dan4real
2005-12-07T01:33:41Z
Hey,

I was thinking of uprgrading processor, and was wondering what is better for games and why.

Say an athalon 64 3800+ or Athalon 64 3800+ . I heard that for some games dual cores dont make much of a differnce, and there may be problems.

Thanks
Dan
Sponsor
Ne0rC
2005-12-07T01:40:31Z
Get the dual core, better performance overall.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-12-07T03:38:14Z
The single core 3800+ would be faster now but the dual-core is the future.

The idea is that game (and other application) developers will start to write code to support more than one core or CPU and at this point the dual-core chips should streak ahead in gaming.
Venom
2005-12-07T18:23:24Z
Whats great about dual core is running more than one program at a time, without ever bugging down the one CPU so that EVERYTHING runs slow with a single core CPU. Ever have a program calculate a lot of stuff and have your mouse pointer stop moving/slow down and not be able to do anything? Won't happen with dual core. Games right now don't take advantage of the second core, but I suspect they will very soon because of the new consoles being multi core systems. I upgraded my A64 single core to a dual core Opteron (running at the same speed as the A64 X2 4800+) and won't look back. Haven't seen a single slow down in windows or other programs yet.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-12-07T18:39:54Z
quote:

Originally posted by: Venom
Whats great about dual core is running more than one program at a time, without ever bugging down the one CPU so that EVERYTHING runs slow with a single core CPU. Ever have a program calculate a lot of stuff and have your mouse pointer stop moving/slow down and not be able to do anything? Won't happen with dual core. Games right now don't take advantage of the second core, but I suspect they will very soon because of the new consoles being multi core systems. I upgraded my A64 single core to a dual core Opteron (running at the same speed as the A64 X2 4800+) and won't look back. Haven't seen a single slow down in windows or other programs yet.

It's the kind of feedback that's so rare on the net. Usually it's just performance benchmarks with no sunjecxtive input. It's nice to hear an end users experiance.
wizard8873
2005-12-09T12:11:00Z
def go with the dualcore. while it may not be better for gaming now, its great when you use a lot of programs at once. I watched a movie, surfed the web and wrote a paper(the movie was in the background and i was skipping back and forth, and was burning tow cds at once and my PC didn't take a hit. If you do a lot more than gaming, dualcore is the way go. single cores might be faster in gaming but even then not by a huge amount, maybe 10 frames or a little more but its nothing big. i use my PC for everything so i looked past that and I wouldnt trade it for anything. even though i use the X2 3800+ which is the bottom of the line, its still a great product. i'd go with one thats higher or possible an Opteran.