Elsparrow
2005-12-07T15:19:32Z
Well I appear to have a buyer for my Abit AN8 Ultra.

Now I just need to decide which motherboard to get.

The following factors are critical in my selection:

- Dual LAN
- Overclocking
- Reliability
- Decent Layout
- Black PCB with no f***ing red leds.

So I narrowed it down to the 2 above. I will never ever use SLI but if the Asus is the better board for the above factors then I will go for it.

Basically which one should I go for? The DFI is slightly cheaper and has 6 USB ports on the I/O compared to the Asus which has 4 although both support up to 10. Also the Asus has SATA II capabilities but I doubt I really need that. Also isn't there an issue with the Asus NB fans packing up within a few months?

So basically shall I opt for the DFI which is cheaper or go for the Asus which is slightly more, slightly better layout with the PCI/PCI-E slots and extra SATA capabilites?

Primarily its overclocking, USB headers and dual LAN I want to take into account and in all honesty I am leaning towards the DFI unless anyone can convince me otherwise.
Freeman
2005-12-07T15:27:29Z
Asus A8N, it is extremly reliable, all the bugs have been worked out, and even if you think you don;t need SLI now, just think, if you want to, you don;t have to buy a new super board, you can get the same board for less and probably have about the same performance.
Elsparrow
2005-12-07T15:34:43Z
Well I will never be able to afford SLI.

What about all these dead NB fans I have been hearing about on the Asus?
Freeman
2005-12-07T16:13:37Z
That issue is on the non-Deluxe edition of the board, so if you go deluxe (newegg has a sale), then you shouldn't have to worry. If you'll never afford SLI then go for the DFI, it's a good company, good board, good chipset, and average reliability.
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-12-07T16:39:51Z
Average reliablity my ass gizmo dude get your facts straight before you start saying crap you cant back up. DFI boards are some of the most stable boards you can get, and all i ever hear and read about ASUS is that their boards are DOA, bois coruption, hardware issues like chipsetfans dieing, and sli issues out the wazoo. Maybe they got it all fixed but i dont know if i would buy something from a company that has that [censored]ty of a track record.

Every motherboard manufacture out ther will have issues some time, but atm asus seems to be having them while DFI isnt. Ill reccomend DFI as you dont need sli, but do check about the red leds, cause my dfi board has 2 of em, one at the bottom for power indication and the other at the top for DRAM power.
Elsparrow
2005-12-07T16:42:02Z
hehe 2 red ones for power and ram I can cope with. Its when you got 6/7 of them on your board it gets irritating

Just out of interest are the DFI's that fussy with RAM or is that a myth?

Thanks drago man.
Freeman
2005-12-07T17:18:24Z
sorry. That post was wrong. DFI are rock solid. But. Even saying that, the A8N SLi does not have any issues I know of. I only said that because I have a couple of friends who all bought the same DFI voard (it was on sale), and they have huge problems, i.e. it had bugs with many games (HL2 and Far Cry), with the chipset driver giving a BSOD. Otherwise, the nForce 4 DFIs are great.

EDIT - From what I see in the Manuals, I could see that it supports mostly only up to DDR 400, but I don't know not having used one myself. I'll ask my friends who have them (they got them replaced), and see if they have trouble. Lol, their manuals say 100% Jpanese capicitors, thats a bad translation
Elsparrow
2005-12-07T17:26:03Z
Chipset drivers are pretty much generic for all boards with that chipset so it was probably a dodgy driver they got.
Freeman
2005-12-07T17:29:02Z
True. But they used the driver off of their driver CD. That isn;t good reliability in my books.
Elsparrow
2005-12-07T17:30:05Z
Well I always get my chipset driver off the internet when installing rather than use the stuff on the CD as the most up to date ones generally work the best.
Freeman
2005-12-07T17:33:12Z
True. Remember my network problem (you posted in the thread)? I solved it by resetting my router and installing the latest chipset drivers off of Abit.com. The lan must have not been cominicating witht the chipset and that was causing the problem.
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-12-07T19:16:41Z
Well as far as RAM goes, it can be fussy but that depends on your RAM more than the board. My memory wasnt detected with the right timings, so i just went in and changed them to what they were supposed to be at and they were fine. With DFI there are so many options and so much documentation out there it shouldnt be hard to figure out what to do to fix any little annoyance or issue you come across. Heck there are even threads that are just about every option available in the DFI bios that you can change and what it does. If you get it send me a line and ill point you to those links.
Freeman
2005-12-07T19:26:15Z
Sounds like a sweet board for hardware tweakers like us. I have an Abit 1c7 Max3, what do you think of that board? And I'm thinking of making the switch to 939 sometime next year, although I just bough an X850XT AGP, so my mother choices are limited. Whatd'you reccomend from DFI (I'm starting to like this company more and more)?