Cereal
  •  Cereal
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-03-11T21:25:17Z
ok im new here...so first of, hello. ok well i have a older laptop and i turned it on and i get a message that says invalid disk, press any key to continue. when i do it gives the error again. i formatted it so there shouldnt be anything on it. is there a way that i can get everything back on it and up and running again? i just need some help with this thing. its really starting to piss me off.
Sponsor
Cereal
  •  Cereal
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-03-11T23:55:08Z
ok well i used fdisk and i formatted it again. now it says there is in cd rom. i dont have a driver for it and i have to clue what to do. does anyone know where i can find a driver for this?
maxime29
2005-03-12T00:14:35Z
What is the program or device again? Maybe try Google'ing it.
Cereal
  •  Cereal
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-03-12T08:39:53Z
its a 99' compaq prosignia 150 cd-rom. i tried that already and still havnt found anything that works.
Ne0rC
2005-03-12T15:07:41Z
Sometimes hardddrives just...die. Its a pretty old laptop, so I'd expect it.

Best bet would be replace it, and install your OS again.
Cereal
  •  Cereal
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-03-13T22:11:52Z
ok well i got the harddrive to work and i used a boot disk. but now i cant get the DVD-ROM to work. i cant find any driver that will work for it. its really starting to piss me off.
Ramman
2005-03-14T10:43:31Z
Laptops are so much fun to reload everything .

Boot to BIOS and see if the drive is recognized. If not, you will need to reset CMOS. The battery is located under the keyboard towards the middle front. Once you have the case open and keyboard out of the way, pull the battery out for about 10 minutes. In fact as old as it is, I would just replace the battery. They're only a couple of dollars at Radio Shack.

Now that is done, boot to BIOS. you will need to reset all the values. Look in the security section, there might be a heading for boot sector protection. You want to disable this, with it enabled you will not be able to load your OS.

Did yours come with a system restore disk? If not you will need to go to the site and get all the drivers after you get the OS loaded. If you have a desktop, you could use that to download the drivers. Then extract them (probably in a zip file) and burn them to a CD. If not, you will need to find a driver for your modem or NIC before you can get the other drivers.

You will also need a suspend to disk partition. Not really needed to load the OS on most laptops, but some older ones do require this before an OS is loaded. What it's for is if you are using the laptop on battery mode and the battery is almost dead, it saves all info in RAM to the STD partition before it dies.
Cereal
  •  Cereal
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-03-14T19:51:09Z
ok im lookin the BIOS right now and the security is set to no, the cd rom in recognized. i just have no idea why its not working. oh yea, it didnt come with a battery. it just has the plug in.