XaviarCraig
2007-02-12T11:43:33Z
I was chilling with my friends the otherday and they happened to see my computer and were like WTF?! Then they persued to tell me I take the saying "work around" Alittle too far!

For one I have a bag of capacitors and a soltering iron ontop my case with wires from the motherboard coming out which have the caps I routinely replace (faulty voltage regs blow them out every so often)

Secondly I have to restore the registry of windows everytime I boot because it gets corrupted(somehow which I havent gotten squared away yet)

Third, I have to reinstall my soundcard drivers and like 9 programs after windows boots because they wont run after I close them after I first run them!

So does anyone else have any problems they just work around rather than fixing it? And do I take the term alittle too far?

Peace!
Sponsor
xtremeskier97
2007-02-12T11:54:06Z
"a LITTLE too far"?!?!! Dude....sounds like you need to can that motherboard and get a new one, along with a clean load of Windows.

All of your problems are probably related to one another though.
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2007-02-12T12:17:00Z
Yes that is a bit exsessive. Really you have about 3 things that could be wrong with your computer. If things are getting blown then that can point to a PSU putting to much juice in the motherboard, or the motherboard is faulty which is more than likely the cause. The windows being corrupt could either be a ram issue, hard drive issue, or the hard disk controler on the motherboard. You really need to do some serious testing in a non faulty machine with the ram and hard drive as those are the easiest to rule out.
xtremeskier97
2007-02-12T12:53:23Z
quote:

Originally posted by: Drago
Yes that is a bit exsessive. Really you have about 3 things that could be wrong with your computer. If things are getting blown then that can point to a PSU putting to much juice in the motherboard, or the motherboard is faulty which is more than likely the cause. The windows being corrupt could either be a ram issue, hard drive issue, or the hard disk controler on the motherboard. You really need to do some serious testing in a non faulty machine with the ram and hard drive as those are the easiest to rule out.

....or he could be loosing data when the caps pop and shut's down his system.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2007-02-12T13:46:52Z
When do the caps blow? On start-up or at any time when you're using them?

If you have so many problems after a reboot why not just leave the PC on til you get it fixed? It's a waste of electricity but if it's only short term...
XaviarCraig
2007-02-12T15:09:00Z
The caps blow every 5-18 days now, they used to last longer intervals but the life on them seems to be going down hill. As for replacing the motherboard, I have been saving up to just build a new computer from ground up. I am not really sure as I might end up only using my current rig for another year or so I would wonder if its worth the extra cash.

As for my windows installation; Kinda iffy about reinstalling it since I dont have the installation disks for alot of games/programs so I dont think that would be the best idea.

And no on else has any fancy workarounds or problems they just deal with rather than fixing?
xtremeskier97
2007-02-12T15:35:19Z
Nope...I just fix the problem.

You could atleast try an XP repair...that might help...as long as you find out what is causing the problem and fix that first...or you are going to have the same problem again.
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2007-02-12T19:03:38Z
Well you could find someone who is an electronics whiz that could take and go over your motherboard and find out the real issue is. Seriously though if caps are blowing something isnt right, either the caps are bad or something on the motherboard isnt getting the electricity to them properly. If you have a spare psu around try running with it for a while and see if the caps keep blowing.
nelsoncp21
2007-02-12T20:13:43Z
yeah xaviar I am a work around culprit too. maybe not as excessive as you but more for the reason of time and also because I usually screw something up when fixing something creating a new problem. My work arounds consist of my pc not shutting down all the way without hitting the power button on the front of my case and also my bios flash. I can not for the life of me flash the stupid bios on this MB and I've tried all 3 ways of doing it. I have made attempts at fixing this stuff though but don't have the time to keep on it till it's resolved. but don't feel bad your not the only one. your problems do sound a tad more serious though.
kid007
2007-02-12T23:38:17Z
to much work for me, i would just got a new pc.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2007-02-13T14:16:50Z
I believe my Mobo has a problem. I have to clear the CMOS every time I restart and it won't save any BIOS settings (obviously) so no OCing or tweaking for me. It's not the biggest fault in the world but it's enough to make me leave my PC on 24/7. It gets a restart every 1-3 weeks depending on usage.

I sent the Mobo back to Abit and they said there was nothing wrong with it but updated BIOS etc anyway. Typical of tech support though, they always try to blame it on other components to avoid taking an RMA. When I got it back it half-worked; it would save the CMOS settings and I wouldn't have to clear the CMOS but it would always prompt me to press F11 to continue from a CMOS error. I was much happier with this. Then I tired out an X800XL for a mate and was fraught with problems trying to boot with it installed. Booted fine eventually but now I'm back to square one having to clear the BIOS all the time.

Moral of the story: if you get your PC fixed after it's been playing up, leave it that way! I resent that friend ever coming round with his graphics card!

I can live with this but if I need to sell on the PC I have to replace the Mobo, the worst bit is, despite all the signs, I can't be 100% sure it is the Mobo...
xtremeskier97
2007-02-13T14:24:33Z
Jordan....have you ever taken the board out of the case and just mocked up the system in the open on a desk or something using the bare minimums to run the pc?

Something may be shorting it in the case causing your problem...you never know.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2007-02-13T15:17:31Z
quote:

Originally posted by: xtremeskier97
Jordan....have you ever taken the board out of the case and just mocked up the system in the open on a desk or something using the bare minimums to run the pc?

Something may be shorting it in the case causing your problem...you never know.

Ran it with the minimum of components, of course. Nothing changed.

I'm pretty sure it's not shorting though, the symptoms would be more sporadic and almost certainly result in a restart. I asked them (Abit) to send a new CMOS chip but they took it for an RMA instead, now I just wish they'd sent the CMOS chip!

I did bend the pins on my CPU one time when I was reviewing a heatsink and dropped the CPU, it's the only reason I'm in doubt that it's definitely the Mobo. No broken pins and they were all straight when I removed the CPU the next time. The PC works 100% fine when running though, it's just this CMOS bug.

I've never had a S939 system available to test my CPU in, obviously any AMD system I buy and build now is AM2.
XaviarCraig
2007-02-16T09:44:19Z
Strange yet good news... I got a used replacement motherboard for 10$ on Ebay got it in the mail this morning, slapped it in and it works like a charm! Still have the windows problems but I am gonna try reinstalling windows and just putting portitions of the old registry in so I dont have to reinstall all the programs. Should work as I have done this before but only time will tell...

I will letcha all know how it turns out! So far the new mobo is working great.
xtremeskier97
2007-02-16T11:08:34Z
quote:

Originally posted by: XaviarCraig
....just putting portitions of the old registry in so I dont have to reinstall all the programs..

and yet ANOTHER "work-around" LoL