JMerit
  •  JMerit
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-01-16T17:15:40Z
I'm working on setting up a Dual Monitor Display for my PC, and I'm running into a few problems. First I'll tell you what I've done, then what I've come up with as may be the problems.

What I've attempted to do is to use my current Graphics Card (BGF GeForce FX 5500 OC 256MB) and an old PCI card found on an old PC (S3 VIRGE GX/DX) in order to do this (That may be the problem as is...).

Assuming that the problem isn't somewhere in that you can't combine an AGP with a PCI or that the difference between the two cards is simply too high, I've had the following problems.

If I start it up with my BIOS reading the PCI slot first, it boots up fine, but there are no options for me to change to a Dual Display, if I open up my Device Manager, it tells me

Error Message wrote:
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

My Computer should be chewing through this on actual Resources, so I have no clue as to what that is referring to, only that it doesn't work.

Now, when I reconfigure my BIOS so that it reads the card in the AGP slot first, it ends up reading neither of the two cards, going to some system default setting that is in 4-bit colour and has a resolution of 640x480. Both of the cards are read as having errors according to the device manager.

I've been browsing for solutions, and one thing I found hinted that there may be no way to combine an AGP and a PCI card, although I can't see much reason for this and it wasn't directly stated in the article, rather inferred.

Also in another article it made a comment about have comparable Cards in there, so my 256MB probably wouldn't work with the other one seeing that it is a 4MB or whatever it may be. Now, the latter sounds a bit more plausible, but all things equal I'm in no mood to buy a high end PCI Video Card...

Any suggestions?
Sponsor
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-01-16T18:23:36Z
"I've been browsing for solutions, and one thing I found hinted that there may be no way to combine an AGP and a PCI card, although I can't see much reason for this and it wasn't directly stated in the article, rather inferred."

I have done this in the past with the AGP Radeon in my sig and a PCI Geforce 2 MX400 and it worked fine and with no driver conflicts.

Does your Motherboard have on-board video?
Burtie21
2005-01-16T23:20:35Z
maximum pc told you how to do it in the september issue of this year how to do it(Dream machine issue), they used 2 ATI cards to avoid driver conflicts, but I'm almost certain they said that you could do it with an ATI and Nvidia card, maybe that s3 virge thing is to old, if you can, try borrowing a freinds pci card too see if it works

Other than that i dont really know...sorry
InfinityzeN
2005-01-21T18:29:36Z
If your using an Nvidia main card, you need an Nvidia PCI card since their Nview multi monitor software doesn't play nice with others. I had that problem while trying to get the 3rd monitor in my setup working with an old Voodoo Banshee and picked up a GF MX4000 for under $50 bucks. Uninstalled the Voodoo drivers, dropped the MX in my system, and blame. Was easy as cake.

If your in the US, go to Newegg.com, click on videocards, pick PCI interface, and scroll down for a nvidia based chipset. They got an MX 400 for $37 and an MX 440 for $42. Also have an MX 4000 for $46.

Cheers