opinion.

Unfortunately, though I begged and pleaded to keep it longer, we've sent it back to Dell so I can't look at some of these area again - just yet; at least not until we purchase another one here for use internally. 😉

Graphik
2008-01-05T12:03:38Z

A fine, detailed and well-balanced review, thank you!

Here's my question: I'm a graphics pro with lately failing eyesight 😞 (take care of your eyes, kids, and I really mean that) and so I'm now interested in getting the best and biggest monitor available to drive lower resolutions (well below native here: 1920×1200 or less, to be exact).

Even pro-colour grade monitors (like the LaCie 21 in front of me now) render low/er resolutions totally unacceptably for any kind of casual reading, let alone graphics work, so this has now become somewhat mission-critical for me.

It's mentioned that the 3008 sports a hardware resolution scaler chip onboard (hooray! otherwise I have to go back to CRTs) and that a little sharpness tweaking brings things back to acceptable crispness, but I would love to see some pictures of the scaler at work before and after tweaking.

Any chance of some further info on this?

netsez
2008-01-05T16:56:13Z

That 3000:1 ratio is a DYNAMIC contrast ratio, the standard contrast ratio is 1000:1

The real question is how does the display stack up to the Gateway 30" LCD.

Dave_HH
2008-01-06T22:37:20Z
Actually, desktop scaling looked really good at half divider steps from native res. For example, 1280X800 looked very tight and clean. It wasn't as good as native res but better than most panels I've seen off native res.
Dave_HH
2008-01-06T22:38:23Z
We'll have to try and get a look at that panel. What's the model number?
ecruben
2008-01-07T18:32:25Z

Using the new (or older) ATI card, can you SIMULTANEOUSLY drive the WFP3008 off of displayport and, say a big 52in LCD TV off of the HDMI port? If not simultaneously, is there some control panel which tells the card which port (DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort etc) to direct the output to? I want to be able to watch bluray off of a new XPS420 either on the Dell display or my TV and am wondering if the card can do that. Also, any idea if Dell will offer this card or whether the HDMI is 1.3 compliant (if not, can you do a Displayport to HDMI conversion to ensure 1.3-type audio)? Thanks!

ecruben
2008-01-07T18:33:07Z

whoops..I meant 3008WFP!

glock
2008-01-19T12:07:21Z

I bought this monitor to do Photoshop color work on and the one I got is totally unacceptable for use in that regard.
I calibrated using i1 Photo through every possible configuration  (dvi-1 & 2 , vga, native, A98, Manual, factory default , etc., on a mac using OS X, with essentially the same result. If you set a NEUTRAL gray background (desktop) it is not consistent in color or density to the eye. Mine was reddish on the right, green/cyan on top yellowish across the bottom , and blotchy brightness-wise across the whole panel.

IT IS NOT THE VIEWING ANGLE-as the colors and effects did not change as you moved your head only the intensity of the defect.

The monitor profiles just fine (but I had to reduce brightness from 75 🏭 to 3 to achieve 120 ft/candels) and the gammut does closely match the A98 color space as they say- even exceeding it in the red/magenta axis, just shy in the green but if you are planning on WYSIWYG color calibrated & profiled workflow this is panel (just mine?) is not gonna cut it.

FWIW, I POSTED ESSENTIALLY THIS SAME INFO ON THE DELL WEBPAGE FOR THIS MONITOR AND THEY HAVE NEGLECTED TO POST IT ALONG WITH THE MORE FAVORABLE LESS CRITICAL REVIEWS.

I even said that for for less critical applications this would probably be an awesome monitor.
I have 2 older Dell displays (2405's)   that are not nearly as advanced as this one and one Apple 23" Cinema Display that I use daily for color work for years now, and they do not display the same anomalies as the 3008 WFP .

ALSO their "TECH SUPPORT" is a JOKE. They read to you from the user manual that you get with the purchase.
THERE IS NO MONITOR EXPERT TO HELP SOLVE ANY PROBLEMS OTHER THAN BASIC SET UP FUNCTION and CONNECTIVITY - THAT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET TO.

I may give them one more shot with an exchange  but The EIZO for 25% more may be a smarter if not more painful solution. Or wait for the new Apples....

BUYER BEWARE.
But that's just my experience, your mileage may vary......

ecruben
2008-01-19T14:39:32Z

Are you using the Displayport? If not, why is Dell selling a Displayport monitor with no displayport card? Thanks!

Kamrooz
2008-02-22T19:41:31Z

Do keep in mind guys that for these wide gamut displays, DVI can't offer enough bandwidth to fully utilize them. That's what display port is for, and display port will be the next adopted connection system which will be coming out on upcoming cards this year. In terms of wide gammut, it's actually not the best thing for photoshop users. Some photo users like it and some hate it. But images overall tend to look extremely over saturated. It's not for no reason that the Nec 2490WUXI is picked up with massive recommendations over the 2690wuxi which has a wider gamut display. Personally, I believe wide gammut displays are better suited for gaming. Offering extremely rich colors. It's still great for photo/color work as well, but some people just end up not liking it.

In terms of the issues you had Glock...Welcome to the lovely world of LCD technology. It's so flawed it's really disappointing. Which is why I'm going to nab a FW900 and skip the idea of even going for a LCD. Input lag, respose times, inaccurate color accuracy, ghosting, viewing angles, backlight bleed, dead pixels, etc...WHY OH WHY did CRT's go away?..lol. They may be big and bulky, but the visual quality is MUCH higer. FED and OLED are going to be fantastic though, definitely count me in for that technology when it becomes widely available and affordable (around 2 years down the road), until then, CRT's for me ^_^.

recoveringknowitall
2008-02-22T20:46:34Z

The only complaint I have about my LCD(Samsung 226BW S panel)is the paultry 60hz refresh rate, which while par for the course suffers from tearing in games as I don't like using v-sync.

I feel that I have a very discerning eye and IMHO image quality is excellent for games and movies... taking into accont the points you mentioned: color accuracy, ghosting, bl bleed, etc. I understand and can appreciate the merits of crt monitors, but aren't interested in dealing with the bulk despite knowing full well that a model like the sony you mentioned will outclass an LCD across the board.