BBurk
  •  BBurk
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-07-03T16:45:23Z
I had posted a while back that I am looking to build a silent low cost gaming system and had it all about figured out. Then my car basically blew up to the tune of $1300. That put buying a computer on hold, but I am now once again working on it and am hoping to find out if anything changed I should know about since then.

I am using my existing monitor, speakers, ect, so I just need the tower.

Thanks to Jordan's suggestion I have the Antec P150 case. I need a MB, CPU & fan, memory, HD, & video card now (and anything else I might be forgetting ) .

I would like to run 3 things at once, World of Warcraft, Dragon Naturally Speaking, and a web browser (I usualy use Avant).

The Abit AN8 SLI had been suggested, I see there is a KN8 SLI now, but do not know what the difference is.

This kind of caught my eye;
GIGABYTE GV-NX76T256D-RH Geforce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Silent Pipe II, Lead Free Video Card - Retail $174

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125025

; any opinions on it? I wonder how well it will fit on the MB.

I am hoping to stay in the $600 range, but can push that a bit.

thanks
ice_73
2006-07-04T20:14:49Z
i recomend a amd dual core 3800+ ~ 300

asus a8n (abit sucks) ~ 70

x800 or x850. ~ 50-120 (i got a x850xt for 120)

raptor hd ~ 90

and 2gb of g.skill ram ~ 160

this will cost about 700 but it will last you for time to come.
BBurk
  •  BBurk
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-07-04T20:45:50Z
How is all that stuff on noise? I know the raptor drives are loud. Is that a MB with passisve cooling? Are there fanless versions of those video cards? thanks, Doug
ice_73
2006-07-04T21:30:41Z
quote:

Originally posted by: BBurk
How is all that stuff on noise? I know the raptor drives are loud. Is that a MB with passisve cooling? Are there fanless versions of those video cards? thanks, Doug

well the raptors are quiet for me (the 74 gb raptors and the 150 gb versions are quiet but the 36 gb version is LOUD) the 74 and 150 gb raptors use fluid bearings and are quiet.

the mb has a small fan but it isnt load at all.

the video card depends on what specific model you buy but my x850xt (which is near the better of the cards i suggested isnt too loud for me, it can get loud if you want it, using fan control and setting it on 100% makes it loud but im running it overclocked and i dont even need it to operate at that fan speed so you dont need it at 100%. most of the time non overclocked its at around 4% which is quiet )

from all the parts i listed above none are louder than my powersupply so that should give you ncie idea about loudness.
ice_73
2006-07-04T21:31:51Z
also if your intrested i have a zalman 9500 cooler which is also quiet. overall for such performance it is near quiet and when your playing any game it is non audible. (as you know fans speed more when playing games or doing heavy tasks)
ice_73
2006-07-04T21:51:11Z
BBurk
  •  BBurk
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-07-05T01:25:50Z
Thanks for the link on the raptor. Better than they used to be for sure, but still too noisy for me I'm afraid. The power supply I have is rated at 25db as I recall, so am hoping to keep everything else under that. Doug
digitaldd
Reaper1988
2006-07-05T08:32:07Z
I just silenced my pc. I have the AN8 Ultra, bought a Arctic Cooling Accelero X1 for my 7800gt which made that silent. I bought a thermaltake TR2 psu which is 500watt and ver quiet and cheap (40 pounds). Also bought ther Thermaltake Big Water SE and replaced the fan with the tricool fan you get at the bottom section of you p180 case. Which i also have. All very quiet!
mentaldisorder
2006-07-09T21:58:17Z
Samsung hd's are the quietest. I know jordan hooked his pc up with a custom made floating had rack type thing. If it's not a portable computer that will cut noise. In this case, you will spend more money on a cpu than someone overclocking because you can't afford to have the cpu melt with a slower fan.

In regards to what reaper said:
When I used to avidly be on these forums, I remember the thermaltake line of watercooling being a waste of money. I don't think watercooling is the way to go with this low budget.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2006-07-10T05:08:08Z
Do you still need help on this BBurk?

I recommend you get a Gigabyte Mobo too, they're all passively cooled and inexpensive.

Samsung HDs are still amoungst the quietest but Silent PC Review found a new WD HD to be the questest desktop drive they've heard to date - check out SPCR. The Raptors are, surprisingly, very quiet idle but still very loud when reading/writing/seaking.

mentaldisorder - The P150 case BBurk bought has its very own HD suspension system Nice to know manufacturers are finally catching up and if anyone is going to pioneer a noise reducing feature it will be Antec.

For the heatsink, the choice is simple: Scythe Ninja Plus. Check out my review on HardwareHell (there is a link to it in the consumer review section of these forums).

BBurk, I don't visit these forums as often now so if you post any updates and want me to have a look just PM me (and I'll get an email) with a link to this thread.
BBurk
  •  BBurk
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-07-10T22:52:50Z
My plans have been changing a bit since I'v found out more about the Conroe (and my budget pushed out some in the process ). My intent as it stands at the moment is;

Antec P150 case
Conroe 6300 CPU
not sure yet on motherboard, waiting to see what comes out
OCZ Gold Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 667 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
GIGABYTE Geforce 7600GT 256MB Silent Pipe II
some DVD burner

Scythe Ninja or Scythe Ninja Plus - any comments on how these will fit in the case with the double wide vid card as well?

Doug
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2006-07-11T08:35:46Z
Shouldn't be a problem but it depends entirely on the Motherboard i.e. how close the CPU socket sits to the PCI-E slots.
mentaldisorder
2006-07-12T12:11:28Z
quote:

Originally posted by: Jordan
Do you still need help on this BBurk?

I recommend you get a Gigabyte Mobo too, they're all passively cooled and inexpensive.

Samsung HDs are still amoungst the quietest but Silent PC Review found a new WD HD to be the questest desktop drive they've heard to date - check out SPCR. The Raptors are, surprisingly, very quiet idle but still very loud when reading/writing/seaking.

mentaldisorder - The P150 case BBurk bought has its very own HD suspension system Nice to know manufacturers are finally catching up and if anyone is going to pioneer a noise reducing feature it will be Antec.

For the heatsink, the choice is simple: Scythe Ninja Plus. Check out my review on HardwareHell (there is a link to it in the consumer review section of these forums).

BBurk, I don't visit these forums as often now so if you post any updates and want me to have a look just PM me (and I'll get an email) with a link to this thread.

Boy oh boy have I missed out on a lot.
BBurk
  •  BBurk
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-08-19T11:14:07Z
The Conroe chips are out now. I just need to settle on a motherboard now. So what's best/most cost effective of what's out there or soon to be available? Doug