eNCoRe
  •  eNCoRe
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-08-30T15:07:26Z
I know nothing about the hardware of a computer, i need to learn that before i move but for now i need help wiht this... I need to tweak my compute as much as possible, since i know not what to do here is the misc info:

Processor Information:
Vendor: AuthenticAMD
Speed: 2077 Mhz
1 logical processor
1 physical processor
HyperThreading: Unsupported
RDTSC: Supported
CMOV: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE: Supported
SSE2: Unsupported
3DNOW: Supported

Network Information:
Network Speed: DSL > 256k
IP Address: 24.91.60.XXX

Windows Version:
XP Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
NTFS: Supported

Video Card:
Driver: nv4_disp.dll
Type: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
VendorID: 4318
DeviceID: 496
Version: 6.14.1.4303
RenderMode: Unknown
ScreenSize: 0 pixels
Bit Depth: 0

Memory:
RAM: 447 Mb

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 114454 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 87475 Mb

Like I said I know nothing about hardware so some stuff on the list above you won't need.

I use this computer for gaming, and stuff around that which requires lots of system strength. I also need to change my video card so if anybody look at the pictures i took of my HD's inside and tell me what's up.

And here's is a couple of pics of my stuff:

I really don't know what to do so anything you wanna throw @ me is cool.
Thx
Kronstadt
2005-08-30T15:37:37Z
Nice socks.

Looking at the board, it's undoubtably one of the Asus A7N8X series, so that should prove to be a solid overclocker. Looking at the Asus site it's a A7N8X-VM, as it's the only one with integrated graphics.

The HDD is unmistakably a Seagate 7200.7 'Cuda. Not that it matters.

Heheh, that's the only hardware I can indentify from the photos. If you Google for a download CPU-Z them post a screenshot of your CPU and memory settings then that will be a big help and means I'll be able to see what CPU and DDR that thing is using.

A couple of things to consider first, however: Your PSU is pretty weak, there isn't much in that PC to strain it but it might not take very kindly to overclocking and there's a possibility it might get damaged (I've managed to do the same before with a cheap PSU, but a long time ago). Does the label on it state the values for the 3.3v, 5v and 12v rails (like 3.3v rail at 20a)? What's the manufacturer? Also, the cooling looks pretty terrible. The way the HDD is mounted it completely obstructs the intake airflow. Is there any other way you can mount that thing? Go into the BIOS and take a note of your CPU and case temperatures. If you can run something intensive for a few minutes and take the CPU reading from Windows (you should be able to use Asus Probe for that).

EDIT: NM, I just found something:

http://www.pcper.com/specs.php?p=MB&id=52

"Has integrated GF4MX graphics. DDR400 speeds only when AGP card added. No overclocking options. Supports 400 Barton CPU's."

Go into your BIOS and check to see if there are any FSB settings just to make sure. I don't think it's very likely, however, especially as it doesn't even support 200Mhz FSB without an AGP card.
eNCoRe
  •  eNCoRe
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-08-30T15:58:40Z
Here are the CPU-Z Pics you've asked.

And how do I do this, Go into your BIOS and check to see if there are any FSB settings just to make sure. I don't think it's very likely, however, especially as it doesn't even support 200Mhz FSB without an AGP card, ?
Elsparrow
2005-08-30T16:01:11Z
When the PC is turning on you either hit Delete or F1. You should see a message saying something like "Hit Del to enter BIOS/Setup"
Kronstadt
2005-08-30T16:15:40Z
To be honest, even if it does turn out that that board can overclock, I don't think there's very much you can do with this system. The 2600+ is one of the fastest Thoroughbred core XPs released, so I don't think there would be much overclocking potential in it and what potential there is would be limited by your DDR. I'm guessing that the operating temperatures also probably wouldn't allow ffor any real increases in voltage, either.

What are you using this PC for, mainly? If it's gaming then a graphics card upgrade would be the obvious way to go, as those onboard graphics are pretty terrible, but a big upgrade would be limited by your PSU so something like a 9600Pro might be appropriate. You can probably pick up a 9500Pro real cheap on eBay, which can almost match a 9600Pro. If it's other uses then you'll noticeably benefit from an extra 256 or 512MB of DDR. The CPU is fine, 2600+ is a solid speed and still good enough for most uses. But, being absolutely honest, I would leave off of overclocking that system. Firstly because it's unlikely your motherboard will allow you to, and secondly because the hardware really isn't suited to it.
eNCoRe
  •  eNCoRe
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-08-30T16:30:58Z
I couldn't find that SFB thing but okay I don't think a overclock was going to be needed.
Yea i use this PC for gaming mostly, my gfx card suck yea but I get awesome gfx with it on Call of Duty, and yea i wanted to change the gfx card to ATI Radeon or something but I don't know which one because my GFX is integrated with the GPU (which i heard is pain in the butt) so any help on the gfx part?

By the way:
CPU Temp: 141.5 Fireheinght
CPU FS: 4500 RPM
SFS: 2481 RPM
Kronstadt
2005-08-30T16:39:40Z
Is that temperature reading from the BIOS? If it is, that's something you should really look at pretty soon. Even if it's a load temp then it's a concern. As I mentioned above, your biggest cooling problem is the HDD at the front. You really need some kind of intake airflow in that case.

Some motherboards with onboard graphics don't have AGP ports, especially on Dells and similar PCs. But on that, you shouldn't have much of a problem, it's just a case of disabling the onboard graphics from the BIOS when you install the new card. As I said, a 9500Pro or 9600Pro would both be good choices. An old ti4200 could be an option too. Both the 9500Pro and ti4200 won't cost you very much, but will still be a big step up from the onboard graphics. I wouldn't put anything more powerful in there due to your PSU. Even those cards might present a problem, but there's a good chance you'll be okay as long as it isn't a real cheap unit.
eNCoRe
  •  eNCoRe
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-08-30T18:17:10Z
Okay, is there anything I should lookout for when changding from this nVidia to ATI Radeon 9600Pro or shouldn't I change just upgrade to a better nVidia?
Eric
  •  Eric
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2005-08-30T20:21:26Z
swithcing brands really has no affect on ne thing just make sure u get the newest drivers of the card u get and that u completely remove the old drivers (driver Cleaner)
Ne0rC
2005-08-30T20:30:13Z
Looks EXACTLY like a HP Case my brother has, same fan placement, same Harddrive placement and holders, and same board extension name -LA.