Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2005-04-15T14:41:46Z
I know that in some reviews done by Maximum PC they dislike steel cases. I want to know what the diff between the two, and if there is adequate cooling supplied does it really matter if i have a steel or aluminium case?

Im looking for a case for my new rig. I dont want to spend more than $60 for it, and it needs to have good air flow. I plan on overclocking my new rig, so i need to keep all of my components cool. This is the case i have been looking at Case. It was at newegg until they sold out of it, so if they get it back in i will get it. I think newegg had this thing priced about $40.
Sponsor
Elsparrow
2005-04-15T14:59:13Z
Aluminium has better heat properties in that it transfers heat effectivly. Thats why so many heatsinks are aluminium

Steel is less effective at heat transfer so steel cases will generally be a few *c hotter than Aluminium.
HotshotUK
2005-04-15T15:20:08Z
alluminium is lighter too.
MikeL_HH
2005-04-15T17:55:22Z
If you took a steel case and an identical aluminum case, with the same components installed and the exact same cooling set-up, you wouldn't see that much of a difference in temps. You wouldn't see more than ~2C difference between the two. The main advantage of aluminum cases is the huge weight savings, but this isn't important unless you travel with your computer a lot. Steel cases have the advantage of much lower cost. Unless you specifically need a lighter case, I wouldn't care about the material your case is made out of too much. If your worried about cooling, fan placement is much more important than case material.

I glanced over the case you linked and I noticed that there is light escaping through tiny slits all over it, which is terrible for airflow. The fan in the side-panel isn't placed in a particularly good spot either. Idealy, it should be slightly to the top-rear of the case (over the CPU), rather than the middle. I don't particularly like the style of case either, but its none of my business what style of case you get.
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
2005-04-15T17:59:22Z
Thanks for the reply guys. Thanks LC that explains alot. So what do you guys think of the case i chose?

http://www.pccase.com/830/830.htm

It is the black one.
MikeL_HH
2005-04-15T18:03:07Z
quote:

Originally posted by: Drago
So what do you guys think of the case i chose?

I edited my original reply when you posted, heh. Overall, I thought the case was average. I doubt it was designed with functionality as the first priority, although it should do fine and the price is certainly right. For cheaper solutions, I personally prefer Maxtop cases. They are usually well designed and cheap, although not as flashy. Last time I checked, newegg carried a huge selection.
Drago
  •  Drago
  • 50.8% (Neutral)
2005-04-15T23:02:29Z
Well newegg got some more of my case in stock so ill give you the link.

Case

The reviews for it are nice and from what i can see those places wher light comes out is actually clear plastic reflecting light. if you look at the pics newegg gives you there is clear plastic on the front of teh case and that makes it look like light is excaping in the first link. Well i prefer the fan over that far so it cools the memory and gives the cpu a bit more air, since the fans blow more air sideways.

Thanks for the help guys.