Der Meister
2006-03-15T03:19:04Z
quote:

Kutaragi commits to aggressive worldwide simultaneous launch schedule

The PlayStation 3 is set to launch in North America, Asia and Europe in early November this year, Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has announced, with the firm committed to shipping six million units by the end of 2006.

Kutaragi was speaking at the PlayStation business briefing in Tokyo, where the firm is outlining its plans for the videogames business over the coming year to an audience of media, analysts and third-party publishing partners.

He told the briefing that the PS3 will be launched in early November in all three major global territories, confounding industry and analyst expectations of a staggered release schedule which would see the European launch delayed to 2007.

From launch onwards, Sony plans to ship a million units a month of the PlayStation 3 - with six million units to be on the market by the end of 2006, indicating that the company plans to have around four million units ready for day one.

It's an ambitious plan, but the firm certainly has time on its side - having moved its launch target from "spring 2006" to November, and with reports indicating that manufacturing of the console could begin as soon as June, Sony has plenty of time to build up stock of the system pre-launch.

Sony also today confirmed that the final development hardware for PlayStation 3 will roll out in June, which tends to support the claim that manufacturing will also start then, as final development hardware requires almost all of the components of the final consumer hardware to be completed.

However, the November target is likely to be the subject of some speculation for months to come - especially given Sony's track record with such ambitious worldwide launch targets in the form of the PlayStation Portable, which was originally due to launch globally at the end of 2004, but ended up not arriving in America until the second quarter of 2005, and didn't launch in Europe until nine months later, at the beginning of September 2005.

quote:

60Gb hard drive to be a default component, as Sony takes on Microsoft's advantage

Further details of the PlayStation 3 have emerged from Sony's business briefing in Tokyo today, with the firm revealing that the device's hard drive will not be optional, and that a free online service will roll out for the launch of the console.

It had previously been thought that the PS3 hard drive would be an optional device, as the hard drive on the Xbox 360 is, but Kutaragi was adamant today that the component, which will ship at 60Gb but can be upgraded, is required by the console.

As expected, the drive will allow the PlayStation 3 to act as a home media server, which can store and manipulate various different types of media that can then be accessed from other devices. However, it will also be capable of running a version of the Linux operating system, and will be key to the online service the company is planning.

That service, which is clearly designed as a direct competitor to Microsoft's Xbox Live, will be entirely free and will be available from the launch of the console, offering standard features such as game lobbies, player matching, voice chat and a variety of commercial features including software which will be distributed over the network and can be stored on the hard drive.

This latter feature is particularly interesting in light of the information received from development sources by GamesIndustry.biz earlier this week, indicating that Sony may be planning digital distribution of some of its PS2 and PSone back catalogue on PS3.

The company also this morning confirmed once again that PlayStation 3 will be entirely backwards-compatible with PS2 and PSone titles, and revealed that the new console will be able to upscale those games into high definition video formats.

Hopfully more news as the day in japan progresse
Sponsor
entermymatrix03
2006-03-15T09:01:04Z
dood, they can say what they want...but this thing is gonna be a monster in price. i got that feeling. i'm not dissing it until i see it, i just thing Sony isn't gonna be able to get it under $500-600.

i also read somewhere that this crew was speaking to Square Enix and the guys over in that camp still don't know what the specs are gonna be for it....how do they plan on shipping in November if developers don't know the specs? just a bit odd and there are tons of stories going around. makes it hard to know what is true or false.
Dev
  •  Dev
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2006-03-15T09:41:52Z
Tbh I wish these delays would truly cost sony. Its as if almost they can just get away with it because its.... well the playstation 3.
Since sony and microsoft are intending to battle it out via who has the the most powerful hardware the consequence will be xbox 360 equalling sony in market share after the playstaion sales start to smooth out after the buying boom unless the playstation 3 is significantly more powerful.
They days are gone when people got the best of both worlds by buying all the consoles . Consoles are too expensive now. Even to afford one is a considerable investment imagine having to splash out on a 360 and ps3. That would be well over a grand not even having bought a game yet (which arnt cheap either ).
Der Meister
2006-03-15T13:49:06Z
they wont have the final system figured out till june. and yes matrix they say it wil cost between $500-600....

matrix how do you like PG3? its my only real desire to get the xbox 360....
Freeman
2006-03-15T14:31:06Z
the 360 is a better console, in price, and maybe not in specs, but you have to go for value as well remember.
Dev
  •  Dev
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2006-03-15T15:15:27Z
The #1 rule for any console is

A games console is only as good as its games.

