ManicKenny
2005-01-14T12:11:35Z
I've never built a computer, but have been taking em apart and upgrading parts for years so I am a pseudo newbie!!

My last three computers have been Gateways and their quality has diminished over the years dramatically and now that I research motherboards and chipsets and X it is more apparent it would be better to build a computer then buy a package deal. I am a cheap SOB so I want the performance but don't want to pay for it so I want to build a system that I could keep for 3+ years and make only minor modifications w/o replacing the whole motherboard and all associated hardware.

My thought is to go with the 64 bit processor but get a motherboard that I can upgrade the processor in later. (BTW I use my computer for gaming, financial models and will be getting my Masters in CS soon so will be doing some development too. )

It seams that there isn't much difference between the major motherboard manufacturers but seems best to stick to ASUS, Gigabyte or Abit. Is that correct??

Want AMD because when it comes down to it I can handle problems with statistical programs, but I hate it when a game doesn't perform adequately (especially when playing online and getting thwaked cause my computer sucks).

My proposed system:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (939 socket) (no idea what the hell 939 socket means any quick gouge would be nice)
With either a ASUS A8V-E Deluxe board with VIA K8T890 or perhaps a Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI or GA-K8NXP-9 (still trying to figure out what SLI is)

Getting the motherboards from (http://www2.amd.com/us-en/recmobo/ResultsHandler/1,,30_182_869_9460^9461~73649,00.html) which I figure is a good list to work off of. When compare it with the 64 FX 55 list there are a few matches and these are the ones I pulled.

Any advise would be appreciated...Even if it is "hey looks good, happy gaming!!"
Sponsor
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-01-14T12:17:45Z
Then it's simple, go with an Athlon 64 3000+ (the cheapest Socket 939 CPU) and a Socket 939 Motherboard (most upgradeable). If you want something that's going to be easy to upgrade in the future then you really have to look into boards with PCI-E as this is slot all future graphics cards will use, the problem is none of these boards are cheap.

EDIT: When I first replied you didn't have the system specs you planned
ManicKenny
2005-01-14T12:22:04Z
holy sh*t...! Didn't expect to get an answer that quick.

Any advise where to find a good price on processors and mobo?
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-01-14T12:23:21Z
If you're in the US, newegg.
ManicKenny
2005-01-14T12:29:18Z
Anyone think you need a UPS to stabilize the power going into your PC?
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-01-14T12:33:56Z
Nope. Use a surge protector though.
HUFF N PUFF
2005-01-14T17:55:10Z
Jordan gave you very good advice . There are 2 points I would make however .
1 for online gaming a moderate pc works just as well as a top end PC AMD or intel connection speed is bottleneck.
2 Upgrade ability as you know dualcore processor are around the corner and the new AMD dual core well require a differant socket it was recently disclosed.
Blackwolf359
2005-01-17T22:55:17Z
I just bought the A8V Deluxe mobo, & an AMD 64 3500+. It is a sweet setup. It puts my old P4 2.8 to shame. I'm a convert, never will i go back to a P4. I'm using a ATI 9800 pro, but am saving up for the best i can buy. Not sure if i'll stick with ATI or go to Nvidia. I'll have to look into them some more.

Anyway, i think you have made a good choice if you go with the A8V D.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-01-17T22:58:17Z
"for online gaming a moderate pc works just as well as a top end PC AMD or intel connection speed is bottleneck."

Yeah your connection speed is potentially the biggest limiter (unless your PC is really slow). Cable is a minimum.

"Not sure if i'll stick with ATI or go to Nvidia. I'll have to look into them some more."

At the moment nVidia is the best and only a 6800GT at minimum would warrant an upgrade from your still decent 9800 Pro. The Ati X850 range (revised X800s) is one to watch though.