heter
  •  heter
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-02-20T10:34:50Z
I've been using this program to clear up to 100mb of my ram before I play a game. I was onwdeing if anyone new if this is bad for ram?
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.75% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-02-20T12:41:52Z
I used to use something similar back when I was on Windows ME. I think it was called RAM Booster. Anyway, as soon as I upgraded to 2000 I never used it again. 2000's RAM management was another level and XP is based on 2000. Unless you are running an older OS I don't see any use for it.
InfinityzeN
2005-02-20T17:36:46Z
On anything with an NT core, a ram free'er will actually hurt performance. Both 2000 and XP are very powerful at managing their RAM since they are NT core'ed OS's. A RAM free'er will force things out of ram and onto the HDD that you actually need in RAM. When the OS has to swap them back to do things it will have to reorganize its whole swap table.
heter
  •  heter
  • 50.25% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-02-20T18:16:39Z
But I don't get why haveing 100mb more ram for a game to use won't help it run but closing programs running in the background will?
teqguy
2005-02-21T02:42:48Z
Those applications use memory flushing techniques which hinder performance more than they help it. Some of the flushing involves heavily paging data that is currently in memory, and vice versa. This could attribute to higher consumption of memory while it's being flushed, which would hinder performance while running a game or any other application for that matter.

You'd be better off tweaking your pagefile settings so that the pagefile doesn't resize itself. When it does this, pagefile fragmentation occurs and you end up with a sluggish system.

To do this, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced tab.

Click the Settings button under the Performance heading. Click the advanced tab, then click change under the Virtual Memory heading.

The formula for calculating your pagefile is 1.5 * your total system memory.

So, since you have 512MB of ram, it would be 768MB.

If you use this setting for both the Initial and Maximum pagefile sizes, the pagefile essentially never resizes, so fragementation will never occur.