Remember that when people throw specs and hardware bs at you. Many people have lost sight of what games are about its all graphics now. Nice graphics are welcome and certainly are cool and create a sense of immersion but arnt neccessary for the game to be fun.
Covert_One24
2006-03-15T15:25:10Z
quote:

Originally posted by: Dev2
The #1 rule for any console is

A games console is only as good as its games.

Remember that when people throw specs and hardware bs at you. Many people have lost sight of what games are about its all graphics now. Nice graphics are welcome and certainly are cool and create a sense of immersion but arnt neccessary for the game to be fun.

QFT

You can have a super computer console with 9 processors in it and then have the crapiest game in there and well....it will look like crap. once the game developers know what they are going to do it will be decided if the PS3 is gunna be more powerful then the 360. IMHO (no offense enter) i played COD2 at bestbuy and it really didnt look any better than the regular XBOX. the PS3 is "said" to be able to blow away the 360. sony fudged up in there whole planning this thing out....like they always do. If they had this thing out for testing ack in 05 then game developers such as EA Games, etc etc would have way more time to make a succesful game and have it be up to date with the graphic demand of every gamer out there. now since from wut i read in this thread developers wont know whats going on until june....PS3 is said to come out in november. its gunna be a miracle if they actaully succesfully pull this whole thing together in such a short amount of time.
Freeman
2006-03-15T15:26:43Z
n64 had that philosophy, and i remember some of the best gaming of my life on that system.
Covert_One24
2006-03-15T15:45:45Z
N64 had better graphics than ps1. the terxture was a lot smooter. for example mario 64(amazing game) had wayyy better graphics than lets say Driver 2 which was horribly pixalated due to the weak game design mixed with low-mid end graphics processor in the ps1
entermymatrix03
2006-03-15T16:04:33Z
PGR3 is amazing. the in-car view is something to be expierenced. i'll take pics later (if you guys want me to) for those who haven't seen it or played it. just seeing that will make you want it due to the realism of the interiors and feeling.

COD2 looks nothing like what the original xbox could pull off. i don't have any thought in my mind that it could even come close to pulling it off. look at COD: big red one (original xbox) and COD2 (360) and you will see the difference. nothing close to each other.

i also don't think the ps3 will be out by the end of this year. if they do pull it off then its gonna be ugly just like the 360 launch and not everyone will have one and they will still be trying to fill orders 6 months after release date to the ones who preordered and the ones who didn't will be left still wanting one.

graphics aren't everything...full auto on the 360 proved that. looked great...played like fodder. i hated it and everyone else did also. that game just goes to show that graphics aren't everything in a game.
Freeman
2006-03-15T16:42:23Z
on the cod topic, i have a oxm mag witht hat comparison in there, ill take a pic later.
Der Meister
2006-03-15T16:51:20Z
quote:

Originally posted by: entermymatrix03
PGR3 is amazing. the in-car view is something to be expierenced. i'll take pics later (if you guys want me to) for those who haven't seen it or played it. just seeing that will make you want it due to the realism of the interiors and feeling.

thats kinda why i wanted it... o and you can drive ferraris in it ,which you cant in GT4 and to be seen in GT5(hopfuly)
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2006-03-16T12:44:15Z
The Nintendo Revolution will pwn both MS and Sony. Nintendo is going for the kids/teens, while MS and Sony are going for the teens/adults. I loved my N64 and still play it along with my super nintendo and my sega genisis. THose consoles had GREAT games on it that were fun. All i saw from Sony is ok games nothing i would really spend my hard earned money on. The xbox is kinda the same way as i just dont like controlers for most games. A kb/mouse is far superior to any controler i have ever used. The revolutions controler is unique and i think the way nintendo is marketing this as well as the low price should make it a console everyone will want.
Elsparrow
2006-03-16T12:46:09Z
Drago how can you say Sonic is just an OK game?

Sonic = teh win.

How on earth Solid Snake ranks as a better in game hero than Sonic I dunno.
Dev
  •  Dev
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2006-03-16T13:04:53Z
"The Nintendo Revolution will pwn both MS and Sony"
I hope you are talking about gameplay because it is the truth.
Obviously not sales wise or graphically.But then again nintendo are hoping to make it so cheap*.

*relative to ps3 and 360.