FattyLumpkin
2006-04-15T10:02:40Z
Hi. I woke up thismoring, after leaving my puter on all night, and was greeted with the following message...

"No boot filenamereceived
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE Rom.
Missing Operating System."

Scared the poo out of me. It took two hard reboots but now its running fine. The only two things that I can think of, 1) a new USB flash drive was plugged in and 2) a new windows update was installed overnight.

Either way, can anyone lend me some insight non this? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

SYSTEM & OS:
Case - ASPIRE (Turbo Case) X-Superalien Blue Aluminum Server Case
Power Supply - Aspire Turbo Case 500W 12V Black Dual Fan Aluminum Power Supply
Mobo - MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset for AMD Socket 939
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor 939 Pin
RAM - 2 Gigs of Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MBx4 DDR PC-3200
Video Card - BFG GeForce 6800GT, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, 8X AGP
Hard Drive - Maxtor 300GB 7200RPM SATA, 16 MB Buffer, Model 6B300S0
Monitor - UltraSharp 2001FP 20.1-inch Flat Panel LCD
OS - Windows XP Pro
Sponsor
FattyLumpkin
2006-04-15T22:44:28Z
Just in case someone else has this prob here is what I found....

Cause:
This is an expected operation. In the Boot Device priority setting in BIOS, you will see Removable Dev. (floppy), Hard Drive, ATAPI CD-ROM, and typically last is Intel UNDI PXE 2.0. This setting will attempt to boot off a remote agent using the onboard NIC. By seeing this message it means the PC cannot find a boot partition on the floppy disk, hard drive or the CD ROM to load the operating system.

Solution:

Install an operating system or put in a bootable device into the floppy or CDROM.

If you do not plan to boot to a remote boot host, you may disable the Intel UNDI PXE 2.0 option from the BIOS setup utility boot order.

Relevant Information:

* No operating system installed
* C drive does not have an operating system loaded
* No bootable floppy diskette in diskette drive
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2006-04-16T01:47:14Z
Dude that sounds like someone tried to use an exploit to remotely take control of your computer. I would step things up with a nice software firewall, and make sure you disable all the remote assistance, and disable the boot from lan in bios. I would scan your comp with everything you can imagine and hope nothing got put on your system that could do it harm.