Venom
  •  Venom
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-06-28T14:58:28Z
Here is an open leter from the President/CEO of AMD with a link to the full 48 page complaint. The 48 page document has over 80 cases of Intel strong arming companies to stop selling AMD, not adopt AMD's new products, stop shipment of their server CPUs so that the company has no choice but to listen to Intel, amongs other things.

For those that don't know, Intel recently lost an antitrust case in Japan and the European Council is now opening up an antitrust case on Intel. AMD is stepping up to the plate and filing their own complaint in the US Federal District Court.

What are your thoughts on this? I personally cannot wait till this is settled and AMD can fully compete against Intel when they win, and I do believe they will!
FragUPlenty
2005-06-28T15:04:51Z
wow looks like intels in trouble, I always use AMD, intel must be afraid of something
boa
  •  boa
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
2005-06-28T19:59:03Z
If Intel is found guilty then its us consumers who are winning. Stupid ogopolistic practices keep prices higher for us and have their competitor continously on the ropes. It should always be an even playing field, but Intel never seems to get a red or yellow card untill now finnally.
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 51% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-06-28T20:57:43Z
Woot Woot AMD might just have a chance to make some money to expand their busness.
Laggerzero
2005-06-28T23:44:01Z
I can't wait for the open source community and all the other small companies to rise up against Microsoft In one giant final showdown. That will be the day
Samwise
2005-06-29T13:58:25Z
These are just some of the things Intel did:

-Forcing major customers to accept exclusive deals,
-Withholding rebates and marketing subsidies as a means of punishing customers who buy more than prescribed quantities of processors from AMD,
-Threatening retaliation against customers doing business with AMD
-Establishing quotas keeping retailers from selling the computers they want, and
-Forcing PC makers to boycott AMD product launches.

3rd one surprises me.
x7z
  •  x7z
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
2005-06-29T18:12:06Z
This is exciting for AMD! I can't wait for Intel to go down!
SenorToast
2005-06-29T19:44:39Z
Hmm... if Intel were to go down, AMD will be the top dog of CPUs, meaning they can charge whatever they want... I sure hope they don't go that far.

Of course, that's not giong to happen. AMD will just become even more neck and neck with Intel saleswise.
Dev
  •  Dev
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
2005-06-30T06:53:06Z
true this has big implications for the cpu industry.the gap between amd and intel will close.intel will loose credibility.
Intel has always had its bully image but this confirms it.i think deals between apple and intel could be slightly affected.i agree with venom that amd will win.could this possibly mean dell could sell amd,maybe in their xps systems which are for gaming.
devilsoul
2005-06-30T21:08:32Z
i hope this can be true in near future, ... i used amd proce for all my life. and i use an intel at work
and i am disapointed, it have a performance i dont like. it screw up some times. and it dont fill the price my company paid.

:/ nevermind, this maybe can help amd the mayor proc. manufacturer

at home
Amd athlon xp 3200+ (2.2 Ghz)* new one thanks jordan for the tip ( not refurbish, really hard to find )
Box
1 gb corsair pc3200 (400 Fsb)
k7n2 delta ilsr ( changed northbridge heatsink and fan --- works pretty cooled now
seagate barracuda sata (120 GB performance )
DVD LG+Ram+-Rw 8x
Samsung cdrw 24x ----- old one but it rocks

at work
intel p4 c 3.2 Ghz (1 mb ) (800 Mhz )
intel motherboard dont remember wich chipset maybe 865p
1 GB ram Kingston value pc3200
DVD-rom Sony
Samsung cdwriter
i dont check for all sistems specs, bacause i am not really interest.
Laggerzero
2005-07-03T19:29:25Z
Intel is now being sued from all sides. AMD is sueing them in Japan and a few smaller businesses here in the US are also sueing intel for antitrust.

The tides are truely changing. Time to sit back at watch the show.
Calcio
2005-07-03T23:23:24Z
quote:

Originally posted by: SenorToast
Hmm... if Intel were to go down, AMD will be the top dog of CPUs, meaning they can charge whatever they want... I sure hope they don't go that far.

Of course, that's not giong to happen. AMD will just become even more neck and neck with Intel saleswise.

I agree, and hope it does turn out that each company stays neck and neck. If either AMD or Intel gains the upper hand then us the consumer will be the one that loses.
Laggerzero
2005-07-04T16:48:20Z
I'm surprised that we haven't had any Intel vs AMD flame wars because of this (and I hope that we don't!). I remember when the prescotts came out the mood in the processor section got as hot as the prescotts got.
Ramman
2005-07-04T17:47:49Z
quote:

Originally posted by: Laggerzero
Intel is now being sued from all sides. AMD is sueing them in Japan and a few smaller businesses here in the US are also sueing intel for antitrust.

The tides are truely changing. Time to sit back at watch the show.

I agree 100%, this is going to really ugly before it gets over. I just hope AMD has all their "t's" crossed and "i's" dotted. If not, they could look really foolish.
Laggerzero
2005-07-05T11:23:14Z
another interesting thing is that amd is issuing subpoenas to some companies and hardware review and news sites. I wonder if Tomshardware will be hit by this.