mabzerox
2005-07-07T19:23:35Z
Hello:
I have a Chaintech V915P Socket 775 Motherboard and my question is about a Hard Drive.
I'ts ATA and SATA the same? I'm not sure what type of hard drive would support my motherboard.
IDE
The V915P includes built in IDE facilities that supports 2 ATA-33/66/100 IDE ports.
Serial ATA is the next generation ATA specification that provides scalable performance for today and tomorrow. With up to 150MB/s data transfer rate, Serial ATA is faster than current Parallel
Serial ATA RAID
The V915P has built-in ICH6 and supports 4 Serial ATA devices for the highest transfer rates (1.5Gbps burst) with RAID 0/1 solution.

In the user guide says
SATA1-4 (Serial ATA connector)
These Sata connectors (SATA1 - SATA4) supports Serial ATA 150.

I'm not sure if SATA and ATA are the same and what Hard Drive does y motherboard support, a ATA or SATA?
Sponsor
Ramman
2005-07-08T19:08:49Z
At this point in time there is no real difference between IDE and SATA HDDs. The biggest advantage SATA has is it frees up the primary IDE channel for other devices. This will change down the road and SATA drives will have faster transfer rates.
mabzerox
2005-07-08T20:08:35Z
Hello again:
Thanks for the information. So i can get a SATA HDD for my motherboard and it will support it?
thank you