ajcstr
  •  ajcstr
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-06-19T10:05:01Z
I have a Seagate 120 GB HD that I have in a USB enclosure that I use for backups. The other night I was cleaning some old stuff off it (sent to recycle bin and then emptied the recycle bin). I checked the space on the drive and all looked ok.

The next morning I realized I had left the drive on all night, so I powered it off. When I powered the drive up again, nothing - it looks like an unformatted drive to the system. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting, reboot etc. Swapped drives to be sure the enclosure was not the issue.

Did I truly loose all that was on the drive or is there something I can try to access it? In the past I have had some luck actually installing the drive as a slave so I was going to try that. Any other suggestions?

The drive shows up as healthy, just looks like it would if it was not formatted in disk manager.

Also, was turning the drive off without using the "safely remove hardware" the problem? The drive was definitely idle at the time.
Sponsor
ajcstr
  •  ajcstr
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-06-19T23:48:26Z
For those interested, I just connected the drive as a slave in a desktop PC and when the machine booted up it repaired whatever was screwed up on the drive. I have had this happen before - gets screwed up in the enclosure but making it a slave repairs it.
ajcstr
  •  ajcstr
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-06-19T23:48:42Z
For those interested, I just connected the drive as a slave in a desktop PC and when the machine booted up it repaired whatever was screwed up on the drive. I have had this happen before - gets screwed up in the enclosure but making it a slave repairs it.
Der Meister
2007-06-20T05:11:24Z
humm interesting.
ajcstr
  •  ajcstr
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-06-20T10:25:48Z
One of the Desktop support guys in work tipped me off on that trick and it has bailed me out a couple times. Put the drive in as a slave in another system and as soon as XP boots uo it runs a scandisk on the slave and fixes the problems.

I don't know if its a problem with the enclosure of just the USB in general, but this has happened to me before.