shawn61174
2005-05-10T12:23:51Z
I am putting together a dream system for video editing/gaming it will have 2X512mb video cards in SLI, AMD fx-55, Asus board, nforce4 chipset, 510w with cooling, 74gb raptor and I think the 300mb diamondmax 10 SATA with 16mb cache(I'd like to do a RAID 0 of the 2 storage drives for pulling off video files - is that possible). I am looking into getting the fastest RAM and saw the OCZ platinum series is highly regarded. What is the best/fastest that would work with my system is voltage a concern here? I want to use 1024 mb stick x2 or even 4. Thanks.
Sponsor
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-05-10T12:36:08Z
Fast RAM isn't really your biggest concern when it comes to video editing, just as long as their plenty of it. You could save a lot of money that way.

Why not get a multi CPU system or even a new dual-core CPU. You seem to have the money and it would be a much better option if the programs you use utalise multi CPUs.

I'd just go for 1 graphics card and upgrade to a newer one when the next gen cards come out. I feel SLI is a bit pointless when a single 6800 Ultra or X850XT PE will run all the games now with great frame rates and all effects on.

Be more specific about the PSU. Make and model?
Scribs
2005-05-10T12:40:01Z
I cant really speak on the memory from personal experience, but Ive only heard good things about OCZ. As for the raid question goes, im pretty sure if you used raid 0 with those two drives you would end up only having about 150 gig of space (you are limited by the space of the smaller drive), and Im not positive but I dont think you would get as much benefit from the extra speed of the raptor either. Might be in your better interest to maybe get two diamond max's, or two raptors, or just go without raid and have one of each. From what I hear the diamondmax 10's are pretty fast to begin with, although the raptor is of course a good deal faster...

Also, the FX-55 is of course a good chip, but if you are doing video editing I think the dual core AMDs have been showing a good deal of improvement in that respect over the single cores, and if you are going for a FX-55 you probably could get something about the same price that would be much better for video editing, if i were you i might check out the benchmarks and think about it. You would of course see a little drop in gameplay, but I think with those video cards you are going to have to be pretty picky to notice any sort of change from the FX-55 to the dual core.

Hope some of this helps
Scribs
shawn61174
2005-05-10T13:49:03Z
Thanks, I might get 4 gig of RAM, but I am trying to push this system for gaming and editing and really I am not sure about which OCZ RAM would work of the platinums. Not sure if some only work with an Intel based and some with AMD. And also the voltage concerns.

As far as the RAID configuration I would work, but you're probably right. My first inclination was to go with raptor for my system drive and the 300gb diamondmax 10 for data, I am a little worried about once I get into High-def stuff I might start pushing even that, that's why I was going to do RAID (and I know about the risk of it and the nominal diff. in performance, but still 20% for i/o will make a difference pulling off video). Of course I could always add a seperate external HDD easily.

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 510 Express
Processor: AMD fx-55
Motherboard: nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard PCI Express
Memory: ? (extra low-latency 1024mb sticks) x2 or 4
Graphics Processor: Dual NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra PCI Express 512MB DDR3 with SLI
System Drive: 74 gb raptor 10k
Storage Drive: 300mb S-ATA Diamondmax 10 16mb cache
Optical Drive One: Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive with Software DVD Decoder
Optical Drive Two: NEC ND-3520 16x Dual Layer DVDR/W Drive
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-05-10T13:54:06Z
A Raptor for your main drives & 2xMaxtor 10s is a good choice. But if your work is important to you I wouldn't RAID them.

All I'm going to do is second what I said earlier. Look into dual CPUs or at least dual-cores and SLI is a bit of a waste when you consider how close the next gen cards are.
Elsparrow
2005-05-10T13:55:05Z
You can't raid a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 and a Raptor. To do a raid you need IDENTICAL hard drives. Thus u need 2 raptors or 2 maxtors.
shawn61174
2005-05-10T15:30:47Z
I know the two drives have to be identical (or at least will default to the size of the smallest), I wanted to do (2) diamondmax 10's (32mb cache in a striped RAID = 600gb storage) for my my storage drive and (1) raptor for the system drive, I just wasn't sure if the RAID has to include the the system drive.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-05-10T15:36:33Z
Yeah I thought it was pretty obvious what you meant. It was clear you wanted to use the Raptor as the system drive and Maxtor for storage.
Scribs
2005-05-10T16:48:50Z
If you are really trying to get a main disc with a lot of speed you could even do Raided Raptors and then one DiamondMax 10 as the storage, but then you do lose out on about 225 gig of space
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-05-11T13:22:20Z
Well since no one has answered your memory question, i guess i will. The OCZ 3200 platnium rev 2 seem to be the best for overclocking and really tight timings. If you dont overclock, then they are still good, but you need to decide if you are going to overclock. If yes then get the platnium rev 2, if not, look for some OCZ that is cheaper and has tight timeings like the platnium rev 2. The platnium rev 2 runs $189 at newegg right now.
shawn61174
2005-05-11T15:45:37Z
Thanks, I do want 1 gig sticks and no I am not going to overclock...so which one would be the fastest timings/latency for my system (amd)
pixellate
2005-05-11T17:10:58Z
Gskill may be worth a look.
boa
  •  boa
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2005-05-17T08:57:17Z
quote:

I am putting together a dream system for video editing/gaming it will have 2X512mb video cards in SLI, AMD fx-55, Asus board, nforce4 chipset, 510w with cooling, 74gb raptor and I think the 300mb diamondmax 10 SATA with 16mb cache(I'd like to do a RAID 0 of the 2 storage drives for pulling off video files - is that possible). I am looking into getting the fastest RAM and saw the OCZ platinum series is highly regarded. What is the best/fastest that would work with my system is voltage a concern here? I want to use 1024 mb stick x2 or even 4. Thanks.

Tightest timings would be 2-2-2-6 but the fastest speced for 1GB modules are 2-3-2-6.

Teh OCZ for $190 a stick

Teh Patriot for $150 a stick

Three OCZ sticks cost about the same as four PDP sticks... they both great RAM.

Is your main thing video editing

or is your main thing gaming?
shawn61174
2005-05-25T10:29:49Z
I do a lot of both, hence my desire to push a high-end system. I have a system on the way the will have dual-512 nvidia ultras, 4000+ (though I will drop in a dual core when those hit), raptors, nforce 4. I was going to just do 512x4 for the RAM XMS...though I'd like my system to be high-end for 3 years at least, I might want 4gb RAM, especially as 64bit software/dual-core stuff really takes advantage of the hardware over the next year forward. thanks
nelsoncp21
2005-05-26T18:51:05Z
you should check out these benchmarks in this review if you haven't already.

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=686&cid=1