mdmkjm
  •  mdmkjm
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-01-26T19:48:01Z
Will dual channel memory, 2 hard drives in RAID, dual video cards, and PCI Express work better with a dual core CPU then with a single one? Isn't what all the new motherboards with PCI E, SLI, and Hyperthread technology were made for? With a OS that interfaces all these things together building a computer with a dual core would make everything work to its optimum performance, or will the single core just do the same exact job. Or in addition, are all the software lagging behind this technology?

I'm looking to build a new system with an A8NSLI Premium Motherboard with a AMD Anthion64 X2 XP4400+ and I don't want to upgrade for at least 5 years.

Thanks!
Sponsor
jfrjimenez
2006-01-26T20:39:59Z
All that stuff will work better with dual-core chips, but not just because it has the dual prefix. Especially the RAID, since much of this logic is sent through the processor for...processing. With dual-core, you have much more data throughput. And if you make the dual-core jump and you find software lagging, take comfort, because it won't be for long. Dual-core (or multicore) optimization in software is where the industry's heading, so if I were to build now I'd buy a dual-core.
ypx
  •  ypx
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2006-01-27T16:13:30Z
Can you still use XP with a dual core processor. Or do I need XP x64?
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2006-01-27T17:36:14Z
You can use XP Home or Pro with dual-core.
chrismetalrock
2006-01-27T19:59:07Z
im using a dual core, not many programs or games run utilize it yet. in time it will happen though, the amd x2 3800's price was recently lowered 20 bucks, which is big news in a cpu market lol id pick that one up
l aedis l
2006-01-28T14:48:12Z
i own the x2 3800+ and i think it's amazing. But this could be due to the fact that i just made a HUGE upgrade from a 1GHz P3.

But yeah, multitaskin on this processor is amazing. I can play F.E.A.R., encode a DVD, and surf the web all at the same time, no sweat.
tee_castor
2006-01-28T23:47:06Z
you should choose dual core because soon almost all games will be requireing dual core but for now single core is fine
Freeman
2006-01-29T03:35:43Z
wow ted, don post when you dont have a full idea of what youre talking about. newer games will start to optimize for dual cpre, but it will not become a requirement. and almost all does not summarize what we see today, in that the unreal 3 engine is going dual-core, but no other major announcements like this have been made.
Der Meister
2006-01-29T04:44:44Z
^whos ted? but what your saying is true. i dont think any game untill 2007-2008 will have dual core support. then it will be obsleet to have it since it will be quad cores.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2006-01-29T08:38:28Z
quote:

Originally posted by: Der Meister
^whos ted? but what your saying is true. i dont think any game untill 2007-2008 will have dual core support. then it will be obsleet to have it since it will be quad cores.

Sooner than that. Quake 4 has already been patched for it, it doesn't bring any benifit to AMD yet (ID worked only with Intel for HT), but driver updates from nVidia and Ati are adding increased support.
Freeman
2006-01-29T17:12:12Z
ted is tee castor, my friend. and as for the dual core adoption, i dont think a patch will do it, the entire game needs to be built for dual core from the ground up.
Oats
  •  Oats
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2006-02-01T15:19:24Z
Which involves more work. it will I dont think, Ever become a nessesity to have duel - core, considering not many gamers have it and it would be unfair for developers to force it onto you. A bit like developers cannot resonably ask for more than 512mb ram. Although the developers who have made Starship Troopers are only including support for certain video cards which I think is wrong.
pcthuglife
2006-02-03T15:41:35Z
quote:

Will dual channel memory, 2 hard drives in RAID, dual video cards, and PCI Express work better with a dual core CPU then with a single one?

I wouldn't say it's a matter of "working better", with one or the other. Dual core chips are fast, and they're great multitaskers. That would be why a system might run faster with a dual core chip vs a single core.

quote:

Especially the RAID, since much of this logic is sent through the processor for...processing

That's not always true. If they are running a software RAID which is the kind of RAID 0/1 you'd get with a lot of the onboard RAID controllers on today's enthusiast boards. If you spend the bling and get a true hardware RAID controller, the raid card'[censored]ard processor does all the work for you and no extra work has to be done by the system's main cpu.