jewishhatmaker
2006-06-16T01:21:31Z
If you can think of something different then this set-up please tell me. I want something that will run games (oblivion and so forth) at their highest settings.

3800+ venice socket 939 $150

DFI lan party $123

2GB OCZ platinum $190

leadtek 7600 GT TDH extreme $194

Western Digital 250GB HD $90

XP Professional $135

as you can see I'm missing some other parts of the computer ... case, power supply, and so forth. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

TOTAL PRICE SO FAR: $882 TOTAL AMOUNT LEFT TO SPEND: -$82

and i still need a case, psu, and dvdrom/cd-rw. BUT i have $100 to best buy. oh ya. And I have to give my friend $100 for his 19inch analog/digital LCD. TOTAL PRICE ESTIMATED: $982 if I can get a case and a psu and a dvd-rw at Bestbuy for $100.
Der Meister
2006-06-16T02:02:51Z
case i would say any case will do sinec your not in for the "bling" factor just the $ factor. as for HD's i would suggest this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136010

Power supply im thinkgin a 430W will do you good seaconic make really top notch PSU's.
dorogar
2006-06-16T06:02:46Z
I don't know anything about leadtek

but the cpu/mobo/mem combination are good in my opinion are
jewishhatmaker
2006-06-16T13:30:44Z
Well I do care about the "bling factor" a little bit...I mean I've been looking at some stuff like the

Aspire X-plorer $60

If you had any recommedations for cases that are around $50-$75 and look good and work good I'd appreciate it. But yes...I am slightly more concerned with keeping it below $800....I can prolly get a dvdrom and or a cd rom at Bestbuy.com 'cause I should be getting a $100 store credit from them shortly. So I'm not counting them in the $800. SeaSonic powersupplies are a little out of my price range I think...so if I could find an adequate powesupply for under say $30 I'd be happy. Thanks a bunch for your comments! I will probably try and get that hard drive. I did find this deal on windows

XP Professional $135

It looks pretty good.
So nobody knows anything about that Graphics card? It's got awesome specs and good reviews...but ya I don't know anything about leadtek either....I had my friend buy something like this for his system a couple months ago XFX 6800 GS he says it's pretty awesome I guess.... but it was one of the best out there when he got it. And now for the same price.......Leadtek Winfast PX7600 GT TDH Extreme
charIie
2006-06-16T14:45:29Z
For the bling blingin case, why not go to a garage sale/ rummage sale and pick one up for a few bucks. Then paint it and customize it as you please... or when you get money. I spend 100$ on an aspire x dreamer which i grew bored of. i recently bought a new case for 2$ a few bottles of spraypaint 10$ and a sheet of plexy glass for 5$ and modded the hell out of this case. Took two days but it is sweet as hell. Once I transfer my comp into it ill post pics.
jewishhatmaker
2006-06-16T16:50:23Z
Sounds like a good idea...but I don't know if I'll have time to do that...I'm pretty jampacked these next few weeks...finishing up my 2 jobs and packing up my junk. That is a nice idea tho. I can get old computer cases anywhere...I think I even have a full tower in my garage. So I suppose I could mod one of those out...I'm not much of an artist tho.... if I don't have time for that tho does anyone have any other ideas for a cool case that is well layed out for around $65? And does anyone have any oppinions on my graphics card choice? (the leadtek 7600GT TDH Extreme, link above post)
Grahf
2006-06-22T16:08:14Z
Cut back on the processor (3500) and ram (1GB) to free up a bit more cash for the case and power supply. Pretty much anything on Newegg with the name Antec/Thermaltake/etc (good brands) you can't do wrong with a case/PS. DVD-ROM, pretty much anything they have to offer there is suitable.

Edit: spelling
Crisis Causer
2006-06-22T20:07:04Z
Cutting back to a 3500 isn't a bad idea to save a little $ but I suggest you keep with 2GB of ram.
Dev
  •  Dev
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2006-06-22T20:47:13Z
I agree with cutting back to a AMD 3500+ and 1 GB RAM. Also switching that hard drive to Seagate or Samsung will save some money too. In fact I prefer Seagate and Samsung over Western Digital they tend to be a little quieter and I have heard that they are create less heat too.
Crisis Causer
2006-06-23T00:02:57Z
I am not sure how you guys think cutting back on RAM will help him in running Oblivion.
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2006-06-23T11:04:40Z
quote:

Originally posted by: jewishhatmaker
If you can think of something different then this set-up please tell me. I want something that will run games (oblivion and so forth) at their highest settings.

How funny that he says he wants to run oblivion and other games at max settings and he is only getting a 7600GT. If you want to play games dont skimp on the vid card you will regret it. A minimum would be a 7800GT and since they are so hard to find and still fairly expensive the 7900GT for around $300 is an excellent choice.

Seriously dont buy a optical drive from best buy when you can get a dvd burner from newegg for under $50. For the case and psu if you do buy from best buy it will end up being more than $100 as the prices are jacked up. A Antec Sonata II is only $100 and comes with a nice psu.

If you want a gaming rig then be prepared to spend $1000 or more for something that will play todays games at fairly high settings, but if you want max settings then you best be able to cash in around $3000.
Grahf
2006-06-25T09:26:01Z
We recommended cutting back on RAM because that is one obvious area he can save money and lose the least. 1GB is plenty to play Oblivion, just not at max settings. Since he is on a budget and won't be able to play at max anyways, just cutting corners where they are best to be cut.
toxic_waste
2006-06-29T08:52:05Z
quote:

Originally posted by: Dev2
I agree with cutting back to a AMD 3500+ and 1 GB RAM. Also switching that hard drive to Seagate or Samsung will save some money too. In fact I prefer Seagate and Samsung over Western Digital they tend to be a little quieter and I have heard that they are create less heat too.

There is a problem with seagate, most of their harddrives are very good but once in a while you get something that is completly rubbish. Western digital makes too much noise. I have one right now, its the only thing i can hear spinning in my case, and i have a fatality GPU cooler running max.

My old samsung Drive rocked, it was the fastest and the most reliable, and i could hardly hear it. At this time it was IDE but still i prefer samsung.

Dont know if they still have their Deskstar series but they were awesome, and were really IBM made. I turned it over and there it was IBM chips, so i checked the net, and some site agreed with me.
giantjoebot
2006-06-29T10:46:35Z
They have some DFI Lanpartys on sale at monarch.

DFI Lan Party UT nForce4 SLI-DR $149.99

DFI Lanparty UT RDX200 CF-DR CrossFire (OEM) $69.99

As far as cases go you can get a Rosewill case on newegg for about $40. Here is a really nice case for about $60 shipped.