Mr|C
  •  Mr|C
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-05-15T13:09:21Z
My computer does recognize the HD as a HD, and the device manager says everything is ok with it. The problem I have is I have no access to it. I can't see it in my computer, or anywhere else. I've tried this on three computers.

This hard drive is brand new.

I tried installing Ubuntu Linux on it, but failed, but during the installation operation, I erased the whole disk and replaced it with Linux. Can that be the problem? Have I ruined the hard drive, or is there a way to fix it?

Please, please help
Here are some screenies that may help.

Note that it doesn't appear in the devices, yet it appears in the second screenshot, disk management.

Sponsor
Elsparrow
2007-05-15T13:56:40Z
Have you tried formatting it in FAT32 or NTFS? You won't be able to use it on a windows PC without FAT, FAT32 or an NTFS partition. NTFS would be your best choice, FAT32 though if you want to use it with linux and windows.
Mr|C
  •  Mr|C
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-05-15T14:10:15Z
quote:

Originally posted by: Elsparrow
Have you tried formatting it in FAT32 or NTFS? You won't be able to use it on a windows PC without FAT, FAT32 or an NTFS partition. NTFS would be your best choice, FAT32 though if you want to use it with linux and windows.

I do not plan to use it at all with Linux anymore. That was my original plan though.

I have tried formatting it. That's the thing I forgot to mention. In the computer management it doesn't allow me to select 'Format..' when right clicking
xtremeskier97
2007-05-15T14:47:30Z
Does it give you the option to delete partition?

If all else fails..take the drive out and hook it up internally in your computer and format it that way. Then put it back in the enclosure. BE WARNED..this may void the warranty on the drive if it was bought as an external drive and not bought in separate pieces and put together.
Mr|C
  •  Mr|C
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-05-15T15:15:00Z
quote:

Originally posted by: xtremeskier97
Does it give you the option to delete partition?

If all else fails..take the drive out and hook it up internally in your computer and format it that way. Then put it back in the enclosure. BE WARNED..this may void the warranty on the drive if it was bought as an external drive and not bought in separate pieces and put together.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm really not a hands on guy, and would rather stay well clear of taking apart my computer. Also, being 15, and it not being my computer, my parents would be angry.

I can delete partitions, however, I'm not sure which ones should be deleted.
xtremeskier97
2007-05-15T15:58:12Z
I know what the problem is...it doesnt have a drive letter. What I would do is delete the 230GB and the 2.89GB partitions. After you delete those partitions...it will have a black bar and say unallocated. Right click on it and then create partition. A window will come up and you will just walk through the steps. This will partition and format the drive as well as giving it a drive letter so that you can access it.

If you have questions during the process..just post here...I will be refreshing the page every so often to see if you have replied.
Mr|C
  •  Mr|C
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-05-15T16:18:38Z
Ok, I gave your idea a go. I now see it in my computer, but I am not allowed access to it. I get the following message error:

F:\\ is not accessible.
The parameter is incorrect.

Did I go wrong?
xtremeskier97
2007-05-15T18:55:07Z
Can you post a new screenshot like the one you have above with Disk Management highlighted?

And did you check the box where it gave you the option to format? There is a checkbox in the last step where you tell it to format or not. Sounds like it isnt formatted.

If this is the case, you should be able to right click on it and tell it to format the partition.
Mr|C
  •  Mr|C
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-05-16T03:07:29Z
quote:

Originally posted by: xtremeskier97
Can you post a new screenshot like the one you have above with Disk Management highlighted?

And did you check the box where it gave you the option to format? There is a checkbox in the last step where you tell it to format or not. Sounds like it isnt formatted.

If this is the case, you should be able to right click on it and tell it to format the partition.

Thanks a lot Everything worked great. Thanks again.

Now, tonight, I'm going to try and reinstall Ubuntu. I'll delete everything from the disk, and start a clean install. Any suggestions before I do so ?