woople
  •  woople
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-09-11T06:45:55Z
Hi, i wonder if anyone can help with my laptop problem? It is a Toshiba Tecra 9100.
When i turn it on i get the power on light and maybe 5 secs of h/d activity, it then just stops! The screen freezes at whatever portion of boot it's got to. Sometimes it doesn't even get that far, just power light on and thats it?
It was suggested the cmos batt might be flat stopping it from booting, but even when the mains cord is in it does the same. Is it possible the h/d is broken? Any more suggestions i can try before i launch it through the nearest window 😕
Sponsor
totot
2005-09-11T09:03:40Z
yeah could be HD is bad or MBR is damaged. Try to listen to HD during boot and see if you can hear any unusual sound...
Also try to boot from other media Cd,usb,floppy, and browse to your HD..if it is bad you will probably not see it at all.
woople
  •  woople
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-09-11T09:18:39Z
Update:-

Got it to boot to start screen, but after about 1minute, i got the blue screen of death

***Hardware Malfunction
Call Hardware VendorFor Support
NMI: CHANNEL CHECK/IOCHK
***The System Has Halted***

What is this?

Tried to boot off CD but still getting to same, does not even boot sometimes just power on light, with little fan running?

MBR= Motherboard/Main Board?
totot
2005-09-11T09:56:00Z
well I would try to reinstall OS
woople
  •  woople
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-09-11T10:21:38Z
quote:

Originally posted by: totot
well I would try to reinstall OS

Thats the problem though, the laptop wont start up, power on light and nothing else? No drive activity (h/d or cd) 95% of time just sits there with green power on led and black screen, occasionally makes it to POST and then xp start screen but freezes anywhere on way.
totot
2005-09-11T11:44:58Z
hm can you get to BIOS at least??
woople
  •  woople
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-09-11T13:20:23Z
No, only maybe 1% of time it is very erratic at best
totot
2005-09-13T01:26:11Z
I would maybe try boot from USB / Cd and flash BIOS.. well prividing you can boot at all..that is. Otherwise take it back to the shop ( if still in warranty ) or have it serviced.