Nocontact
2005-05-28T02:59:14Z
My friend is having an issue with a new Compaq laptop that he has. I don't know all the specs but it's running WinXP and it's relatively new.
The issue is that the system tray clock doesn't keep time. It resets or it just loses time or acts crazy. There don't seem to be any other performance issues or problems, just this clock. Any ideas what it could be?
I know how to sync it but I'd rather know what the problem was.
Thanks.
Sponsor
Samwise
2005-05-28T07:25:44Z
Hmmm... Not sure if laptops have a CMOS battery but it could be faulty.
Dev
  •  Dev
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2005-05-28T08:20:38Z
^agree im sure laptops do have a battery(cmos) (it just makes sense).sorry i wouldnt be able to help you replacing it.my knowledge extends only so far(which isnt very far).check compaqs webby or the manuel.
Nocontact
2005-05-28T14:14:18Z
I was thinking the same thing but how could a battery on such a new machine die so quickly?
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-05-28T14:42:26Z
If the laptop isnt connected to the internet for quite a while, then yeah those type of problems can occur. If it is contantly loosing time and reseting, then i would take it back to the manufacurer and let them fix it. If you try to get to the cmos battery then you could possible void your warranty. If im not mistaken i think you have to open up where the memory is put in and there should be a battery in there but im not sure.
Nocontact
2005-05-28T15:37:55Z
That is the concern. Anyone know if there's a way to check the cmos battery level?
Thanks for the help.
Dev
  •  Dev
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2005-05-29T16:31:13Z
well i doubt there is a tool or program which lets you see your battery level(unless its in bios)coz the battery either works or doesnt.dragos right just take it back.that being the easiest and wisest option.
Nocontact
2005-06-24T19:28:57Z
Well, after some testing it seems the clock does keep proper time when the laptop is plugged in. Now if the battery is what is responsible for window's system tray clock then I guess we can conclude that the battery is at fault. Correct?
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-06-25T00:29:23Z
Well there are laptops at work that have dead batteries in them and they keep time just fine. Everything points to the cmos battery in this case, getting the battery is easy, but finding where it is is going to be the hard part. With laptops it is always easyer to take it to a shop and let them work on it, cause if they screw something up then your freind can get them to pay to get it fixed right, but if you mess it up then you will have to fork over the cash to fix it. Plus sometimes you can void teh warranty by opening the laptop to do more than just install memory.
Nocontact
2005-06-25T00:42:48Z
I wasn't thinking of opening it, I don't trust myself with a laptop, I was just wondering if this makes sense for a solution given the circumstances. If so it's still under warranty so we can tell them what it is that needs fixing.
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-06-25T13:44:17Z
Yes that is what we have traced it to unless they know of anthing else that can cause your problem.
Nocontact
2005-06-25T13:52:04Z
Thanks, I'll go ahead and let him know to get it replaced.