hawk386
  •  hawk386
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-11-01T22:16:13Z
i recently build a new rig with all new parts, including a conroe e6300 and 2gbs ocz gold ram. the only part that isnt as fast as i would hope for is the video card, a nvidia 128mb, not sli-capable. whenever i try to play oblivion at higher than the lowest graphics settings and resolutions, the game lags. is it just my video card not having enough memory or is it something thats possibly slowing down the game?
Sam
  •  Sam
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
2006-11-01T23:12:51Z
what kind of video card do you have?
arkeneaver
2006-11-02T03:35:51Z
Isnt 128mb memory the minimum requirement?
If it is, then it would be expected that you can only play on the lowest settings. How you do not get lagg even on low settings is beyond me, oblivion taxes even the latest graphics cards.
BebeX
2006-11-02T07:47:20Z
you're going to have to elaborate-'nvidia 128mb' could be any one of a hundred different cards...but rest-assured, unless you paid through the nose for a video card, it ain't gonna be enough to run oblivion anywhere near the playable FPS range.
arkeneaver
2006-11-02T08:14:27Z
well.... there are some FPS games that can be played with 64mb. like CSS, that was playable for me when i had a 64mb card. Quake 4 also isnt very taxing, that can be played with absolutly no lagg with a 128 card.
BebeX
2006-11-05T17:47:07Z
well, yeah, but y'know what i mean- a 64 meg card will run css on lowest settings, and it'll be playable, but you've gotta draw the line somewhere!
arkeneaver
2006-11-27T03:43:23Z
lol.
You saying CSS is not a very good fps?
Its one of the most popular, and very graphical. Not many games out there require that much vid memory. More on the basis of CPU clock speeds and RAM memory. Ive only just built my pc lol, and now im guna help a friend chose an uber pc, on budget of course. My set up is one of the best in the college mwhaha. After i get the amd 4600 dual core, possibly higher, and another 1 gb of ocz ram, it will be the best.
Elsparrow
2006-11-27T05:15:30Z
ark how the hell did you get onto CS: Source (which is actually as crap as CS 1.6 due to the number of cheats and silly 12 year olds) when BebeX was talking about FPS as in frames per second?

Also don't be too happy about your rig, I know someone who is thinking of spending a grand or so, with at least one 8800 series card.....

rich b*stard
BebeX
2006-11-27T12:12:43Z
quote:

Originally posted by: arkeneaver
lol.
You saying CSS is not a very good fps?
Its one of the most popular, and very graphical. Not many games out there require that much vid memory. More on the basis of CPU clock speeds and RAM memory. Ive only just built my pc lol, and now im guna help a friend chose an uber pc, on budget of course. My set up is one of the best in the college mwhaha. After i get the amd 4600 dual core, possibly higher, and another 1 gb of ocz ram, it will be the best.

CS:S is a great game- i don't think i suggested otherwise...did I?? I meant that a card with 64mb onboard RAM may well run CS:S, but not very well!!
^Bad_Boy^
2006-11-27T13:14:11Z
quote:

Originally posted by: hawk386
i recently build a new rig with all new parts, including a conroe e6300 and 2gbs ocz gold ram. the only part that isnt as fast as i would hope for is the video card, a nvidia 128mb, not sli-capable. whenever i try to play oblivion at higher than the lowest graphics settings and resolutions, the game lags. is it just my video card not having enough memory or is it something thats possibly slowing down the game?

Remembe that MBs is not the whole deal, the GPU is the Most Important part of a Video Card...

Well That's my Opinion, then of Course Memory
Thunder Chunks
2006-11-27T19:55:51Z
You'll be lucky to get high frame rates with a 128bm GPU (and for the argument CS:S still rocks).
arkeneaver
2006-12-01T10:10:16Z
quote:

Originally posted by: Elsparrow
ark how the hell did you get onto CS: Source (which is actually as crap as CS 1.6 due to the number of cheats and silly 12 year olds) when BebeX was talking about FPS as in frames per second?

Also don't be too happy about your rig, I know someone who is thinking of spending a grand or so, with at least one 8800 series card.....

rich b*stard

You obviously dont appreciate games my friend. CS source has much much better graphics then CS 1.6. The textures are far better. If you were to cheat on CS source, it wouldnt take long to get your account permantly banned. There are not many cheats on CS source anyway.
You must hate team play games, perhaps your a control freak? and thus, not very good at these types of games, or perhaps im just making incorrect jugdments against your biased comments.

When i say: "one of the best pc's in the college" i mean my college, not the world. Read next time
SquishyVirus
2006-12-14T23:40:56Z
CS:S is pretty cool. But no, VAC rarely EVER works. Its not like an insta-ban for those aimbot speed hacking 12 year-olds that want attention because their parents dont love them... Ahem, I digress. Anyway, it could be the fact that your GFX card only has 128MB onboard memory. I am running an Nvidia 6600GT (128MB onboard) 1.5 GB Corsair XMS RAM, P4 @ 3.0GHz (no oc), and I am sort of struggling to play oblivion at 10248762 (widescreen, the res is close to that, not exactly sure), on meidum settings. I am not going to upgrade my video card until the DX 10 cards get A LOT cheaper, because I don't have tons of money to throw away. But them, my CPU will be a big bottleneck for my system, so I will need a new MoBo and CPU. Man computers can cost a lot... >.>

EDIT: I can play CS:S at 1440x900 most settings High (No AA) at around 40 fps, which isn't too bad. So 128bit cards don't make it look THAT bad 😛
DAVIDINTEL
2006-12-15T03:18:13Z
Even top end cards get knocked around by Oblivion, best advice is to get the fastest card you can afford. I can run Oblivion on my radeon 9550, but it ain't pretty. The fact I can run it at all though seems like a miracle. Neverwinter Nights 2 runs even worse than Oblivion for me!