entermymatrix03
2005-09-10T00:07:27Z
hey all, i'm completely stumpted! i've had the same configuration inside my pc for about 2 years now. i recently installed my x850xt pe, but thats all i've changed. here lately i've been getting lockups. i thought i had a virus so i reformatted for the hell of it and it still continues. i opened my case to see if my ram was seated properly and it was. all was good with the graphics card, pci cards, and the processor. i cleared my CMOS just to try that also. it used to do it only while on the net but now its becoming more and more frequent. today i was burning some dvd's and it locked up twice. no keys respond and nothing moves. i don't really recall it doing this before my video card upgrade, so i got to thinking it was that. i've installed ati tool and i've always ran the fan at 100% all the time. i've never had one lockup while gaming, but while in windows its all the time. i've had no software changes or anything either. i take stuff off to format and put it all back on the way it came off. any of you chumps got any ideas as to what it may be? i was thinking overheating graphics card because people say the Visiontek's run hot, but to not lockup while full out gaming and then crash in windows made me throw that out. what else can i do? thanks guys.
Elsparrow
2005-09-10T06:10:13Z
Well you can't have any overclocks especially as you cleared CMOS...

Is the CPU fan working?
HotshotUK
2005-09-10T10:17:44Z
What about spyware or adware? Run a virus check recently?
entermymatrix03
2005-09-10T10:49:30Z
yeah, virus scan and adware scans came back clean. CPU fan is working properly, its actually what i checked first. it never did this until i installed the new video card.....hmmm...i still think its that, i just don't know what it could be. surely its not overheating.
Elsparrow
2005-09-10T10:51:36Z
Tried different drivers at all?

Get Everest Home and you can check the GPU temp
pcthuglife
2005-09-10T10:53:07Z
Install the latest drivers from ati's site. Also get the latest mobo drivers from the mobo site. If you were previously using an nvidia video card, make sure you remove all of its graphics drivers.
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-09-10T13:48:29Z
Well as far as i could tell the Catalyst 5.6 drivers were the best ones that i have ever used with an ATI card, so try them(get the contol panel not the CCC, the CCC is really bloated and i have had problems with it). Make sure your chipset drivers are up to date as well. See if any of your other hardware might have some sort of conflict with your vid card.

The only other thing i could think of would be your PSU, but you should see lockups in games to if it was your psu. It might be a bad sector on your hard drive, so try doing a chkdsk /f from command prompt and see what it finds. Also you might want to Memtest your RAM, maybe one of them has a faulty spot in it that is causing your comp to lock up.
entermymatrix03
2005-09-10T16:09:06Z
i have never owned a nvidia card in this computer. alway ATI (and i plan to stay that way ). i will get memtest and try it on the ram. i hope its not that because i payed almost $300 for 2x512 mushkin 2-3-2 special goodness! i checked the other day to see if maybe there was a bios update for my mobo and there wasn't. i'll check on the latest chipset drivers. i've never heard of a chipset upgrade for various agp cards. i thought one agp slot is as good as another for agp cards. its not like when new processors come out with the same slots as the old ones and you have to upgrade stuff for support. it's not like that is it? i was gonna run a chkdisk the other day also but i ran outta time. dammit!!!! this really blows! if the ram was faulty, wouldn't it mess up in games also?
entermymatrix03
2005-09-10T19:18:32Z
is there a program i can download that i can run while in the boot up stages to test my cpu, mem., video card, etc? i know mem test runs before windows boots, but thats only for memory. a name of the program and a website would be helpful. thanks guys for all your help once again!
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-09-10T19:46:57Z
Matrix the chipset is not on your vid card dude it is on your mobo. The chipset is the north and southbridge chipset that im talking about. In the chipset drivers it updates the ide, gart(for your agpcard) and any other onboard stuff. It never hurts to eleminate one thing that is so simple just download and install. You might want to get rid of your pagefile, defrag then make a new pagefile, maybe something got screwed up in there and i just needs to be cleaned.
entermymatrix03
2005-09-10T23:09:25Z
i know that. i was saying that i've never heard of an upgradable agp slot. thats what i was saying. i didn't format after i installed the card. i got some lockups so i reinstalled windows, and i'm still getting the lockups.

also, could it possible be one of the windows updates that i recently downloaded?
Elsparrow
2005-09-11T04:30:48Z
I downloaded one windows update after I installed windows on this PC and for the first 10 times of letting Windows Update itself it did this one update then Windows failed to boot and needed reinstalling