giantjoebot
2007-01-04T05:40:26Z
I'm working on moving everything around in my house now that my X is gone so that I can get a roommate. This means that my computers will be in the same room that I sleep in. So I'm working on makeing my computer quiet. Plus I'm getting to where I'm getting into that sort of thing

Right now Compusa has the Antec Nine Hundred for $80 after a $60 rebate, so I was planning on picking one up after I get paid on Friday if they still have any in stock in my area. Hopefully this thread won't hurt my chances. But before I do that I wanted to run this by you guys. I need to decide whether to get that or a Antec Performance One P180B for my main rig. I have already decided that I'm going to get a Antec Performance One P180B for my media server/ backup PC/ second gaming rig since it will be on 24-7. While I would like to make my main rig quieter, its not really as important since I can always shut it off before I go to bed. I don't really like having a door on the front of my case, and I like the look of the Antec Nine Hundred a little better (kinda remind me of a futuristic tank or something), except I could do without the case window. On the other hand the Antec Performance One P180B would probably be quiter. I have my CPU OCed from 2GHZ to 2.5GHZ. I plan on replacing all the fans in both cases with silent yate loon fans. There is one more thing. I just got this desk

I plan on putting each computer under each end of it. Do I really want to have two of the same cases, or do you guys think that might look cool?
Sponsor
Sam
  •  Sam
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2007-01-04T13:26:35Z
i think getting two of the same cases would look kinda cool.... but the thing is that i don't like how the antec p180b's door either. if you ask me, i'd get two antec nine hundred's instead. a little less quiet, although you can always add some sound dampening kits.
giantjoebot
2007-01-04T16:10:35Z
I didn't really expect that answer, huh I'll think about it.

I just had a thought. The the antec p180b's is on sale at newegg for $99 after a $25 rebate. If bought both of the same casees then I probably couldn't get the rebate on the second one.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2007-01-05T13:13:41Z
The P180 is definitely better for low noise.
giantjoebot
2007-01-05T13:19:29Z
I'm just going to get both. I've been thinking about it, and I would rather have 2 different cases. Plus this way its cheaper. If anyone think I should do otherwise, please speak now, because iif I'm going to get the Antec Nine Hundred I have to do it by tomorrow.

Its going to be a while, but I can't wait to get everything setup with that new desk. It just barley fits in my room.

EDIT: Just ordered the Antec Nine Hundred for in store pick up, picked it up. Very nice looking case, lighter than I thought it would be.
Thunder Chunks
2007-01-07T06:36:38Z
I wish the 180 had its on/off button situated so you didnt have to open the case door to use it. Thats my only real issue with it (though a modded side window would also be nice) Are you going to post pics of your 9OO build?
giantjoebot
2007-01-07T09:25:28Z
Yeah, but I'm so busy, I'm not sure when I'll be able to get everything moved over. I first have to setup a 30 gallon fish tank, transfer my fish, take down my 100 gallon tank, put it in the garage, Put an AC unit in the window and put together the desk. Plus I finally ordered the last pieces to build my Linux firewall. I'm also considering changing the chipset fan during the switch.

The case is really nice, and I was surprised at how good the fans that come with it are. Mine had a manufacture defect, and I couldn't get the side panel off for the longest time. Some of the metal was bent wrong. No big deal, just bent it back, hardly worth the hour round trip to exchange it. I was a little disappointed that there weren't any gramets or anything for the hard drive bays.

I'm been thinking a lot about whether I should re-mount the CPU cooler, and have it blowing up into the 200mm fan, or leave it pointing towards the back. Anyone have an idea which would be better. I have a Zalman 9500.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2007-01-11T16:30:54Z
quote:

Originally posted by: Thunder Chunks
I wish the 180 had its on/off button situated so you didnt have to open the case door to use it.

Ditto! They put the USB ports outside so why not the power button? Annoys me greatly...

quote:

Originally posted by: Thunder Chunks
(though a modded side window would also be nice

That would completely void all the silencing features! The side panels wouldn't be dampened any longer and windows are bad really for vibrations.

I'm sure you could find someone that makes a custom door, though.
Thunder Chunks
2007-01-12T19:21:28Z
Jordan, I understand about the side window. Ive seen a couple of modded pannels (from both US and UK suppliers) and they just dont look the part. I'd like to see an official Antec variant. As for noise, having seen the up and comping P190
I would imagine that a properly built side window would be a lot less noisy than sticking a wacking great fan onto the side panel
giantjoebot
2007-01-12T22:12:23Z
Thats the same fan that is on the nine hundred
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2007-01-13T18:14:21Z
The P190 looks like it's been developed to cool higher end systems, specifically SLI systems, with it's large side fan. I'll stick with my P180
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2007-01-16T17:04:22Z
Oh, there's a P182 on the way which adds minor improvements upon the P180.
giantjoebot
2007-01-16T18:03:43Z
I hope that these new cases will cause the P180 to drop in price. Also found a pic of a mirror finish P182, that may or may not come out.
http://www.thetechlounge.com/f...les/355/images/297.jpg