Leedslad
  •  Leedslad
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-05-16T17:33:43Z
Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help with an issue i'm having.

I have 3 x PC's, 1 downstairs and one in both my kids bedrooms. My main PC is connected to the internet permanently through NTL Broadband (2gb service). This is a Uk Cable Modem supplier.

Anyway, I want to be able to load the Sims (various versions of the Sims - PC Games) on my main PC downstairs and allow the kids to log in to my shared drive (currently D - a partition) and play the games using my resourses. My questions are these:

1) Can this be done - especailly with the Sims?
2) If it can be done, can you please advise how as I cannot get VPN to connct whatever I try (i've deleted any old connections I made as they wouldn't connct)
3) Is this the easiest way to do it or can I just share the "D" drive with the game on it? If I do this, the other PC's cannot see my connection in workgroups - however I see theirs......
4) Help please - i'm totally lost..... dya think it'd be easier to just pay someone to come and do this?

Thanks
-Damo-
2005-05-16T19:19:59Z
Dont pay someone to do it for you, a little google searching and help from people here would cost u alot less and more than likely would do a better job.

Ive tried playing the Sims 2 through a network and it didnt work.

None of my PC's ever see each other in workgroups lmfao... just do \\\\"computer name" in the address bar to access it.

Damo.
Ramman
2005-05-16T19:22:23Z
The easiest way is to set up a home network. Wireless is by far easier than running Cat5 cable in your house. Netgear makes a pretty good wireless router and wireless NIC cards at good prices. Just set up file sharing when you set up your network. VPN tunnels can be a pain set up and keep running.
Leedslad
  •  Leedslad
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-05-17T04:11:46Z
Damo - What I mean is that when I click on my Networks it should show the PC's linked, i.e. PC1, PC2 & PC3. It only see's my PC - the main one (Host)

Where do you mean type ||computername? If the address bar on Explorer - well again it doesn't see it.

Ramman - I already use a Belkin set up, have the router with the main PC & the other two use the 54g cards.

So generally the sims won't work would you say? I am looking to run the sims 2 - and the sims hot dates & expansion packs etc etc?

Thanks guys!
-Damo-
2005-05-18T10:50:28Z
not ||computer, do \\\\computer

Or in Explorer, tools, map network drive. Once u've set a share u can then go there n put the path of the share in starting with \\\\computer

eg.. \\\\computer\\my documents\\stuff

That then will put the network drive into My Computer so u can access it.

Some games wont play through a network cos they require files they put in ur documents n settings or even registry keys. the first time u run games some create ini's in ur documents n so on.

Some games work though like vice city, some dont like battle for middle earth, that seems to timeout when im playing it with a friend on my network if i pay it form the other computer.