chill2007
2007-01-12T01:43:10Z
Ok, hey guys.

I am having troble installing the drivers for my video card. Every time I install the ATI drivers and restart the system for changes to take effect, system crahes and restarts before I get to the Windows Welcome screen. I must then rollback drivers or delete ATI drivers in safemode to gain access to Windows.

I have an ATI Radeon X1900xt 512mb PCI-E video card. This is a fresh install of windows xp 86x I am working with now but had the same problem before the fresh install. I have tried using the latest drivers, the one b4 that and the ones that came with my disc.

I have a Mach Speed Mohter board model MK8-939A VIA chipset. I installed the latest version of the drivers as well as BIOS.

I can't think of anything else I tried at the moment, any ideas, comments anything at all is appriciated.

Thanks

The following of .net framework installed, including all updates for MS Windows.
- 1.1 hotfix(kb886903

Tried many installs, using uninstall tool, and driver cleaner b4 each install and restart.

I tried Hadware acceleration on NONE and Enable write combining disabled.
Sponsor
giantjoebot
2007-01-12T03:05:36Z
Do you have the latest motherboard drivers?

Have you tried the ATI drivers that is just the driver and nothing else. There should be 2 versions that you can download. One is just the drivers, and the other has a bunch of other stuff.

I noticed that motherboard has both AGP and PCI-E. That might be your problem. Go into your BIOS and make sure that the Video is set to th PCI-E slot, or if you can disable the AGP slot. I suppose there might also be a jumper or something for switching between the 2, look in your manual to see if there is.
kid007
2007-01-12T05:23:32Z
chill2007 i understand your pain, last night i battle for like about 2 hrs with the 7.1 drivers and those things DID NOT WORK!!!, got to the point that frustration was beyond. but like everything new it comes with problem advice: stay with the one you got or google the 6.11-6.12 there is not that much of difference just little crossfire update between them. personally after my frustration was gone i read few reviews on the 6.11 and so far it happen to be the best.
chill2007
2007-01-12T14:13:36Z
I have tried everything you guys listed above. Looked at jumpers, theirs nothing to do with video settings. I looked in BIOS nothing to disable the AGP(MGP) slot. Tried just the drivers and the catalyst software seperate. Anyone have any more ideas? Thanks.
chill2007
2007-01-14T14:24:27Z
anyone out there have a clue whats up with my computer?
kid007
2007-01-14T14:54:40Z
This is something that might help a lot, and that is to re-install windows, and the first driver that you install make sure that is the video card. i'm 90% sure that you got a software that is conflicting with your hardware.
chill2007
2007-01-14T22:27:51Z
Ok, I will try that, and if that fails then I will try a new motherboard with the card. But first I will try the card in someone elses machine. I wanted to try that for awhile but I can't find a friend who has PCI-e. Thanks again