Endersothergame
2007-04-14T21:26:48Z
So yeah it was a Saturday afternoon and Kid and I were bored so this is the product of that discussion:

X2 4400+ Stock: 11x200=2200MHz
*edit* RAM always set 1:1
My OC 11x255=2809MHz. Runs a bit warm but its there. Can't seem to go higher due to stability and temperatures are too high (keeps thermal clipping)

Here's a picture of the final results....

Top OC on the left, stock on the right.

So ppl lemme see what you can do with your X2's on water or air I wanna see how this stacks up in the pantheon of X2's.

I can get to 2.64 with only the FSB not set to auto, just an addition for interest.
Sponsor
kid007
2007-04-14T21:30:45Z
Dont forget to add bro, that almost everything was in auto,
Multi was set @ 11X
Volts for mem was set @ 2.8v
CPU 1.4volt = 2.8
mem timming left stock
XaviarCraig
2007-04-18T10:07:11Z
Jesus, thats pretty impressive... Did you manage that with air or liquid cooling?

I useally have to use liquid cooling for anything over 15% OC (few exceptions but not many)
kid007
2007-04-18T10:50:19Z
Air, he got some a Zalma, Zalma5500 (I think that the one)
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2007-04-18T20:20:40Z
Well for starters make sure you have cool and quiet disabled as well as thermal throteling disabled, otherwise your overclock will not be stable. It is best to disable those before you start ocing. Also try droping the LDT multi down to 3, if you left it auto then it would stick to 5x which would push the HyperTransport bus way to high and that can cause instability.
Endersothergame
2007-04-19T21:00:36Z
@Drago:
ok how do I disable thermal throttling. I have an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe. I will try lowering LDT to 3 I have noted it will post at 2.9 but its totally unstable... as in I get into windows and try to take a scrn shot just to watch it reboot in front of me. What exactly does the LDT do? I mean its supposed to be 1000 or so as I see it stock, but it changes depending. I wanna go higher as I know the CPU can do it and I know the ram is good for 300mhz. Load temps at that speed can climb into the 60's tho so I am thinking it is getting to warm.

@XaviarCraig:
I am using Zalman CNPS 7700-Cu, and yeah a 27% OC isn't too bad, nor is a 31%(very UNSTABLE OC)
giantjoebot
2007-04-20T05:19:39Z
The LDT is the multiplier for your HT. you have to keep your HT under 1000. By default it should be at 5, 5 x 200 HTT (fsp) = 1000. I have my 3800 OCed to 2.5ghz. Its actually 2.49 something. I wanted to try and keep my HT as close to 1000 as I possibly could, so I set my LTD to 4 and HTT to 249. I noticed with mine if I took my HTT to 250, it became unstable, and I believe that it was because of the HT. It might have gone slightly over 1000. So if you raise your HTT over 200, drop the LTD to 4, if you go over 250 (or 249 in my case) then you have to drop the LTD to 3. You will get a bigger performance gain from a faster CPU, but I think their is a bit of performance loss when lowering your HT.

What are your temps like. Mine are in the mid 20's idle, mid 30's load (C). It varies a bit with room temps.
Elsparrow
2007-04-20T06:50:54Z
Joe, there's no performance loss with a slightly slower HT.
Endersothergame
2007-04-20T07:24:16Z
Temps only changed for me when I had to up the voltage so anything 2.65 or less and it was low 20's for idle, and about low 40's for load. Mind you add a lil voltage and that changes fast. At 2.8 it idled in the high 30's and under load it climbed into the 60's pretty fast.
giantjoebot
2007-04-20T10:51:44Z
Whats the specs on your RAM?

If you are running DDR400 then try increasing your HTT to 249 with default CPU voltage, put th LDT to 4, use a 166 ram divider, and increase the voltage on your RAM to 2.7, and make sure its set to 1T, and not 2T
ice91785
2007-04-20T11:22:54Z
quote:

Originally posted by: Elsparrow
Joe, there's no performance loss with a slightly slower HT.

Agreed, because the HT transfer rate is much higher than that of the actual RAM. Unless your RAM can transfer information at around, what is it -- like ~8500 MB/s. However keep in mind dipping below a certain HT will also cause instability...but that takes more effort. Forgive me as I haven't OCed in a while so i dont member the exact #'s

@Enders
Don't forget to slightly bump up your chipset voltages ~.1-.3V to increase stability with your OC -- and again you can let heat output be your guide (under a load)
kid007
2007-04-20T11:39:44Z
is kind of funny because all we did was raised the voltage of the cpu to 1.4v and the set the volt for the rams to 2.8v
and almost got it to 2.9Ghz now imagine if we did all of these Ender 3.0-3.1ghz I' got the Jack ready wanna try it tonight see if could brake it
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2007-04-20T12:49:57Z
@Enter, thermal throtleing is in the bios somewhere, might be called different, but you need cool and quiet as well as thermal throtleing disabled. This will produce max speed and heat when overclocking, plus it helps with stability.

all this talk of overclocking makes me want to get my chip to 2.9ghz. I have had it working in windows at that speed, but it just wasnt stable. But yeah ender should be able to get higher by lowering the LDT multi, and uping the chipset and ram voltage.

My one question ihave though is did someone spend the time checking the max their ram could do at certain timings? It is a tedious process, but if you do it, you dont gotta worry about the memory causing your instability. Just drop the cpu multi down and then test that ram and up and up it till you cant pass superpi 1mb, drop it till it passes superpi 4mb and you should be good.
ice91785
2007-04-20T15:01:23Z
Drago, what is your position on timings? By this I mean obviously lower CAS will get you the most performance increase -- but when tightening up timings what would you say should be next on the list to try and tighten? Or would one just kinda tighten each a little bit at a time as opposed to concentration on one area?

I spent time finding my max ram speeds but not as much as i should have. ...As Drago said, its nice to be able to know what ur ram can actually do. Otherwise, when u get a rolling boot you really have no idea what to adjust -- too many variables after all.

If you do not want to take the time (you lazy buns!) Its pretty easy to get an idea of what your RAM can do by just knowing good RAM can usually overclock by about 15-20mhz in general (without a whole lot of tinkering). So for example DDR400 runs at 200mhz stock; with a good overclock you should be able to get about 220mhz with minimal voltage increase. If you want MORE speed, just loosen your timings a bit and adjust ur voltages accordingly.
kid007
2007-04-20T15:16:23Z
I think spending time finding time setting (for me is a waste of time) no disrespect to my buddy drago but I like to see how the stock timming perform. When i help ender do his OC, was in stock timming. He could it achieved 2.9 stable with he would have lower the LDT but i wanted to see the perfomance of a stock system once again that why i told him lock the voltage to 1.4v for cpu and 2.8v for the mem that was it. now for me to achieve 2.8Ghz stable doing those thing is amazing.