BoNgBoNg
2001-10-10T10:45:30Z
okay...my nick is bongbong(it's actually part of my chinese name LOL - and no i don;t smoke them ^_^)

I am going to build my computer soon (with my own money for once) and i have done ALOT of homework - reading over 10 to 20 sites for updates of news and info on different areas concerning a computer... and there's still something that puzzles me alot....it's the brand of motherboard.

- KT266A (all i have done is make the conclusion on which chipset i would get - and it's this. I have NO IDEA what brands of motherboards are out there with this chipset and i have NO IDEA how much they would cost....anyone mind filling me in with this one??? and plz if anyone knows WHAT DETERMINES THE DIFFERENCES IN PERFORMANCES between diff. brand motherboards with the same chipsets plz tell me too *_*)

and that is it....plz comment wherever..... - i know there are ALOT of questions - but i am seriously lost.......other than the fact that i know a few jargon of computers from reading magazines and stuff and i seriously lost...would anyone like to help out??? plz..
Sponsor
point
2001-10-10T11:05:54Z
well, you will start to see more and more KT266a motherboards come out real soon... most of them are product demo's sent to sites to help show how well the board is stability/performance wise. What you want to do is read features on each board... some will come with 2 DIMM slots, some with 4... some mobo's will have an AMR[Audio Modem Riser] (which are pooo!) and some will come with ISA slots.

Check to see where the ATX power connector is on the board... some are in weird spots which really make it difficult to work with, and some have capacitors around the socket which then hinders what heatsyncs you can put on the motherboard.

most people are buying motherboards w/ raid on them, mainly because if they don't use the raid setup, they can connect 4 more devices to their board

I personally will only buy Abit and Asus boards. I have dealt too much with Iwill, Epox, Gigabyte in my repair shop, and frankly don't like the support behind them. But that is a personal opinion. Everyone has been REALLY happy with the KG-7 and KG-7 Raid boards... I believe the KR-7 will be Abit's KT266a chipset.

Each mobo manufacturer does thing's a little different, and offer a few different things for their motherboards which set them from the rest...

Hope this helps some.
kodger
2001-10-10T12:30:48Z
I also commented but in the Lounge where your original post was ...heh
BoNgBoNg
2001-10-10T12:42:52Z
hey thx so much for helping out...

mind me asking this:

what is RAID? and what slots do most cards use now??? the long one or the shorter ones (sorry i don;t know their technical names)

once again - thx ^_^
kodger
2001-10-10T13:05:25Z
RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) is basically a way to provide redundancy or better performance. There are many different types of RAID - 0, 1, 0+1, 3, 5, etc, etc...

Basically what most PC users use RAID for is to have the ability to do striping (RAID 0). What striping provides you is instead of writing all data to one disk it alternates writing to one disk then another disk...i.e. If you ABCDEF the data is written as follows - Disk 1 - A, Disk 2 - B; Disk 1 - C, Disk 2 - D; Disk 1 - E, Disk 2 - F, and on and on. Where a regular disk would be Disk 1 - A, Disk 1 - B, Disk 1 - C, Disk 1 - D, Disk 1 - E, Disk 1 - F. So basically you double your throughput. Why this helps so much is because you disk I/O is usually the slowest part in the system.

As for slots on the mobo - on most new boards there are two different types of slots. PCI and AGP. AGP is solely used for graphics cards while PCI can be used for Soundcards, Network Cards, SCSI cards, etc, etc. On some older boards you will find ISA slots. These were the norm before PCI was considered to be the standard. The slots are color coded....AGP = brown, PCI = white, and ISA = black.
BoNgBoNg
2001-10-10T13:09:20Z
checking my celeron...now i know how outdated it is...
doesn;t even have a AGP slot lol
i have only 1 of each ISA and PCI...

anyways - thx, i'll try to read about RAID more - didn;t 100% get what u say.... -let me ask u another simple question (solly) what do all those RAID 1,3,5....means???
kodger
2001-10-10T13:17:22Z
They are just different levels of RAID....RAID 0 is striping - RAID 1 is mirroring...etc.

