thelastmccabe
2005-04-18T00:23:30Z
Ok, I've been doing a lot of research on lots of computer stuff over the last week because I want to build my own system mainly for games. A few things are still really confusing...which leads to my question: I am planning to go amd and get an sli motherboard, possibly asus a8n-sli, we'll see. I would also like to choose a motherboard so that I can use the dual-core processors in the future if I decide to upgrade. I guess this may end up being a moot point if I decide I need to have ddr2 ram in the future because i'll have to get a new motherboard anyway, but lets just ignore that for a second. AMD says their dual-core processors are going to work on socket 940 and can go right into exising units. The A8n-sli, and most of the newer AMD cpus and chipsets that go with them seem to be socket 939. So, does this mean the dual-core processors will not work on socket 939 motherboards? I'm really confused by this because I thought socket 940 was the older AMD standard and they've shifted to 939. So why make the dual-core processor for 940? So what is the relationship between 939 and 940 anyway? Ok thanks a lot to anyone who replies...also if there are 1 or 2 really good websites for learning about this stuff, I'd appreciate it if people posted those...this one is good, and I've found a couple others, but it can't hurt to know more. Ok im going to go play world of warcraft.
Sponsor
Prescottee
2005-04-18T02:18:05Z
ni ya jiu shi yi ge shabi
Ne0rC
2005-04-18T02:20:53Z
The 939s are the desktop type, the 940 is server stuff, so the dual-cores will probly be initially Server stuff?
Shrad
2005-04-18T12:31:27Z
Yep, the dual core opteron's will be released first.