Calcio
  •  Calcio
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-07-24T11:58:15Z
My current LCD monitor is rated around 35ms. I use it a lot for gaming and during my recent research have come to realize that its quite on the slow side. I've read quite a few reviews and have come across this monitor that is within my price range.

Hyundai L90D+

Compared to many others it seems to be the best I've found for price vs. performance.

Now on to the questions.
1) Will I really notice that much of a difference between an 8ms response and a 35 ms response (I do notice quite a bit of what many players refer to as "Ghosting" with my current monitor)
2) I notice a few reviews claiming the color is off but really at this point are people just getting nitpickey? Compared to this 3 year old LCD monitor im using now will pretty much anything be a step up in terms of quality?
3) Also I see many people strongly suggesting to always run LCD's in thier native resolution. (not really a problem for me now because I run everything at the Hyundais' native resolution now.) Down the road though when games become more graphically intense will I see any drop in performance if I have to drop it down to say, 1024x768.

Thanks in advance to any questions answered and any time given to me to help in this decision.
Sponsor
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-07-24T12:12:09Z
" My current LCD monitor is rated around 35ms. I use it a lot for gaming and during my recent research have come to realize that its quite on the slow side. I've read quite a few reviews and have come across this monitor that is within my price range. "

Dude do YOU notice the lag? That's the important thing. If you never noticed the lag yourself and it took an article to tell you it was a slower monitor why bother upgrading? My point is go by your own standards and not someone elses. If you don't notice any problems there's no reason to upgrade.
Calcio
  •  Calcio
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-07-24T12:19:09Z
Well, you know, the funny thing is that since I have read the article I have notice ALOT of it. Before I decided to research how monitors worked(I have a lot of free time on my hands this summer) I wasnt even aware of such a thing, I just thought everyone else along with me had that "blur" across the screen when quick movements were taken. And because I've never really had much anything else to compare it too. . . .. but yeah, now its really starting to bother me so im looking into upgrading. lol.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-07-24T12:32:15Z
Well that's cool then but you see what I was saying right?

The Hyundia monitors are excellent for gamers and are a good choice, but remeber that doesn't necessarily mean it's great for other things. If you use the system for gaming and web browsing then it's great but very few TFTs cater for colour dependant tasks (such as image editing) are a lot less common and TFTs that cater for all are almost non-existant. Old CRTs catered for all but the style consious.
Calcio
  •  Calcio
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-07-24T14:55:57Z
Now that I think about it im considering just going to a CRT. They still seem to be the fastest and the most dead on colour wise, and for a lower price. The only problems with CRT's is that they tend to hurt my eyes after extended use. Hmm, what to do lol.
Elsparrow
2005-07-24T15:01:05Z
I use a 17" Hyundai Perfectly Flat CRT (Its the size of a CRT but the screen is flat not curved). Its native is 85Hz at 1024*768 which is what I use. I run 1024*768 on all my games as well and its fine for me.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-07-24T15:07:23Z
I'm still on a CRT too, a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 17" running at 1152x864 @ 100Hz.

It's true that TFTs are easier on the eye due to the brightness but some aperture grill CRTs are very bright for CRTs.

I do plan on replacing it with a TFT to get a bigger screen area but upgrading to something of similar quality (but bigger) means spending a LOT on a TFT.
Calcio
  •  Calcio
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-07-29T22:41:01Z
Many stores I've visited over the past week dont carry any monitors that have interested me. I do often shop at Newegg but their return policy on LCD screens kinda scares me away from them for this purchase. Can you reccomend any online stores that have a better warranty on their monitors? I've looked at tiger direct also and as far as I can tell they will only cover you the same as the manufacturer (10 or more dead pixels for a 19" Hyundai).

Tiger direct's "guarantee"