Ben308
  •  Ben308
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-06-24T03:27:01Z
I had a recent upgrade and I have a pretty nice system now; AMD64 3500 Venice, 1gb Corsair 3200XL RAM, Gigabyte GA-K8NS ULTRA-939 mobo, Antec 550W TruePower 2.0, Gigabyte GV-N66T128VP GEF6600GT, all encased in a shiny black Coolermaster Wavemaster. All up it cost about AUD$1800, which is around USD$1350.

My problem is the fans, they still make too much noise to be left on overnight. My comp is about 2m from my bed, so its hum is very noticeable. The Wavemaster comes with 3 stock fans, and its the rear exhaust fan that makes the most noise. I've already added extra foam insulation between the fan and points of contact with the case, and it helped reduce noise by about 20%, but is there a software solution?

Has anyone with a Gigabyte 939 mobo found a good fan speed controller program that works with WinXP SP2? Recommendations anyone?
Sponsor
Kronstadt
2005-06-24T03:43:40Z
You should be able to control the CPU as well as a couple of case fan speeds from your motherboard, if it supports it. If so, you should be able to control them from the BIOS or whatever monitoring program Gigabyte bundle with their motherboards. Other than that, buy a fan controller.
mentaldisorder
2005-06-26T16:26:29Z
yeah a fan controller would be a good one...some are super expensive and some arent...all narrows down to what you prefer and what features each has
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-06-26T16:32:22Z
You have a noisy PSU and probabaly HD(s) too. If the CPU HS/Fan is the stock solution then it's not exactly quiet either. Chipset fan? It's a hot running graphics card too.

You'd have to slow down the fans or change them completely. You can de-couple the HDs (susspend them with ellastic). You could also swap the CPU fan/HS. Once you quieten one thing you'll notice something else, they all make noise and it all adds up.

EDIT: Oh and IF the fans are connected to the Motherboard directly and not the PSU they can be controlled by Speedfan but a hardware solution is always better.
mentaldisorder
2005-06-27T00:22:23Z
^ ...aka super fancy way
Ben308
  •  Ben308
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-06-28T09:36:59Z
I'm sure its the rear exhaust fan because the 2 front case fans are ultra low rpm, cpu fan is auto adjusting (and very quiet anyway because A64 Venice runs pretty cool), psu fan is dual ball bearing and very low rpm as well, and my video card uses 'dual pipe' heatsink cooling (aka no fan!).

So I'm on the market for a good 5.25" drive bay fan controller. I had a look at the Hardcano 13 but there are some issues with batteries resetting. Anyone using a good controller like to make a recommendation? Please keep in mind my case is a Wavemaster (with door), so protruding knobs (like volume or fanspeed) will get in the way.
Kronstadt
2005-06-28T09:57:40Z
I had the same problem with knobs when it came to fitting a controller to my rig. I'm using a Coolermaster Aerogate2, which is pretty decent. It has a tiny useless 40mm intake fan, four thermal probes and fan control for three three pin fans (or up to six if you get some splitters). That and some colourful LED crap. I tried a Hardcano (11 I think, the one with four knobs) and it didn't like my case and is currently sitting on my second rig.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-06-28T10:07:15Z
I'm aware the graphics card has no cooler, hence why I said hot running and you have to make sure it has good airflow.

The easiest way to make sure it's the rear fans is simply to disconnect it and listen for the difference.

The best fan controller out there is the Akasa AK-FC-03 which monitors temps and controlls 4 fans (I use this). It ain't cheap though, If this is just for one fan and it will always be set to the one speed then get a Zalman fanmate which is much cheaper and smaller.