ibex333
  •  ibex333
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-03-13T20:07:33Z
Is it realistic to buy a good drive that can read and burn both cd's and DVD's at descent speeds for under $80 USD?? I need one that supports ALL//MOST formats and burn modes that are avalable today, because I do a lot of CD burning under different circumstances. All this time I had a LITE-ON CD-RW drive and it was perfect, but I need to upgrade to a drive that can burn DVDs as well. I cant find any DVDRW drives from LITE-On, and I dont know any other good brands except Plextor. Please reccomend a good brand/model , and site to buy from.
Sponsor
maxime29
2005-03-13T21:54:09Z
NewEgg.com ZipZoomFly.com or ChiefValue.com offer some of the best prices.

Lite-On does make a DVD burner. So does NEC, LG, Sony, and Plextor. Last I recall, the NEC, LG, and Lite-On were around $50-60. All of these are very reliable drives.
Ne0rC
2005-03-13T22:15:05Z
I'd go with the NEC 3550A.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-03-13T22:56:54Z
LG supports DVD-RAM which is useful for backups.
ibex333
  •  ibex333
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-03-14T11:21:03Z
Ok. I found a good selection of burners on Newegg
I noticed that unlike LITE-ON, NEC, and LG, whose burners have ATAPI / E-IDE interface, Plextor actually makes drives with SATA interface. How big of a performance difference is this?
Also Liteon drives offer features like SMART-BURN, SMART-X, VAS system, and Buffer Underrun Protection. (neccesary for backing up game CDs so I dont have to use originals)
LG, NEC and Plextor have none of these features except buffer underrun on very few models. Mabe I'm not noticing something? I'm leaning toward this LG drive:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-136-047&depa=1 because of the price and many supported DVD formats. However it doesnt have buffer underun. Does anyone know/have a drive that actually has buffer underun and supports most DVD burning formats?

PS: Ne0rC, the NEC 3550A doesnt seem to be for sale in US. I searched for it on froogle, newegg, and many other places... Besides, NEC drives dont seem to have all bells and whistles for CD-RW writing that LITE-ON offers.
maxime29
2005-03-14T11:34:59Z
All of those drives have close to those features. I know the Plextor has similar things like the Lite-On but called by a different name.

The LG does have buffer under run as it says on the LG specs website.
ibex333
  •  ibex333
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-03-14T13:12:23Z
Yes.. You are right. I now see that it does. I cannot afford plextor with similar features. It's twice as expencive.
I was thinking of getting the Liteon SOHW - 1673S, but I noticed that is has no DVD-RAM support

Then I decided to get the LG GSA-4163BI (has DVD-RAM support) + buffer underun. One last thing. Does anyone know if it can write in RAW DAO, SAO, etc. modes??? Does it have overburn? Bad sector skip? I can't find that kind of info even on LG's site! They just dont provide it...
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-03-14T15:06:09Z
I was about to suggest not buying SATA but it looks like you didn't anyway. They are expensive, don't offer any advantages other than thinner cable and they work with very few Motherboards.
ibex333
  •  ibex333
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-03-14T18:00:10Z
Well, I didnt buy anything yet, but thanx for the info Jordan. I'll probably end up buying that LG. I was just hoping that someone knows if LG drives have all the nice ripping features of LITE-ON.
Also, I'm pretty sure this drive is compatible with my DFI Lanparty Ultra-D. Am I right? (I need the OK on this from you guys)
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-03-14T19:36:45Z
Yes it's compatibe with any Mobo with IDE ports.