Here is one site....http://serverwatch.internet.com/articles/raid/ 

Here is another site....http://www.adaptec.com/worldwid...logy%2fRAID%2f&type=RAID 
BoNgBoNg
2001-10-10T13:23:23Z
thx alot mate - i've bookmarked them and will read them tomorrow
it's 3:22AM here in sydney...time for some sleep lol - getting too excited over buying a new computer with my own money for the first time - btw. i'm only 18
kodger
2001-10-10T13:50:26Z
Hehe...I know where you are. I bought my first machine about that time. Was very excited waiting for the parts to arrive.
Golden Blood
2001-10-10T17:19:06Z
There is also the 64bit PCI slots, they are also white...

just longer, and 32 bit cards will work in them.

They are on the new Tyan MB's
BoNgBoNg
2001-10-11T01:04:12Z
okay...just let me get this straight - RAID comes with the hard drive itself right? or the motherboard????

(that is the most basic question and yet i don;t know the answer.....)

one more thing....the reason why my proposed system doens;t have a HD is because my dad already bought me one...and right now i have these problems with it:

i had (and still using it as a slave) a 6.4Gb 5200 rpm HD which came with the celeron. I asked my dad to buy me a MUCH larger HD that runs on 7200 rpm and so he did, he bought a quantum 30Gb at 7200rpm (as written in the little plastic box...)

anyways....for some reason i always get the feeling that my new hard drive is slower than my old one...dont; know why...

how did i notice??? - well on both my hard drive i have Counter Strike on it....basically i tried to play with my old drive and it works fine (like normally), but when i unplugg my old drive and plug in my new drive and play on that (therefore all my other devices are exactly identical), sometimes i get weird sounds or sudden algs when it is trying to load from the HD.....

does anyone know how i can test my harddrive out??
etsd311
2001-10-11T01:13:21Z
RAID is an "option" you can get with a motherboard.
all (i think all) hard drives can run in a RAID configuration. it's just best to get 2 matching HDD. that way they run the same, are the same size, and won't conflict with each other.

HD Tach download the proggy on that page. it's a small benchmark for your HDD. with this proggy i found out my WD 13.6 7200rpm was slower than my Maxtor 10.2 5400rpm!! :rolleyes: (i HATE western digital) :mad:
BoNgBoNg
2001-10-11T08:29:10Z
so let me try to get this straight....i need TWO harddrives to do this????? RAID thing?
BoNgBoNg
2001-10-11T09:29:45Z
Quote:

Originally posted by etsd311
RAID is an "option" you can get with a motherboard.
all (i think all) hard drives can run in a RAID configuration. it's just best to get 2 matching HDD. that way they run the same, are the same size, and won't conflict with each other.

HD Tach download the proggy on that page. it's a small benchmark for your HDD. with this proggy i found out my WD 13.6 7200rpm was slower than my Maxtor 10.2 5400rpm!! :rolleyes: (i HATE western digital) :mad:

hm...etsd311 - i just downloaded he program and i would like to ask you a few things if you don;t mind...

if someone else can answer it and enlighten my stupidity - plz feel free

what do they mean?:

-Random Access Time
-Read Burst Speed
-Sequential Speed
-CPU utilization
kodger
2001-10-11T10:57:57Z
First you do need a RAID controller - many boards come with them now built-in but you can also buy an expansion card. For RAID 0 and 1 you need 2 drives...RAID 3 and above utilizes 3 drives or greater.

These are my defs...if you look in the Help it probably will have them defined.

Random Access time is the time it takes to "seek" to a random position on the disk and access the information.

Read Burst is the max throughput on a read with a burst of information....burst = big chunk

Sequential speed is the the max throughput when sequentiallly reading data from a drive i.e. start at point A and read through point G.

CPU Utilization is when accessing the disk controllers how much CPU utilization does it take. I.e. all tasks take CPU time (utilization) but the ones that take less leave more time for the CPU to do other things (i.e. communicate with the graphics card, etc).