SilentSpectre
2005-01-10T20:58:32Z
http://www.anandtech.com.../showdoc.aspx?i=2317&p=2 

Please note the caption under the image showing the task manager. I find this to be really interesting because hyperthreading has long since been a tangible performance booster in most applications for the p4 family. I've come up with the following speculations, but of course any or none of them could be correct:
1) Since it's still an early model (though running at the 2nd highest speed intel expects to ship next year) it's possible it's just an oversite between the cpu and/or the OS. This seems unlikely because I'm sure intel and MS have a relationship good enough that they'd be validating their respective products even in an early phase.
2) It's possible that hyperthreading was removed from these cores. I've seen lots of fan sites claim that for gaming you'd want it disabled to begin with, and I've seen other sites that show the opposite - and of course this could vary greatly on the game.
3) I've always thought that hyperthreading was the lead in to multi-core and it could be that my theory was correct, but it seems odd to ditch a technology that could make up for the extra long ppppppppppprrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeessssssssssscccccccccccoooooooottttttttttttttt pipeline, especially when running at such an incredibly low speed (3.2ghz is all that's planned on the intel front for 2005).
Sponsor
clee
  •  clee
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2005-01-11T04:08:15Z
Interesting article, and I just managed to read thru the whole 18 pages review.
I'm not sure if HT is the lead in to muti-core or not but the caching architecture on a SMP/SMT is waaaay more complicated than that on the current P4s. That may be the reason why Chipzilla drops the ball.
But I agree with u that HT is pretty much a "must" to keep the pipeline filled.
SilentSpectre
2005-01-11T06:17:00Z
yeah cache coherency = fun
bob_on_the_cob
2005-01-11T14:36:59Z
I have heard intel is dropping HT with the dual core cpus. I was expecting them to run even slower than 3.0. so that was a shock for me. the drop of HT is a disappointment for me. I had a 3.0 P4 and wanted to see how much HTing helps and it really does seem to help. As for games I got about the same 3D Mark score with or without HT enabled. I think it was like 10 points hight without HT, but with everyday use it shows a noticable boost. I usually have about ten or so windows open at one time and everything was much quicker with HT. HTing has helped some software companys code for multi core pcs. So it may come to help both AMD and Intel in the long run with multi cores.
Jordan
  •  Jordan
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • Advanced Member
2005-01-11T14:50:00Z
" I have heard intel is dropping HT with the dual core cpus."

With dual-core CPUs there's no need for HT. Having 2 CPUs (effectively what 2 cores is, just using a single BUS) is what HT is supposed to emulate

Dual-Cores will obviously help in porfessional programs that are written to utalise SMP systems but if dual-core becomes the next standard then games will be coded accordingly.
Nerts
2005-01-11T19:19:19Z
Yeah but with HT on the Dual core cpus it's be like having 4 cpus (yeah i know software has to be coded and all but it can't be that much harder to do if you'r already adding another thread anyways.)

If i can remember correctly the goal with HT in the Future was to be able to handle more then just that one extra thread but multiple ones to truly use the "full" power of the cpu. but that was back in the day when they were talking about that ie when HT just came out on the 3.06.
Nerts
2005-01-13T00:36:09Z
Well according to Davo and the intel booth at CES "They also confirmed for us some late breaking news that in fact Dual Core Pentium 4s will support Hyperthreading for quad logical CPU core system representation and this came direct from Intel CEO Craig Barrett supposedly." so good times