loud
  •  loud
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-08-22T22:41:30Z
what is the difference between... ide, sata, sca, and scsi

im looking to buy a internal on ebay ;;;;;;;;;;with fast speeds.... spomeone help
Sponsor
Kronstadt
2005-08-22T23:07:25Z
SCSI is for server-class systems and is very expensive, so that's out of the question.

IDE is the HDD standard that has been around for years is capable of speeds up to 133Mb/s. Modern drives will very rarely reach those kinds of speeds, so what the format is capable of is not an indication of how fast the drive is. For instances, A drive may come in both SATA and IDE formats. SATA is capable of 150Mb/s, but it doesn't mean it's faster than the IDE version.

SATA is gradually taking over from IDE, but for most drives there isn't much of a difference in speeds. You need to have a SATA controller either on your motherboard or an expansion card to use SATA. SATA2 is capable of 300Mb/s, but again that is no indication of a drive's speed, just what the format is capable of. You need an SATA2 capable SATA controller to use SATA, but it is backwards compatible meaning you can use it in SATA1 mode on any non-compatible board.

SATA of the newer and preferred format but IDE is still nowhere near dead. Manufacturers are still releasing their faster 7200RPM drives in IDE format and perhaps will do for a while to come.

The best drives in each of their classes are:

80-160GB: Seagate 7200.7 or Samsung P80 8MB cache. The Hitachi Deskstar isn't far behind, but can be a little noisey.

200GB+: Maxtor 10 16MB cache or Samsung P120. The P120s are hard to come by, but there isn't much between the two drives.

High speed: Western Digital Raptor 74GB. The 36GB version is slower and isn't worth the trouble. They have small capacities and run pretty hot and are pretty noisey and expensive. Only really recommended for people who are really paranoid about how fast their games load up (ie. 6 seconds instead of 😎.

EDIT: I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by SCA. The only thing I can find on Google is Sexual Compulsives Anonymous and I don't think that's it.