xcamx
  •  xcamx
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-06-16T07:52:56Z
Hi everyone,

The names Cam and im from down under mates lol, i have been looking around this forum for the past few weeks and realised how good it is and decided to join.
I just started a new job as a IT technical officer for a IT wholesaler and i dont know too much so im doing a lot of research and reading up a lot which brings me here.
i have also decided to build a computer from scratch in the next few weeks so expect a few posts and i thank u all heaps in advance for any help u can give
Sponsor
nelsoncp21
2005-06-16T07:57:59Z
welcome, i haven't been on here that long either but i can't say enough good things so good luck on your research and ask away.
HotshotUK
2005-06-16T08:09:04Z
Cool, Im sure you'll enjoy ur stay. What sort of spec PC are you looking at building?
xcamx
  •  xcamx
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-06-16T09:41:43Z
i'm looking at building a budget computer mainly for gaming and internet, but ofcourse it still needs to have some balls as i want it to run any game i throw at it.

ABIT AS8 Intel 865 P4 Motherboard i'm thinking with probably intel p4 550 3.4ghz cpu, kingston ddr 1gb ram, benq 19" 12ms lcd, nvidia geeforce 6800 GT, pioneer dvd 109BK drive, Seagate 240GB Hard Drive, Linksys wagv2 router/modem, plus a few other accesories
i had a hard time deciding over the amd or p4 and also ddr2 vs ddr, i chose ddr simply because of the lower latency times, and p4 because i want a little more reliablity and slightly longer life and i think the p4 is capable of everything i want to do, but dont get offended guys i still think the amd is possibly better in many aspects lol
i can get most of the stuff from work for cost price so its still kinda budget lol
HotshotUK
2005-06-16T10:05:14Z
People on here will soon be telling you that for a budet gaming rig, AMD is the way forward
Ramman
2005-06-16T18:41:40Z
Welcome to to the boards Cam. I hope you like your stay. Intel does have it's strong points. Where else can you fry an egg and surf the web at the same time .
FragUPlenty
2005-06-16T18:47:02Z
Welcome to the forums bro
FragUPlenty
2005-06-16T18:47:46Z
What is your price range?
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-06-16T18:50:22Z
xcamx
  •  xcamx
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-06-17T12:04:46Z
Thanks for all the advice guys its much appreciated, I never speculated my price range as im from australia and i take it you guys are mainly from usa?
i'm looking at spending at about 2g's aus dollars, thats for everything starting from scratch

Talking to the teckies at work it's hard to make a decision over amd and p4 but opinions seem to be about 50/50
No disrespect to u guys i'm sure you all know your stuff but is amd really all that much better????
please no biased opinions lol
thanks guys
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-06-17T12:16:52Z
For gaming AMD is the No1 choice right now, no contest. I build computers for people and I can't afford to be biased, I don't have any kind of loyalty to any company. Also you'll find the Zthelon 64s are great value. For the Video editor/encoder I'll always recommend a P4 system if that makes you feel any better about my AMD recommendation.

You'll probabaly find a lot of the techies at work arn't enthusiasts like us. Most know what they have to but don't keep up to date on the latest CPUs and graphics cards for gaming as it doesn't often concern them. Go to the Hothardware.com home page and look at reviews of the Athlon 64 Venice cores vs the P4s in gaming benchmarks.
xcamx
  •  xcamx
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-06-19T22:29:37Z
After much thought and research you guys will be glad to hear i have decided to go with the 3500+ 939
I have purchased most of the stuff i need, just need to get the cpu and mobo.

Can gou guys recomend some mobo's, i want SLI capabilities so i can run twin 6800 gt's in the future when they are sort of average cards i tihnk that way it will work out slightly cheaper as far us upgrading grpahics goes.
i want something affordable but at the same time half decent ??????

How about the Asus A8N-SLI, nFORCE4, 2 x PCIE, 2 x GLan, Sata
i'm purchasing tyhe mobo from - ITSUPERMARKET.COM.AU -
if u guys can be stuffed at looking at their list lol
Thanks guys its more than appreciated and yes im a nuiscance lol
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-06-19T22:46:58Z
The Asus A8N-SLi is a great board and is one of the cheaper SLI boards out there.