Scribs
  •  Scribs
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-06-08T17:42:39Z
Has anyone actually used one of these (or the 80mm one)? Im looking for a cheap way to water cool my cpu and Im thinking it might be an easy way to do it... only downside i can see is that its not expandable, but other then that ive seen some good reviews. Anyone have some experience with it themselves? Thanks

Scribs
Sponsor
MikeL_HH
2005-06-08T22:23:48Z
I do not have any experience with the Cooler Master R120 Mini, but I have built, installed, and servcied multiple watercooling set-ups, from cheapo kits to dual processor, six waterblock, dual pump, bong cooled custom set-ups.

Since I do not have any person experience with the R120, I can only tell you what I know from experience and the impression that I got from reading reviews. From the benchmarks I've seen, the R120 is a decent cooler that performs a tad bit better than a stock cooler but at considerably less noise. It also outperforms many quiet air cooling solutions like the Zalman 7700. From all accounts, the R120 is well built and easy to install. The price is pretty good too. If you don't intend on OC'ing then it makes for a pretty good cooler.
Scribs
  •  Scribs
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-06-08T22:34:04Z
Theres the nail in the coffin right there, as I plan on OCing... I wish I could see a comparison between the R120 and XP-120 with a decent 120mm fan, because in the end they are just about the same price... I would have expected a cheapish watercooling setup might still beat or match the xp-120, but maybe im wrong...

On a slightly different note, any suggestion on how much it would run me to make a reasonable quality custom watercooling setup that is just reservoir, pump, rad, and a block for the cpu (no gpu or anything else, although the ability to add that in the future would be nice). If I can get something decent and expandable for almost the same maybe thats the better idea
MikeL_HH
2005-06-08T22:58:36Z
You could probably slap together a decent set-up for around $100USD. Lower if you shop carefully. The biggest money saver will probably be the radiator. They really rape you when it comes to radiators, but the best radiators are just refitted and painted automobile heatercores. They cost around $100USD alone. You can get a heatercore new for around $15USD. $0-$5 if you get one from a junk yard. The 1986 Chevy Chevette heatercore is popular because its just a tad bigger than a 120mm fan and its cheap. To get all the performance from a heatercore, you will need to buy/build a fan shroud for it. For the rest of the parts, stick to mid-range products except for the pump. Always buy a good pump. Some good and proven brands are Eheim, Hydor and DangerDen.
Scribs
  •  Scribs
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-06-08T23:13:55Z
thanks a bunch for the tips. Although I dont know if Ill be refitting myself a Chevette heatercore I am optimistic I can build my own setup for a reasonable price and its now something to think about
MikeL_HH
2005-06-08T23:39:34Z
quote:

Originally posted by: Scribs
thanks a bunch for the tips. Although I dont know if Ill be refitting myself a Chevette heatercore I am optimistic I can build my own setup for a reasonable price and its now something to think about

It doesn't take much to make a heatercore work in a watercooling set-up. If you want, you could even get away without making any modifications to the heatercore at all. The Chevette heatercore comes with one 1/2" fitting and one 3/4" fitting. You can force a standard, made for watercooling, 1/2" tube onto the 3/4" fitting if you heat it first in boiling water.

However, most people install new fittings. Some automobile shops can install new fittings for you.
Scribs
  •  Scribs
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-06-08T23:56:45Z
and then I imagine I just need to rig something to hold a fan to the heatercore and all of a sudden ive got a watercooling radiator. And this actually works quite well eh? Im almost tempted just to see how it works out...
By fan shroud what exactly did you mean? Some sort of casing so that all the air the fan is drawing has to pass through the radiator?
Scribs
  •  Scribs
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-06-09T19:14:21Z
Hey have you (or anyone else) heard of the Via Aqua 1300? I realize I want a good quality pump, but it seems to be outdoing a few of the more well known pumps in some tests Ive seen so Im wondering if anyone has used it before
MikeL_HH
2005-06-09T20:51:20Z
I do not personally own one, but I hear good things about it. If you can find it for a better price than a Hydor or a DangerDen pump, it may be worth your investment. Currently, DangerDen makes the "best" pumps for watercooling. I say "best" because its pretty close and debatable. Eheim has the benefit of a long history of quality and performance (not just with comps, but also in the aquarium community). Hydor is relatively unknown except in serious watercooling circles, but the Hydor L30 has gained somewhat of a reputation for performance. Eheim and DangerDen are both rather pricey so they may not be your top choice, although you can't really go wrong with any of their products.