ManUtdfans2003
2005-02-23T20:18:46Z
I am going to build a new system fo the following tasks:
1) Programming development (Delphi, VS .NET)
2) Connect to my DV camcorder to download the video (USB, VIVO, Firewire ?)
3) Simple video editing

What I cannot decide are the followings:
1) AMD Athlon 64 model or Pentium 4
AMD Athlon 64 939 pin 3200+ only has 2 GHz clock speed

I don't know how to compare as the price of here in Australia are:
AMD 3200+ $284
P4 has no 2 Ghz CPU, but P4 3.2 GHz $320

but they have different clock frequency.

Or the Sempron 3100+ is enough?

2) DDR RAM or DDR2 ?
Price of DDR2 is about 60% more expensive than DDR2 400.

3) Video card
It depends on my method of downloading the video to PC:
If I can make use of the firewire on motherboard, then I will just purchase a basic video card.

Is the firewire the most efficient method for video download ?
Or USB ?
Or I need to buy an expensive video card with VIVO ?
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-02-23T21:02:32Z
I'd see if you can still get a socket 478 CPU with an 865PE board for a good price.
maxime29
2005-02-23T21:11:29Z
Firewire is the best form of transfering your video to your computer. I can reference you to several groups that release videos of random skits online (even a couple from Austraila) who would say the same thing.

Make sure you have a roomy hard drive for the videos as a hard drive can fill up fast with video content.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-02-23T21:40:23Z
Well it's mostly because nearly all digital camcorders use the Firewire interface to hook up to a PC. Digital transfer is the ONLY way to go. Analogue capture is the stone age way.
InfinityzeN
2005-02-23T21:50:39Z
There are severl chats when I explain how a Athlon 64 can work as fast as a P4 when it is rated to same as the P4 is actually clocked. I'm not going to do it again since you just have to read a little and last time I explained it a big flame war broke out. But just trust me that the Athlon 64 can keep up with a P4 that matches it's rating on average.

I say on average because there are a few areas where the P4 is faster and a few areas where the Athlon 64 is. If you work with video the P4 would be a better bet. If you work with still pics I would say the Athlon 64.

The Athlon 64 platform will be a little cheaper as well.
ManUtdfans2003
2005-02-24T01:05:00Z
For the firewire transfer method, I need to buy a firewire card plug into my motherboard, right ? Any software I need to make it the video transferring ?
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-02-24T01:27:20Z
A lot of Motherboard have a fiewire port or possibly a firewire PCI back-plate that you just hook up to the Mobo headers.

EDIT Stick to this thread for all your questions on this system. When I sais you SHOULD have used the workshop section I didn't mean start another thread now. Let the other threads die and ask all your questions in this one.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-02-24T01:32:11Z
quote:

Originally posted by: ManUtdfans2003
For the 2 packages:
AUDIGY 2 VALUE and
AUDIGY 2 ZS

any differences in the sound quality
1) when I download the video from DV camcorder to PC and
2) do some video editing ?

When you capture through firewire your soundcard has no part in this process. You don't really edit the sound once it's on the PC> You can cut it, paste it etc but you're not really modifying the soundwaves so again soundcard doesn't matter here either.
maxime29
2005-02-24T11:16:46Z
The Audigy series just happens to offer the Firewire connection as an option. I honstly don't like it, since the sound card SHOULD be for audio connections and nothing extra.

Depending on if you are connecting multiple devices using a Firewire connection, you would need either a Firewire hub, or a PCI card.

You will need capturing software and obviously video editing software. Most manufacturers have products that do all of that in one program. Depending on your level of editing, Pinnacle Studio, Adobe Premier Pro, and a couple other programs are very popular. You can capture your video using those programs and edit them.
ManUtdfans2003
2005-02-24T19:04:13Z
So if the motherboard supports firewire, there is PROBABLY a rear connection for the firewire, I don't need to buy a firewire card ?
In addition, is the firewire connection take care of both video and sound ?
When I connect the firewire connection to my DV camcorder , how do I specify where to save my video on the hard disk ?
maxime29
2005-02-24T19:15:36Z
Most likely there will be a rear connection. Also depending on what case you get, there may be an extra Firewire connection on it somewhere. Again, it depends on whether you are going to have other perpheral devices connected via Firewire (like multiple external hard drives or CD/DVD burners). Then you would want to consider getting the card. If you are just using Firewire to hook up your camera, then there's no need for the card.

What MOBO were you looking at for your system btw?

The capturing of your video to the hard drive can be configured to capture both audio and video (you can also set it to just capture the audio, etc...). Where you save it is up to the settings of the program you use. 99% of the time you can customize where you want your video saved. For example, I use Adobe Premier Pro, and I have it set to capturing my video to my secondary hard drive (which is a 250GB Maxtor). I was able to customize the path of which it would be sent to.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-02-24T20:07:35Z
Yip as Maximise said the capture process is done all through the software.
ManUtdfans2003
2005-02-24T23:25:15Z
Again to rephrase my question:
If the motherboard supports firewire, then I just connect my DV camcorder to the rear firewire terminal. Then I run my video editing software like your said Adobe Premiere to capture the video by specifying the path of the hard disk ?

If this is the case, I solved my DV capture issue.
maxime29
2005-02-24T23:55:26Z
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-02-24T23:56:27Z
Yes. You hook up the cam, lauch Premiere, file menu, capture. It will ask you about a directory. It's just like any other program and of course it will ask you where you want to save it. Prem just needs some setting up when you first launch it.