Cabbage
  •  Cabbage
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-12-29T08:47:02Z
Hi all. I've recently decided that its time to call it quits and upgrade my PC. I've had the motherboard/Processer and one HDD in the machine for about 2 and a half years now and its about time i got a new CPU/Motherboard. For one the temps on my CPU are rising quite a bit, it'd probably be more beneficial to start a new than clean the silver compound off the heatsink/CPU etc. I would be quite content just to upgrade the CPU in my current machine from a AMD Athlon XP 2500+ to a AMD Athlon XP 3200+, however this product line seems to have ended to make way for the Semprons. I'd settle with a 32-bit sempron but i can't find one on my site-of-choice (www.overclockers.co.uk, its local to me at university and cheap).

I have about 130 at my disposal from some Christmas money and i'd be willing to chip in maybe 40 from my student loan. My current system is as follows, anything that i wish to salvage i shall make bold.

Motherboard: Abit NF7-S revision 2.0
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 'M' (Mobile core, used to overclock it to the speed of a 3200 and it kept it cooler than a normal desktop CPU would.
RAM: 1024MB (512MB x 2) GEiL Value 3200
GPU: ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
HDD 1: Maxtor 200GB SATA
HDD 2: Knackered up old 40GB IDE drive used for storing music
Optical Drives/Speakers/Monitor/Peripherals
450w Qtec PSU

As i have mentioned a few times, i am a student and can't afford much. I don't even have a job (Stoke-on-Trent doesn't seem to have much for someone not willing to work over Christmas). Basicaly i need an affordable but effective sollution, or should i stick it out until i have some more cash?
Sponsor
nelsoncp21
2005-12-29T09:42:07Z
Motherboard

either 3000 or 3200

depends on what shipping will cost you but that will leave you plenty of room to upgrade except for your graphics card but you don't have the money to go to pcix16 so you'll have to make do with agp for awhile.
Cabbage
  •  Cabbage
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-12-29T11:24:27Z
Might be a silly question, and theoreticaly its a very silly question (I spent the last 3 months at university learning about system arcitecture and stuff and it makes no sense) but i might as well ask. Can you get motherboard with both AGP and PCI-E?
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-12-29T11:28:08Z
Yes, you can. Asrock make one if memory serves right.
I Matador I
2005-12-29T20:06:56Z
yea and ECS makes a killer 939 board with AGP and PCI-E for about $65 from NewEgg.com

Here are both board (ASRock & ECS) from NewEgg (Just Click whichever one you want to check out)