skruples
2006-02-05T07:15:10Z
I recently installed a new heatsink on my cpu. Normally this shouldnt have any effect whatsoever on the functionality of the computer, but after doing so my computer will no longer work properly with 4 gigs of ram enabled. Using memtest86 i tested all 4 sticks individually and found no problems. However when the bios setting for h/w mapping over 4gb is enabled, memtest86 will fail every single time. When that setting is disabled, the computer runs with 3 gigs with no problems at all. Windows will run, but almost every application i tried to open told me there was no memory available. The applications that did work were my web browser and teamspeak.

I've tried resetting the bios, but that accomplished nothing except causing my raid setup to fail. This was fixed with some simple bios settings.

Any ideas about what could be causing this? I've been banging my head against this for 4 hours and I can't think of anything else to try. Any help would be appreciated.

Im running 4 1gb sticks of corsair xms pro, ddr 400 at 3, 3, 3, 8. The bios memory timings and settings all appear to be correct.

My setup:
amd x2 4800
asus A8N-SLI premium bios revision 1011-001
4gb ram in 4 dimms
2x geforce 7800 gtx 512
creative x-fi
Sponsor
bigyin
2006-02-05T10:37:04Z
What frequency is your mem at? I know a guy who had similar trouble with 4 sticks in. If its running at 400 then you have to lower it to 333. Don't ask why beause its a flaw from asus. If you want more information on it visit the asus forum on it, a lot of guys are kicking up big time about it.

Anyway try that first m8, lower it to 333 then test it and it should be ok.
skruples
2006-02-05T22:38:07Z
tried running in 333 mode, still having the same problem.
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2006-02-06T13:14:29Z
That almost sounds like something is causing a short on your motherboard. What kind of new heatsink did you install and was it secured properly and not hitting any capacitors around the cpu socket?
skruples
2006-02-08T04:37:49Z
Its a thermaltake Big Typhoon, and it shouldnt be shorting anything out. I used the backplate that came with the motherboard, and didnt tighten the screws down too much. I have to agree that its probably a motherboard problem though, I've also been having problems with the BIOS not posting when I turn the computer on sometimes. Turning it off and back on solves that, and theres no problems with stability once its on.

I've also had the ever present problem of my graphics cards crashing my computer while in SLI mode, which I'm also starting to believe is a motherboard issue. EVGA has told me theyre stumped on that problem.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2006-02-08T05:29:35Z
quote:

Originally posted by: bigyin
What frequency is your mem at? I know a guy who had similar trouble with 4 sticks in. If its running at 400 then you have to lower it to 333. Don't ask why beause its a flaw from asus. If you want more information on it visit the asus forum on it, a lot of guys are kicking up big time about it.

Anyway try that first m8, lower it to 333 then test it and it should be ok.

It's more of a flaw between nForce 4 boards and A64s, it's common to all boards with the NF4 chipset and pre-Venice cores(? - I think).
bob_on_the_cob
2006-02-08T06:09:46Z
but he has a X2
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2006-02-08T06:24:57Z
Like I suggested, I was unsure about the core thing, it's just something I heard. Never read into the topic

I didn't think the problem had been fixed personally, just a semi-reliable source suggested otherwise and i remeber reading about AMDs claims that all these problems would be fixed with the Venice core.
EnoEtile
2006-02-25T14:01:35Z
What can u possibly need 4gigs for?
thebeginning
2006-02-25T14:59:16Z
probably for memory intensive progs like video and graphics work...

that's odd. you'll probably have to run at 333mhz at T2 (it might be set at T1) if you're using four sticks.
Dima202
2006-03-06T02:54:50Z
Try updating the bios?? EH.. (if you haven't already tried)
What I don't understand is that it used to work before you installed the new heatsink?
Did you try installing the old one back and check if it works?
Hmm.. Also check that the PSU can give that much power that heatsink and everything else need (this is prob. not the problem)
If nothing I said works, I am really curious what it could be.

Good luck!